Papyrus Compiler crashing, not able to make scripts.

imacatlolol

Every time I go to make a new script, Windows pops up with "PapyrusCompiler has stopped working."

After that, a Papyrus error pops up with:

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1
   at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
   at PCompiler.Compiler.Assemble(String asObjectName)
   at PCompiler.Compiler.Compile(String asObjectName, String asFlagsFile, Boolean abOptimize)
   at PapyrusCompiler.Program.CompilerThread()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Never had this problem before, not sure why I am now. I've tried validating and reinstalling fresh versions of both Skyrim and Creation Kit to no avail.

---

Edit (9/18/19)

Solved! It seems that sometimes, the Papyrus Compiler simply doesn't have permission to access certain critical files.

Play around with the install locations of Skyrim and the CK; move them outside of Program Files, and ideally to an entirely different drive.

Also, make sure to run the CK is administrator mode, just in case.

Edited by imacatlolol

Parameter name has to have a value can't be null

Yes, I understand that, but how can I fix it? It's not an issue with my code, since I haven't even gotten to the point where I can write anything. This error prevents me from even making my own scripts to begin with.

No did you have any steam updates lately regarding papyrus, ck?

Or did you update your windows, or maybe your antivirus is blocking papayrus?

No updates that I'm aware of, and I've set the Skyrim directory to be excluded from my antivirus... I was just using it a few months back, I don't know why it's suddenly decided to stop working now. I did a fresh reinstall of all of my steam games a little while ago, so that's probably part of it.