Why the HECK hasn't it happened yet?

CrashMasterJMM

By all means, I'm not copping an attitude when I ask this... this is a legitimately honest question... in all the time that Fallout 4 has been around, WHY the HELL hasn't a working-drivable-controllable car, motorcycle or aircraft mod been made yet!!?? I don't mean sit in something click on the map and it takes you there mod. I mean YOU drive it yourself. Isn't it about time? lol

The simple reason is the same reason you move slowly by default. The cells are rendored based on area distance and need time to load. There is no PC in existance that could handle a 60mph trip through the wasteland. With that in mind the vehicles would have to be fairly slow like existing movement making them rather pointless outside of surrounding yourself in a shell made of nuclear explosion eggshell if you kept to lore with the default statistics of vehicles. I you watch even the vertibirds travel at roughly running speed as is.

Why the hell has nobody made a mod to allow me to dig into the ground ? /s

Consider the ground you are standing on plane Y. Y=0. Everything that you can touch is in some way positioned according to its relation to Y (trees dirt cars you). While some things do go below Y they are still attached to Y as the physics would otherwise have them falling infinitly without tht anchor. In order to create the option to "dig" under the default plane what you would actually be doing is creating and anchoring containers at and below Y. Though it would work similarly to placing prefab structures in the workshop because you are effectivly building in an are that doesn't have rendored wordspace the likelyhood of errors and glitches not to mention performance drops and crashes would be prohibitive to allow for an across the board "dig anywhere" mod. It would be far more stable to build up from the current zero plane and THEN dig down into that construction.

Basicly if you want to go mining you have to build a mountain first. I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done the workshop method above but the amount that would have to go into it for the sake of stabiluty exceeds the attention span (and for some skill set) of the mod authers.

This could be done but the vehicle would have to be considered a race like power armor is. Then it just has to be able to fly or move differently but one thing that gets my attention about this is how do vertibirds work?

A vertibird is considered a "creature" with its own 'VertibirdRace.' It has limb data just like a dog or ghoul.

The .nif has built-in controllers (which I don't understand yet) and some kind of state machine which determines when the propellors turn on/ off, when landing gear retracts, etc. it seems like a lot of functionality was shunted onto the nif instead of being controlled in CK, which is annoying because I've been trying to mod vertibirds for months with no success, due to the brick wall of nif manipulation.

Something so simple as turning off the cabin and cockpit lights is frustratingly hard... still can't do it, I can see the light emitters attached to nif, I can turn them off, but they turn back on in-game. Really want to know how this whole controller thing works.

My ultimate goal with vbirds is to remove the minigun (or have it switch from side-to-side) and have the doors close when you are in the air. I've never been able to kill anything with minigun anyway... accuracy is poor from such high altitude.

I'm also trying to make more generators for settlements, and again, the same problem. The on/off sound is controlled by the nif itself, has little to do with CK. Like I said it feels like nif's now include a state machine for repaired/broken, on/off, lights, sound, vibration, etc. I can't find where this state machine info is stored so I can't do much about it.

Edit: I'd bet a few dollars that the flight behavior of VertiBirds is directly taken from the flight behavior of dragons in Skyrim. Something about that aimless circling, and the flickering between high-and-low res... no coincidence.

Edit2: There is some kind of furniture markers determining where NPCs can sit or stand within the vertibird, just like a chair or crafting station.

Edited by mkborgelt13

This could be done but the vehicle would have to be considered a race like power armor is. Then it just has to be able to fly or move differently but one thing that gets my attention about this is how do vertibirds work?

A vertibird is considered a "creature" with its own 'VertibirdRace.' It has limb data just like a dog or ghoul.

The .nif has built-in controllers (which I don't understand yet) and some kind of state machine which determines when the propellors turn on/ off, when landing gear retracts, etc. it seems like a lot of functionality was shunted onto the nif instead of being controlled in CK, which is annoying because I've been trying to mod vertibirds for months with no success, due to the brick wall of nif manipulation.

Something so simple as turning off the cabin and cockpit lights is frustratingly hard... still can't do it, I can see the light emitters attached to nif, I can turn them off, but they turn back on in-game. Really want to know how this whole controller thing works.

My ultimate goal with vbirds is to remove the minigun (or have it switch from side-to-side) and have the doors close when you are in the air. I've never been able to kill anything with minigun anyway... accuracy is poor from such high altitude.

I'm also trying to make more generators for settlements, and again, the same problem. The on/off sound is controlled by the nif itself, has little to do with CK. Like I said it feels like nif's now include a state machine for repaired/broken, on/off, lights, sound, vibration, etc. I can't find where this state machine info is stored so I can't do much about it.

Edit: I'd bet a few dollars that the flight behavior of VertiBirds is directly taken from the flight behavior of dragons in Skyrim. Something about that aimless circling, and the flickering between high-and-low res... no coincidence.

Edit2: There is some kind of furniture markers determining where NPCs can sit or stand within the vertibird, just like a chair or crafting station.

Most of that data you need may be embedded into its behaviour graph as well, which is inaccessible through the nif.

Edited by TummaSuklaa

Most of that data you need may be embedded into its behaviour graph as well, which is inaccessible through the nif.

Oh, what is behavior graph?? I haven't heard of this before, might be what I am looking for.

Anything that has animation has a behavior graph/file, and knowing what those are is key to working with animations. Propellers turning, etc, it's all animation. The nif contains the data for its motion, I mean you obviously need to rig it in a 3D program's animation set, but it wont tell you the event names which when exposed can be used in the CK, I think.

You can check out the various animation mods, or head over to Skyrim nexus and look FNIS and ask Fore about it, if he's still around to offer help/advice on animations.

Now not trying to get your hopes up here, for I might be a little off the mark(zero experience with animations), but I know Beth loves to lock stuff behind controllers and animation files(not accessible unless you have a tool to extract the files). But it's another thing you can look into if you're wanting some more venues to explore to get to the bottom of your issue.

Eh, not everything that has an animation requires a hkx file.

So those .hkx files are some kind of state machine/graph that drives the "controller" inside a nif? You know what I'm referring to, how there are "states" attached to the nif. I included a screenshot of the "states" for a vertibird.

http://imgur.com/a/V1QWw

How can I "hook" into these states and manually control them, with script or otherwise?

I feel, instinctually, there should be some API in Papyrus like "set Vertibird_ref NiControllerSequence.X_FXPropBlurLeftStart(1.0)"

I work with C# and am not that familiar with Papyrus syntax.