Question for moderators - Post or not post

Ingolfson

This is to the moderators: recently, after starting a thread about what people would like to see in future Morrowind games, I suddenly found the thread locked and the following message sent to me. Since the admin concerned did not answer my clarification question, could someone please enlighten me?

I've pasted the exchange below:

QUOTE (from Malchik)

This is a very difficult and subjective issue. However the moderators have specific instructions from admin. They would rather old threads were revived than new ones started on topics already discussed. But note, as I put in my reply when locking the thread (not a black mark against you by the way) that the post must have new, relevant and interesting info.

We're not really as nasty as some members think (because they want to post spam!)

Anyway, enjoy the forums and any questions feel free to PM me.

QUOTE END (from Malchik)

QUOTE (from me)

I don't mind moderators who are 'up to the bat' (if I get that US saying correctly). But you got me confused now:

You state (as far as I can remember, in very serious terms) that 'thread necromancy' is forbidden - meaning that *old*, inactive threads should not be continued. Now you lock my *new* thread.

That would make it impossible to discuss (something like) that at all!

With 'you state' I meant that I was sure I had read that somewhere else on the site. And the post name should be 'Post or not post' (too late...).

Topic fixed.

Now, to answer your question, I think you're just a bit confused about what exactly necromancy is. Posting a "Yes, I agree. :) " reply in a thread that died months ago is necromancy. Continuing a valid discussion isn't. Just be sure you're really adding something new and useful to the topic and not just posting for the post count +1. A topic like the one you tried to make has multiple discussion threads already, some of them fairly recent. And its a topic that's pretty open ended, unlike the "where is npc x" threads that are the usual problem of thread necromancy.

Hi Ingolfson. I replied to your message as soon as I got it but I'm not on the forum full time owing to the fact that I do have a life! With that and Peregrine's comments above, I hope you are no longer confused.

Cheers

Archived