Fomod and merging plugins

damanding

Quince99 has a great series of restored locations and a number of us want a FOMOD installer which lets us pick the ones we want from his series and install as just one esp. Quince99 asked for help on this and I thought it would be a good learning experience since I wanted to learn how to do FOMOD installers for my own future mod plans. So currently there are 7 different mods, each with their own esp and loose files (many of the loose files are identical between mods). Ideally the FOMOD installer lets you pick which ones you want, lets say person A only wants 6 of the 7, and then installs one ESP that is a rollup of the 6 out of 7 chosen. I've looked at the FOMOD Creation Tool: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6821 and I've looked at Shinrastrife's tutorial for creating the xml files from scratch: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3455360-tutorial-for-building-nmm-installer-scripts. Shinrastrife says NMM can't edit/combine plugins on the fly and having looked at what the xml does this makes sense. If the mods were nothing but loose files it would be as simple as using the conditions to determine which ones to install based on the choices made. Installing the plugins based on conditions is fairly easy to figure out as well but this doesn't solve the problem of trying to reduce plugin count.

What I want to figure out is how is combining the plugins themselves handled? For example rdunlap has the Rebuilt Series for fixing up settlements. There is a FOMOD installer where you can pick which of the series you want and it installs just one plugin file. I've tried googling various phrases around merging plugins but I'm apparently using the wrong terms because all I get are examples of people using FO4edit to manually merge plugins for personal use and that's not what I'm looking for. I'm missing some key understanding of the packaging process and I apparently lack the knowledge to even know what to search for so I can learn.