Can you make followers use ONLY certain weapon & armor types?

Gabby2805

I'm in the process of making a follower. I want him to be an archer who wears only light armor.

I've already created a combat style based on the csHumanMissile one, but I was wondering if AI Packages could give me some further control?

Ideally, he would use a bow like 95% of the time but switch to a dagger or sword ONLY if enemies surrounded him. However, I don't think this is possible. In his combat style, I set the equipment score mults for ranged to 9.0 and melee to 1.0. I also set the Fallback mult to 10.0 in the close range tab. However, I noticed that if I want him to carry a two-handed weapon then he would use this in close combat which I really do not want since he has no skills in two-handed and that's not the kind of guy I want him to be. Is there any way I can tweak this or would I be better of simply setting the melee equipment score mult to 0 and have him a bit stupidly using a bow in 100% of situations?

Also, is there a way I can set his AI to ONLY wear Light Armor? I want him to carry Heavy Armor but not equip it since this defeats the purpose of his class and skills.

I'm really not sure what should be in the AI Packages tab for Followers, so far I just have the DefaultSandboxCurrentLocation1024...

Followers will by default equip the highest rated gear even if that gear does not match what they are designed to wear. The only way I can think to really solve the issue is to not store items you don't want them to use on their person.

I can't think of it right now, but I've seen one mod that used a dialog option on the follower to access a "backpack container" associated with that follower. This allowed the player to store items "on the follower" without them actually being on the follower.

Followers will by default equip the highest rated gear even if that gear does not match what they are designed to wear. The only way I can think to really solve the issue is to not store items you don't want them to use on their person.

I can't think of it right now, but I've seen one mod that used a dialog option on the follower to access a "backpack container" associated with that follower. This allowed the player to store items "on the follower" without them actually being on the follower.

Thanks for your reply :) I think you're right - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to set their armor type in Creation Kit.

I can choose what he wears thanks to 'Immersive Amazing Follower Tweaks' (and the original AFT mod lets you do this too) but I was just trying to set it so that it would happen for people who don't have one of these mods. No matter, I'll just have to recommend it on my mod page when I upload him.

I still have to do some more fiddling around with his Combat Style and possibly AI Packages to get his weapon usage right.