Join us on Discord

Dark0ne

If youre the type of gamer, like us, who likes to use text chat and voice comms to catch up with friends and play games with them, then youve probably heard of Discord by now.

Discord can probably be best described as TeamSpeak or Ventrilo 2.0. It looks pretty, it works brilliantly, its efficient and it successfully combines voice and text chat to make a service that is both better than the early voice comms software as well as better than text chat software like Skype. Think IRC meets Ventrilo and they make a 2016 love child, and you kind of get the idea.

You dont need to download any software, it will work through all modern browsers, though we would recommend downloading and installing the Discord software if you plan to stick around for a while. You also dont need to use a microphone to join in, and you can happily idle away across multiple different Discord servers reading and listening to what other people have to say. Or, you know, you could join in.

1-1471444272.gif

Were on a bit of a social push at the moment, aware that while weve got a large community here at the Nexus of some 11.5m users and counting, were not really as active within it as wed like. Similarly, its always good to explore new, different and exciting ways to not only interact with the community, but to help the community interact with each other on common ground.

To that end, weve set up a Nexus Mods Discord Server. The aim is to provide a new social place for members of the community to interact not only with us, but with each other. Weve set up links around the site to get the word out. The chat button on the top navigation now points to a page describing your options, including a description of our Discord server and a link to the old forum chatroom we use. Were also going to rotate a couple of banners and buttons around the site to get the word out.

There are multiple different rooms you can chat in, so if you want to get away from the hub-bub of the main general chat and talk to some people about Skyrim, Fallout or something else, then you can easily skip between the various rooms and channels available. If we need to make more, well make more. And if you leave a channel, you wont miss what other people are talking about there while youre gone as its all saved for you to view later, if you so wish.

Were going to start with a clean slate on this Discord server with very loose rules. We dont know how popular it will be, nor do we know how well have to manage things until issues crop up, so for now, its all just a social experiment. Well obviously make changes as, when or if theyre necessary. Ill be around on Discord most of the day and evening, as will our Community Manager SirSalami and our Content Director BlindJudge. My gaming habits mostly focus on 10v10 DotA 2 at the moment, but if youre in the EU and want to jump in a game with me in the evenings then youre more than welcome to come and grab me on Discord.

Further down the line, we plan to share a few details of games were currently playing that you can join us in, and Discord is certainly the best platform for jumping into games with us. Personally, while I like single-player games and modding them, I love multiplayer games, particularly PVP-based games. Ive no doubt that several of us will be hitting Battlefield 1 hard when it finally launches, and I fully intend to buy a server to play the game on with friends and the Nexus community (well share the details publically when the game launches).

So if youre interested in stabbing/clubbing/nuking/shooting/stunning me to death, or just talking to others in the community, then come join us on our Discord and make yourself known.

Edited by Pickysaurus
Updated discord invite link again. Was pointing to wrong server

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Discord is great and this is a very good initiative! however I have one complaint so far and that is tts. I live in GMT+1 timezone and I joined the chat last night. at 4:45 in the morning I woke up because users in the chat started playing around and amuse themselves with discord's built-in text-to-speach functions. I saw others were annoyed as well, for example DogtoothCG asked them to cut it out cause he was at work at the time. needless to say they continued playing around regardless.

of course I muted discord's tts since, and I can also shut it down when I go to sleep but if this annoying feature could be switched off for the whole channel that would be even better. :)

In response to post #41542120.

cdante wrote: Discord is great and this is a very good initiative! however I have one complaint so far and that is tts. I live in GMT+1 timezone and I joined the chat last night. at 4:45 in the morning I woke up because users in the chat started playing around and amuse themselves with discord's built-in text-to-speach functions. I saw others were annoyed as well, for example DogtoothCG asked them to cut it out cause he was at work at the time. needless to say they continued playing around regardless.
of course I muted discord's tts since, and I can also shut it down when I go to sleep but if this annoying feature could be switched off for the whole channel that would be even better. :)

I've turned off TTS on all the chat channels now :)

In response to post #41542120. #41542445 is also a reply to the same post.

cdante wrote: Discord is great and this is a very good initiative! however I have one complaint so far and that is tts. I live in GMT+1 timezone and I joined the chat last night. at 4:45 in the morning I woke up because users in the chat started playing around and amuse themselves with discord's built-in text-to-speach functions. I saw others were annoyed as well, for example DogtoothCG asked them to cut it out cause he was at work at the time. needless to say they continued playing around regardless.
Dark0ne wrote: I've turned off TTS on all the chat channels now :)

awesome, thank you Robin! :)

Forum chat button still goes directly to the old chat with no new options. I think the only way to get to the new one is from the mod sites.

Is there going to be a way to preview who's in chat so you can tell if your friends are online without having to go through the trouble of logging in and checking every room first?

Edited by Oubliette