FPS Drop After Updating Drivers

wishbone346

So I was getting an average of 50-55 fps while playing Fallout 4, but I just updated to 372.54 (NVIDIA) and I'm now getting an average of 40 fps in most areas and in the 30s in places like the Red Rocket Truck Stop. When creatures pop out of the ground like Mirelurks and Molerats it sometimes even drops to the low teens. I tried changing multiple settings on the game and nothing seems to work. With everything on Ultra I'm getting about the same performance as I do on low. My specs are as follows:

GPU: GeForce GTX 970

CPU: Intel® Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Memory: 8.00 GB RAM (7.95 GB usable)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

If I have that, then I revert back to the drivers I was using before. You shouldn't update your GPU drivers everytime there's an update because the latest ones aren't always the better ones, as you now noticed in person...

I am using Nvidia drivers v.3.32 I think it is on FO4 v. 1.6.9.

I also am getting fps drops after the last update.

The problem seems widespread. Even though I removed and cleaned all 1.7 files I could find, I must have missed some.

even after going through all the folders and files related to FO4

cleaned with fo4edit, etc I am still getting 35-45 fps

today I entered Pickman Gallery tunnel and it dropped to 1 fps.............

I still get random drops and now am getting ctd's that I never had before. I am thinking at this point there is a mod conflict somewhere. I am using 45 plugins which should not be a load for my system.

Like I said before, the more Bethesda "ironed out the wrinkles" to make the game adapt to whatever DLC they're preparing/have prepared, the more the game became unstable. Their DLC works perfect alright, but the main bulk of the game somehow can't follow any more.

First of the changes that made the game get all stuttery and introduced magnificent RAM-spikes was the switch to stream loading instead of direct rendering. It was supposed to make load times shorter -and I guess it did, but a 25 second gain from a three minute load isn't that much of a perceivable difference, now is it- but at the same time it makes V-RAM use go through the roof, especially in denser areas like Boston Common and The Fens.

The odd thing is that these RAM spikes also occur in the most illogical and random places and at whatever unprecise time. I mean, I can run around Abernathy's at 2.4GB on the GPU and 4GB on system RAM, but when I start plucking away at their taters all of a sudden, at stalk number two, I go up to 4.5GB on the card and 7GB of system RAM in an instant, with a slight stutter or two in the process. But when I move a step in whatever direction of your choice, it's back down to what it was before... aand to resurge at stalk number five, but when going back to stalk number two, the RAM use is again normal whereas I had this huge spike in that very same spot just seconds before...

Anyway, I'll leave the game at the version I'm at right now (which is v1.7.9) and most likely will get the Nuka Theme Park DLC and then adapt to whatever version of the game that one comes with. But I'll make sure to make a back-up of my FO4 data folder, just in case I run into trouble and/or the DLC isn't to my liking...

Edited by JimmyRJump

I have similar experiences. I am on 1.6.9. I have bought Nuka World so I may be forced to update. My average fps now is 35-40, before the 1.7. update and reset I was running 55-60 fps (capped at 62 fps by Nvidia Inspector)

I have similar experiences. I am on 1.6.9. I have bought Nuka World so I may be forced to update. My average fps now is 35-40, before the 1.7. update and reset I was running 55-60 fps (capped at 62 fps by Nvidia Inspector)

I don't know exactly what frame rate I run at the moment. I'm using MSI-AfterBurner to monitor temps, V-RAM & RAM use as well as setting a fan profile and keeping an eye on framerate, but AfterBurner hasn't gotten an update yet for the new AMD cards and most features aren't present with the use of my MSI RX470 GamingX 8GB GPU... (and yes, for those -besides my shrink- who are wondering about my faculties, I know this RX470 isn't exactly an update from the three generations/five year old R7970 Lightning, but it has better hard- and software support and -mainly- also has 5GB more V-RAM on it's back (which I direly needed for FO4) and probably only consumes half the power the 7970 did, so, hey...)