Please review my planned list of mods

mauvecloud

I'm still somewhat new to posting in this particular forum, but I hope this is an acceptable section for this post, since I don't see a better place for it.

I'm planning to use the following mods in a new game soon (not listing utilities):

A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - with Roads
Amazing Follower Tweaks
ApachiiSkyHair
ApachiiSkyHair on NPCs USLEEP and USKP compatible
Athletics Training
Beautiful Whiterun
Better Dialogue Controls
Better Dynamic Snow
Better MessageBox Controls
Civil War Overhaul
Climates of Tamriel
Cloaks of Skyrim
Clothing and Clutter Fixes
Colored Map Markers Updated
Combine Potions
Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade
Consistent Older People
Convenient Crossbows
Crossbows Basic Collection
Dawnstar Fortified
Dead Body Collision Fix
Death Alternative - Your Money or Your Life
Dragon Soul Relinquishment
Dual Sheath Redux
Dynamic Things - Woodpiles and Barrels and More Oh My
Enhanced Lights and FX
Even Better Quest Objectives
Extended Stormcloak Armor Variety
Extended UI
Falskaar
Fast travel timescale fix
Follower Commentary Overhaul
Gildergreen Regrown
Guard Dialogue Overhaul
Harvest Overhaul
Hearthfire multiple adoptions
Height Adjusted Races with True Giants
Helgen Reborn
Hold Border Banners
Immersive Armors
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul
Immersive College of Winterhold
Immersive Patrols
Immersive Player Dialogue
Immersive Speechcraft
Immersive Wait And Sleep Menu
Immersive Weapons
Imperial Legion Armor Variety
Improved NPC Clothing - High Res
Improved Waterfall LOD
Infinite Gold For Merchants
Jaysus Swords
Lakeview Manor Dock and Shack
Lanterns of Skyrim
Learn Alchemy From Recipes
LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Weapons
Less Intrusive HUD II
Loot and Degradation
Lore-Based Loading Screens
Main Font Replacement
Map Overhaul
More Village Animals
MoreHUD

Morthal Fortified
No empty tag on empty containers
No NPC Greetings
No Psychic Lock Knowledge
No Spinning Death Animation
NPCs Use Ammo
Perseids Inns and Taverns
Point The Way
RaceMenu
Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD
Real Names
Realistic Ragdolls and Force
Realistic Water Two
Realistic Weapon Positions
Remove repeating sOverEncumbered message
Revamped Exterior Fog
Ruins Clutter Improved
Safety Load
Simply Knock
SkyFalls + SkyMills
Skyforge Plus
SkyUI
Skyrim Better Roads
Skyrim Bigger Trees
Skyrim Community Uncapper
Skyrim Distance Overhaul LOD Improvement
Skyrim Flora Overhaul
Skyrim Hair Physics Project (liked the idea, but as far as I can tell, it only handles 1 hair mesh for females and 1 for males, and the files are almost 3 years old, making the project seem somewhat abandoned)
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures
Skyrim Immersive Creatures
Skyrim NPC Overhaul ("Skyrim NPC Overhual isn’t compatible with mods that alter/change vanilla NPCs and vanilla Perks." - I expect that means it won't be compatible with SPERG)
SLOP - SPERG Lockpicking Overhaul by ProtonZero

SPERG
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Thieves Guild Requirements
TK Children
Unique Dragon Priest Masks
Unique Uniques
Unofficial High Resolution Patch
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch
Waterbreathing Breathless Emerge
Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade
Wearable Lanterns
Wet and Cold

and I wanted to check if there were any issues that I might have failed to notice, such as known incompatibilities, conceptual conflicts, redundant mods, or obsolete mods whose functionality is included in newer/more comprehensive mods with different names. Also, if there are mods I didn't list that are closely related to mods in the list, I might consider adding them.

Edited by mauvecloud

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I made some changes to the list as I downloaded the mods and noticed issues with a few mods, or related mods that I wanted. However, after installing all of the listed mods and their requirements, and sorting with LOOT, when I went to start a new game, it stalled for over 5 minutes. I'm not sure I'd be able to get it to generate logs to figure out what's going on, since I wasn't able to view the task manager to stop Skyrim and had to use my computer's reset button. IDK if that's normal for running Skyrim in Windows 10, or if ENBoost or something interfered, but I figure my best bet is to reinstall mods a few at a time and see at what point it becomes too laggy when starting a new game.

I plan to start with USLEEP and UHRP, then SMIM and the related mods mentioned on its description page (since it covers which should be installed before and after it), then CWO (with its requirements). I'm open to suggestions for the sequence of which mods to try installing after that.

Edit: apparently that was caused by SSME, which according to its description isn't even needed with the latest SKSE, despite what the CWO description says.

Edited by mauvecloud

Update 2: I've gotten part way through carefully reinstalling mods, mostly one at a time, and have been able to get it to sometimes start a new game successfully (other times it gets stuck on the initial loading screen, or once in a while it CTDs), but then I got to "No NPC Greetings", and at least 4 attempts to start a new game with that installed have been unsuccessful. I'm really confused that this mod could cause such a problem.

Here's the load order copied from LOOT to show which other mods from my list I've already reinstalled:

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
6 6 Falskaar.esm
7 7 daymoyl.esm
8 8 HighResTexturePack01.esp
9 9 HighResTexturePack02.esp
10 a HighResTexturePack03.esp
11 b Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
12 c EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
13 d Skyrim Bigger Trees Full.esp
14 e ELFX - Exteriors.esp
15 f SMIM-DragonbornTernFix.esp
16 10 SMIM-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp
17 11 SMIM-DungeonsCliffsIceSkirts.esp
18 12 SkyUI.esp
19 13 Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
20 14 Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
21 15 SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
22 16 SDO Full-LOD - Waterfall Effects.esp
23 17 SkyFalls DB + FS Small Waterfalls.esp
24 18 SkyFalls + SkyMills Falskaar.esp
25 19 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
26 1a SDO Full-LOD - The Morthal Swamp Complete.esp
27 1b RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Falskaar.esp
28 1c RealisticWaterTwo - Falskaar.esp
29 1d ELFXEnhancer.esp
30 1e Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
31 1f Civil War Overhaul.esp
32 20 Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
33 21 ELFX - Weathers.esp
34 22 dD-No Spinning Death Animation Merged.esp
35 23 dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
36 24 RaceMenu.esp
37 25 RaceMenuPlugin.esp
38 26 FNIS.esp
39 27 Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
40 28 Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
41 29 RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
42 2a Immersive Armors for NPC's Revisited DG.esp
43 2b Unique Dragon Priest Masks.esp
44 2c Beautiful Whiterun.esp
45 2d RealisticWhiterun.esp
46 2e XPMSE.esp
47 2f Cloaks.esp
48 30 SMIM-FarmhouseFlickeringFix.esp
49 31 StormcloakCuirassEnhanced.esp
50 32 RevampedExteriorFog.esp
51 33 Athletics Training.esp
52 34 SDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.esp
53 35 SMIM-ShackRoofFixes.esp
54 36 SMIM-RiftenDocksRopesObjectFix.esp
55 37 SDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.esp
56 38 SMIM-ShackRoofFixesDragonborn.esp
57 39 ConvenientCrossbows.esp
58 3a Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp
59 3b wizDynamicThings.esp
60 3c HearthfireMultiKid.esp
61 3d HearthfireMultiKid_LastName.esp
62 3e No NPC Greetings.esp

I've found that I can Alt+F4 out when it stalls on the loading screen, so I can provide logs if that will help, or possibly I can provide other details. Please let me know.

I can't imagine that mod stack will ever be incredibly stable in a playthrough. It's nothing you're doing wrong, and it's nothing the mods are individually doing wrong, but when combined, you may observe a less than optimal experience.

Wet & Cold doesn't always play nice with mods that affect NPC AI, particularly those that try to protect NPCs from attacks by specific creatures. The issue doesn't always manifest, but when it does, you may find your NPCs won't ever stop cowering or come out to play, or that if it's raining or snowing when the attack occurs, then it stops raining or snowing while the attack is still going on, then the NPCs may decide that's the signal for all clear, then come back outside. If you're lucky, they'll immediately run for cover again, but sometimes they'll forget either mod is loaded and attack a vampire or dragon. Furthermore, you may have some redundancy with Immersive Citizens and some of those AI mods you have loaded.

One big issue with mods that add new NPCs to the game is that when coupled with a compatible, modified AI package, all the NPCs flee to the same place, causing a bottleneck in doorways. One example is that if a dragon attacks Riverwood, and you've loaded mods that add over 20 new NPCs to Riverwood, when they flee to the inn, you're not going to be able to move once you're inside the inn, until they decide to disperse....IF they decide to disperse.

As far as texture mods go, I don't see a huge problem there. SFO can be pretty taxing on FPS, but coupled with 2KHD it shouldn't be too bad.

You're probably going to experience some item bloat with that stack. The mods that add new weapons and armor to the loot tables are really neat individually, but when all combined thy can trivialize gameplay, even without smithing or enchants, and even on legendary difficulty. Meanwhile, if you're going to use Dynamic Things (and there's no reason not to, I think it's one of the neatest mods ever made for Skyrim), I'd advise to disable all the barrels, crates, etc. with new loot in them, or else you're going to end up with enough iron ingots and gems to powerlevel smithing to 100 by level 30...but if that's the way you like it, then knock yourself out.

As far as heavy scripting....well, again, individually I don't see anything that's massively script-heavy. But when they're all combined, I can't imagine you won't see some script lag. If you had any survival/immersion mods loaded along with these, then I could almost guarantee you'd have some heavy lag. But I guess the thing to keep in mind is that the most script-heavy software you'll be dealing with is the core game itself, and it's very possible for mods to tip it to the breaking point. I'd also be surprised if Footprints works consistently with that mod stack. It's a neat mod, and it's awesome, when it works. But it doesn't always work for everyone, or sometimes it will work for a while, and then stop.

There's really only one mod in your entire stack that I would advise to uninstall immediately. I'm loathe to mention it, because for some reason people like to defend it and point out that it has vastly improved and that it doesn't deserve its much-maligned reputation, and that's all well and good, but my issue isn't so much with the mod itself, but with the fact that if something goes wrong (and it will), then you're absolutely on your own in trying to fix it. If it's not clear by now, then feel free to PM me.

Now, I'm sure others will chime in and assure you that the entire stack is fine, and then go on to let you know all about how they load 600+ mods with an ENB and a dozen .ini file tweaks and play the game on a Toshiba laptop from 2006, and that I don't know what I'm talking about. That's fine. Just remember, those guys are UBER NERDS, and they know what they're doing (and they're not afraid to tell you so). My advice is based upon my own experience with these mods on my own hardware to my own tastes. YMMV.

P.S., if you're getting an infinite loading screen, try the mod Safety Load. Although a lot of people say that mod has been made obsolete by SKSE, even as late as a few days ago it continues to prove to be beneficial to people with infinite loading screens.

Okay, I'm not familiar enough with this particular forum to figure out right now how to quote parts of your message to reply to them, but let's see:

1. In terms of redundant AI, I think Immersive Citizens is the big one, and some of the behavior changes from Wet & Cold can be turned off to let Immersive Citizens handle it. Is that what you're suggesting? Do I even need "When Vampires Attack" or "Run For Your Lives" when using Immersive Citizens?

2. You raise a good point about doorway bottlenecking. I've removed Inconsequential NPCs. Are there others in my list that add a lot of NPCs?

3. I'll keep your setting suggestion for Dynamic Things in mind.

4. I've removed Footprints.

5. I'm guessing the mod to "uninstall immediately" is CWO. I'm somewhat aware of its maligned reputation, but I'd like to have a chance to try it for myself before judging it. I can certainly see the mod author's point about the default civil war fort battles being impossible to lose, at least.

6. I'm not sure how anyone can pull off 600+ mods when iirc the plugin limit is about 256 (00 through ff hexadecimal). I know there are some mods listed on the Nexus site that don't actually involve esm/esp files, but I find it hard to imagine using enough of those to get over 600. Also, I think some mods involve more than one plugin file. As far as players who game on a Toshiba laptop from 2006, my rig is considerably more powerful than that:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
RAM: 32 GB (4x8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 MHz
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1070
PSU: Seasonic M12II 850W
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Fans: 2x Fractal Design HF14-BK, 1x Fractal Design HF12-BK
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
ODD: Lite-On iHOS104-08 4X Blu-Ray Disc Reader
Wi-Fi: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I
Monitor: Dell P2416D on Fleximounts M01
Speakers: Logitech Z200
Keyboard: Logitech K120
Mouse: V7 Standard

7. Safety Load? Okay, I'll give it a try.

It's more of a possible conflict between Immersive Citizens and When Vampires Attack/Run For Your Lives. Unless I am completely mistaken, IC has the functionality of those two mods already built in, and if I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me.

Individually, none of those NPC mods add a massive amount of new NPCs in themselves, at least not in cities or villages. But they add up. Immersive Citizens does expand the places a lot of NPCs travel around towns, and with multiple NPC mods loaded, every now and again you'll get two NPCs trying to walk through each other, or perhaps through walls. I believe there is a failsafe in the engine that will eventually allow them to warp through obstacles but, again, not immersive. And the last time I checked (which has admittedly been a while, because my skin isn't thick enough to deal with IC's comments section), there aren't very many compatibility patches for IC....for whatever reasons.

There is a way to merge mods together, in a sense, in order to circumvent the 255 limit. Think of how WINZIP compresses files in order to take up less space...it's really nothing like that, but that's a serviceable way to explain it. It's nothing newbies or casuals want to approach, unless they're super serial about playing a heavily modded game. After 4 years of testing mods, I only load about 60 - 70 at any given time.

It's more of a possible conflict between Immersive Citizens and When Vampires Attack/Run For Your Lives. Unless I am completely mistaken, IC has the functionality of those two mods already built in, and if I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me.

Looking at the description, the behaviors for the relevant events are similar but I don't think they're identical. Also, it mentions that the AI priority for When Vampires Attack/Run For Your Lives is higher than for Immersive Citizens. The more advanced AI described for Immersive Citizens seems better to me than the basic behaviors in the other two, so I'll remove the more limited mods.

There is a way to merge mods together, in a sense, in order to circumvent the 255 limit. Think of how WINZIP compresses files in order to take up less space...it's really nothing like that, but that's a serviceable way to explain it. It's nothing newbies or casuals want to approach, unless they're super serial about playing a heavily modded game. After 4 years of testing mods, I only load about 60 - 70 at any given time.

Ah, I'd forgotten about merging mods. I guess I'm a bit crazy to try to use over 100 mods this time around :D , but 600 mods is downright masochistic.

Edit: I've gotten Skyrim to start a new game succesfully with 120/121 mods installed (147 plugins; Helgen Reborn says to wait until after I've exited the cave with either Hadvar or Ralof before activating it, and I think Safety Load has helped a lot). However, that was only as far as making sure it got past the loading screen and the Athletics mod dialog that pops up. I plan to start actually playing tomorrow or Saturday.

Oh, and thanks for your help.

Edit 2: here's an updated list of the mods I'm using, copied from NMM to get exact names, since there were some mods I found required by mods I wanted, and "optional" files I downloaded, etc. that pushed my mod count higher than the list in my initial post above would suggest:

A Clear World Map - With Clouds - A Clear World Map

A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - With Roads

Amazing Follower Tweaks - AmazingFollowerTweaks_1_66

ApachiiSkyHair - ApachiiSkyHairFemale_v_1_5

ApachiiSkyHair - ApachiiSkyHairMale_v_1_2

ApachiiSkyHair - ApachiiSkyHair_v_1_6_Full

ApachiiSkyHair on NPCs USLEEP and USKP Compatible - ApachiiSkyHair on NPCs v1.4 USLEEP Compatible

ApachiiSkyHair on NPCs USLEEP and USKP Compatible - Falskaar Add-On

Athletics Training - with MCM - Athletics_Training_1_41

Atlas Map Markers for Skyrim Blackreach Dawnguard and Dragonborn - Atlas Map Markers v1-7 Complete

Beautiful Whiterun - Beautiful Whiterun

Better Dialogue Controls - Better Dialogue Controls v1_2

Better MessageBox Controls - Better MessageBox Controls v1_2

Civil War Overhaul - Civil War Overhaul

Climates Of Tamriel-V

Cloaks of Skyrim - Cloaks of Skyrim 1-2

Clothing and Clutter Fixes - Clothing and Clutter Fixes

Colored Map Markers Updated

CombinePotionsAlchemy_Improved - CombinePotionsAlchemy_Improved-compatible version

Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade - Complete Crafting Overhaul

Consistent Older People - Consistent Older People 31 All NPCs USLEEP

Convenient Crossbows - ConvenientCrossbowsST1001

Crossbows Basic Collection - Crossbow Basic Collection 1_1_2 DE_LL

Dawnstar Fortified - Dawnstar Fortified Version 1.5

Dead Body Collision Fix - With Improved Fireball Spell

Death Alternative - Your Money or Your Life - Death Alternative - Your Money Or Your Life

Dragon Soul Relinquishment - Dragon Soul Relinquishment v1_2

Dual Sheath Redux

Dynamic Things - Woodpiles and Barrels and More Oh My - Dynamic Things

Enhanced Lights and FX

Extended Stormcloak Armor Variety - Extended Stormcloak Armor Variety v2_1

Extended UI - Extended UI

Falskaar - Climates of Tamriel patch - Falskaar - Climates of Tamriel patch

Falskaar - Falskaar V1_2_1final

Falskaar - TK Children patch - Falskaar_TK_Children_patch

Fast travel timescale fix - Fast travel fimescale fix

Follower Commentary Overhaul - FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul

Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS - FNIS Behavior V6_3

Fuz Ro D-oh - Silent Voice

Gildergreen Regrown - Gildergreen Regrown

Guard Dialogue Overhaul - Guard Dialogue Overhaul

Harvest Overhaul

Hearthfire multiple adoptions - Now with custom home support for kids and spouse - Hearthfire multiple Adoptions V2_0_15

Height Adjusted Races with True Giants - Height Adjusted Races

Helgen Reborn - Helgen Reborn V105_3

HiRes Legible Road Signs - Hires Road Signs Version 3

Hold Border Banners - Hold Border Banners

Immersive Patrols - DLC Aggressive IP 2.0.3

Immersive Player Dialogue - Immersive Player Dialogue Version 2

Immersive Speechcraft - Immersive Speechcraft

Imperial Legion Armor Variety - Legion Armor Variety Normal 1-2

Improved NPC Clothing - High Res - Improved NPC Clothing_1_8_1_MORE_DIRT

Improved Waterfall LOD - Improved Waterfall LOD HighRes

JaySuS Swords - JaySuS Swords V13C

Lakeview Manor Dock and Shack - Lakeview Dock WITH skill book

Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One - Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - MCM Special Edition

LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Weapons - All in One Installer

Learn Alchemy From Recipes

Less Intrusive HUD II - Less Intrusive Hud - Main files

Loot and Degradation - Loot and Degradation v1_31

Lore-Based Loading Screens - Lore-Based Loading Screens 1_1 Release

Main Font Replacement - Magic Cards Font

Map Overhaul - Map Overhaul

More Village Animals - More Village Animals

moreHUD - AHZmoreHUD_v2_1_3

Morthal Fortified - Morthal Fortified

NPCs Use Ammo - All Bows - NPCsUseAmmoAllBows

No NPC Greetings - No NPC Greetings

No Spinning Death Animation - No Spinning Death Animation v1_3 MERGED

No empty tag on empty containers - No Empty Tag on Empty Containers (doesn't work properly with Less Intrusive HUD II)

Point The Way - Point The Way

RaceMenu - RaceMenu v3-4-5

Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD - Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons v2 NON-GLOW Version

Real Names - Real Names

Realistic Water Two

Realistic Weapon Positions - Realistic Weapon Positions - NMM Installer fixed

RealisticRoomRental-Enhanced

Revamped Exterior Fog - Revamped Exterior Fog

Ruins Clutter Improved - Ruins_Clutter_Improved_v2-8

SLOP - SPERG Lockpicking Overhaul by ProtonZero - SLOP - SPERG Lockpicking Overhaul by ProtonZero

SPERG - Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay

Safety Load - SafetyLoad 1_2

ShowRaceMenu Precache Killer - ShowRaceMenu PreCacheKiller 1_3

Simply Knock - Simply Knock 1.0.8 Release

SkyFalls + SkyMills

SkyUI

Skyforge Plus - Skyforge Plus

Skyrim -Community- Uncapper - Skyrim -Community- Uncapper v1_15_2_0

Skyrim Better Roads

Skyrim Bigger Trees

Skyrim Flora Overhaul - Skyrim Flora Overhaul v2.5b

Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - COMPLETE FULL

Skyrim Immersive Creatures

TK Children - TK Children

The Skyrim Distance Overhaul Beta (S.D.O.)

Thieves Guild Requirements - Thieves Guild Requirements

Unique Dragon Priest Masks - HD textures - -Unique Dragon Priest Masks- Stand-Alone Edition v2_1 - Manual Install

Unique Uniques

Unofficial High Resolution Patch - Unofficial High Resolution Patch

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch - Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch

Waterbreathing Breathless Emerge - WBE_1_1

Wet and Cold

Wet and Cold - TK Children Compatibility Mesh - Wet and Cold - TK Children Compatibility Patch

XP32 Maximum Skeleton

XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended

Edit 3: When I let it get past the introductory titles, the camera went completely haywire, which I traced to the Immersive Armors mod, so I've removed that one as well as Immersive Weapons (since it would feel weird to use Immersive Weapons but not Immersive Armors).

Edited by mauvecloud

I had a similar experience with Immersive Armors paired with Alternate Start several months back. Something about Ulfric's outfit caused the havoc system to make the carriage go nuts in the vanilla start. At least that's my theory....I tried to troubleshoot it, until I received the crystal clear message that no one was interested in troubleshooting it, if you catch my drift.

If you're committed to rolling without CWO, be advised it's still in that list you pasted.

The only other thing I see is a lot of map mods. I don't have experience with some of them, so I can't speak for compatibility. The only one I use now is the one near the top that adds roads and has the option of removing the clouds from the map. All I can tell you is that historically, when I had loads of mods running, 60% of my crashes to desktop occurred when I clicked on the map. Even today, I tend to quicksave before opening the map, out of habit. It's also possible some of those map mods will override the clouds or weather from CoT.

Edited by phantompally76

I had a similar experience with Immersive Armors paired with Alternate Start several months back. Something about Ulfric's outfit caused the havoc system to make the carriage go nuts in the vanilla start. At least that's my theory....I tried to troubleshoot it, until I received the crystal clear message that no one was interested in troubleshooting it, if you catch my drift.

I saw a "forum" entry on the Immersive Armors page claiming that putting Immersive Weapons first in the load order prevented that from happening, but I saw it when Immersive Armors was the last active one in my load order, so unless LOOT had already updated to put Immersive Weapons first by default as suggested there, it wasn't even active and I was still getting that. I'm not so attached to the idea of extra armor and weapons that I'd insist on keeping those mods with an issue like that to deal with.

If you're committed to rolling without CWO, be advised it's still in that list you pasted.

Huh? What gave you the idea that I didn't want it? I just figured it was the mod you meant in your first reply when you were advising me of a mod to "uninstall immediately", but I want to try it anyway. If you meant a different one, please clarify.

The only other thing I see is a lot of map mods. I don't have experience with some of them, so I can't speak for compatibility. The only one I use now is the one near the top that adds roads and has the option of removing the clouds from the map. All I can tell you is that historically, when I had loads of mods running, 60% of my crashes to desktop occurred when I clicked on the map. Even today, I tend to quicksave before opening the map, out of habit. It's also possible some of those map mods will override the clouds or weather from CoT.

Yeah, the "Map Overhaul" mod says it includes "High Quality 3D Map" meshes and normals, so having those separately is probably redundant. The textures listed as optional files for "High Quality 3D Map" are probably pointless if I use a separate map mod. "A Quality World Map - With Roads", "A Clear World Map - With Clouds", and "Atlas Map Markers" are listed as "Mods You Need To Download" in the description for the "Map Overhaul" mod, so presumably they work well together (though the first linked one now includes a mention of the Solstheim map in the name; I had been under the impression it was a slightly different mod, but apparently I was wrong). Looking at the posts, apparently I'm supposed to install Map Overhaul last (not well explained in the description :sad: ). I don't remember whether I did, but I can try opening my map in game, and if I get a SkyUI error message, I'll try uninstalling it and reinstalling it to make sure its version of map.swf overwrites whatever other version is in there now.

Edit: the map.swf that SkyUI complains about comes from either Atlas Map Markers or Colored Map Markers, presumably because neither is sufficiently updated for the latest version of SkyUI. The map seems to work in spite of the error message, though. Also, looking at posts there, apparently it's possible to turn off the error message in SkyUI's MCM.

Edit 2: it seems you were right about my mod list being unstable - while delving into Bleak Falls Barrow, I got to the point where it would very often crash when I tried to loot a skeever I'd just killed, or when I tried to open the menu to save. Also, there were some textures that ended up mostly (or maybe completely) invisible: SPERG ethereal bolts, the paralysis at the bottom of the spiral staircase in Bleak Falls Barrow, and some of the spider webs. It's late Friday evening where I am, so I'll save figuring out which mods I'm willing to remove for tomorrow or later.

Edited by mauvecloud

I've trimmed my list down to 75 now:

A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - With Roads
ApachiiSkyHair - ApachiiSkyHairFemale_v_1_5
ApachiiSkyHair - ApachiiSkyHairMale_v_1_2
ApachiiSkyHair - ApachiiSkyHair_v_1_6_Full
ApachiiSkyHair on NPCs USLEEP and USKP Compatible - ApachiiSkyHair on NPCs v1.4 USLEEP Compatible
Athletics Training - with MCM - Athletics_Training_1_41
Beautiful Whiterun - Beautiful Whiterun
Better Dialogue Controls - Better Dialogue Controls v1_2
Better MessageBox Controls - Better MessageBox Controls v1_2
Civil War Overhaul - Civil War Overhaul
Clothing and Clutter Fixes - Clothing and Clutter Fixes
Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade - Complete Crafting Overhaul
Consistent Older People - Consistent Older People 31 All NPCs USLEEP
Crossbows Basic Collection - Crossbow Basic Collection 1_1_2 DE_LL
Dead Body Collision Fix - With Improved Fireball Spell
Death Alternative - Your Money or Your Life - Death Alternative - Your Money Or Your Life
Dragon Soul Relinquishment - Dragon Soul Relinquishment v1_2
Dynamic Things - Woodpiles and Barrels and More Oh My - Dynamic Things
Enhanced Lights and FX
Extended Stormcloak Armor Variety - Extended Stormcloak Armor Variety v2_1
Fast travel timescale fix - Fast travel fimescale fix
Fuz Ro D-oh - Silent Voice
Gildergreen Regrown - Gildergreen Regrown
Harvest Overhaul
Height Adjusted Races with True Giants - Height Adjusted Races
Helgen Reborn - Helgen Reborn V105_3
High Quality 3D Map - HQ3DMap - Meshes Hi-Res
High Quality 3D Map - HQ3DMap - Normals Original
Hold Border Banners - Hold Border Banners
Immersive Player Dialogue - Immersive Player Dialogue Version 2
Imperial Legion Armor Variety - Legion Armor Variety Normal 1-2
Improved NPC Clothing - High Res - Improved NPC Clothing_1_8_1_MORE_DIRT
Lakeview Manor Dock and Shack - Lakeview Dock WITH skill book
Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One - Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - MCM Special Edition
LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Weapons - All in One Installer
Less Intrusive HUD II - Less Intrusive Hud - Main files
Lore-Based Loading Screens - Lore-Based Loading Screens 1_1 Release
Main Font Replacement - Magic Cards Font
moreHUD - AHZmoreHUD_v2_1_3
No NPC Greetings - No NPC Greetings
No Spinning Death Animation - No Spinning Death Animation v1_3 MERGED
NPCs Use Ammo - All Bows - NPCsUseAmmoAllBows
RaceMenu - RaceMenu v3-4-5
Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD - Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons v2 NON-GLOW Version
Real Names - Real Names
Realistic Water Two
Revamped Exterior Fog - Revamped Exterior Fog
Ruins Clutter Improved - Ruins_Clutter_Improved_v2-8
SPERG - Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay
Safety Load - SafetyLoad 1_2
ShowRaceMenu Precache Killer - ShowRaceMenu PreCacheKiller 1_3
SkyFalls + SkyMills
Skyforge Plus - Skyforge Plus
Skyrim -Community- Uncapper - Skyrim -Community- Uncapper v1_15_2_0
Skyrim Better Roads
Skyrim Bigger Trees
Skyrim Flora Overhaul - Skyrim Flora Overhaul v2.5b
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - COMPLETE FULL
SkyUI
The Skyrim Distance Overhaul Beta (S.D.O.)
Thieves Guild Requirements - Thieves Guild Requirements
Unique Dragon Priest Masks - HD textures - -Unique Dragon Priest Masks- Stand-Alone Edition v2_1 - Manual Install
Unique Uniques
Unofficial High Resolution Patch - Unofficial High Resolution Patch
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch - Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch
Waterbreathing Breathless Emerge - WBE_1_1
Wet and Cold

Could you please estimate how stable you think this will be? I know this is still a bit higher than the 60-70 range you suggested, but I'm struggling to decide which other mods to remove to get down to that range.