Crashing after intro video

Kenbr10

I'm having an issue where New Vegas is crashing after the intro video or when attempting to load an existing save file. The game was running fine yesterday, with mods, but I figured I'd see if mods were causing an issue. I've uninstalled and removed all mods, and even uninstalled/deleted everything to do with Fallout NV and reinstalled it, but I'm having the same problem.

Initially it sounds like a "missing master" problem. See the wiki article "Missing Masters" for how to troubleshoot that.

However, now that you have re-installed everything, that is unlikely to still be the issue. If you have been using the game's built-in "auto save" feature, your problem is likely due to a corrupted save file. See if you can create a new character and load it without problems. If so, then see this entry in the "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting Guide".

If you can't get a vanilla game to load, make sure you rename the INI files in your "C:\Users\<YourAccountName>\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV" folder, and let the game rebuild them.

Since you are re-installing, save yourself some further grief and move the game out of the "C:\Program Files" folder tree. See the "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article in my signature.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

First of all, thanks for the advice on troubleshooting my issue. I tried all of that out and kept looking for other issues, and ended up stumbling upon the problem. I'd just updated my graphics driver (Nvidia version 372.54), and after rolling it back the game now loads with no issues.