Followers: They Don't Role Play Their Gear Specs

Adipose

A somewhat irritating game occurrence is the situation where followers don't stay

faithful to their written gear specs. Some do, but most don't.

Apparently there's some coding written into the game which causes them to switch to whatever item,

for whatever reason, that has a higher rating of some kind. I've never understood

it and it's often nonsense. Frex, I've given them a heavy armored fur hood to wear, and

then they switch to an unarmored fur hood that they've been given as part of loot

that I want them to haul around...even if they're specced for high heavy armor rating.

I assume that's all due to some kind of spec coding in a mod that causes the unarmored fur hood to

be more desirable...such as something in Frostfall, Wet and Cold, or what have you. I'm not a

modder so I don't really know. Anyway, it kinda messes with gameplay...at least if I'm seriously

roleplaying. The reality of course is that it makes no difference what kind of gear you give them.

You could have them running around in a blizzard stark naked and, as long as they're essential,

nothing will stop them. It's just the idea of the business that bothers me.

There are character mods that don't do that, remaining faithful to their written specs no matter

what you ask them to carry. Soooo, I know it can be done.

This may belong in Mod Talk, so if the posting is out of place...well, that's just the way it is.

Try installing a mod like Immersive Amazing Follower Tweaks, Ultimate Follower Overhaul (UFO is a little bit outdated) or Extensible Follower Framework (not sure how good EFF follower outfit management is) they allow you to set a specific Outfit on the followers.

• 2 weeks later...

Try installing a mod like Immersive Amazing Follower Tweaks, Ultimate Follower Overhaul (UFO is a little bit outdated) or Extensible Follower Framework (not sure how good EFF follower outfit management is) they allow you to set a specific Outfit on the followers.

At one time EFF was my go-to mod for handling followers. I'm having trouble with the latest version, so I'm using UFO which isn't as satisfactory but is relatively bug free.

EFF was VERY useful for handling follower outfits, etc., but now, not so much. It just be my own ineptitude.

I tried UFO but it was causing problems with some of my follower mods so i never got to play too much with it anyway a lot of people say that it is really good for now i am using Immersive amazing follower tweaks that seems to work pretty good i even used EFF for a long time but it didn't have the features i was used to when using the original amazing follower tweaks; i switched to the immersive one because is obviously more immersive and even more updated.

The actual item they choose is based on a combination of their skills and the item's armor rating and the item's gold value. So sometimes they make a choice that you wouldn't, but they're simply acting like real people by deciding to wear something they like. People don't always make the sensible choice, so I find their choices to be one of the things that makes them seem more alive.

Nah the Author just got it Wrong & doesn't know better.

Example Nord Archer will prefer Two Handed weapons if it above their Archery Skill Points

Example Custom Race Archer if done right is perfect since you control Race Stats & Actor Stats & also equip a Bow not a Sword or Dagger, when all three items are in their inventory.

Edited by PeterMartyr