I can not get Debug Console Enabler to work. please help!

Now I have tried to put different versions to Debug Console Enabler into the game, but without success. Either get an error when I start the game or so nothing happens when you click on ~ key.

can some help me. I'm not a super nerd with a computer, but I know little about it.

Yes I can help you. First of all, if you have a debug console mod installed, that does not work... Remove it. This will typically be located in the witcher 3 game folder/ bin/64... And is usually a console mod folder and a .dll file called dsound.dll

Anyway, there is no need to use a mod to enable the console. If you follow the instructions below, you should have no problem:

1. Go to MY DOCUMENTS and open the folder there named simply the witcher 3

2. Open the file name "user"

3. If you do not see this-----> [General] Then type it in yourself, making sure you type it in at the very top (the first line of the text file)

4. On the second line type-----> ConfigVersion=2

5. On the third line type-----> DBGConsoleOn=true

6. Now you need to save this text file in its current location, but name it something other than "user"

7. Delete the folder named "user" ( which is ok because it was saved under a different name.

8. Finally, whatever you named that file you saved, you need to change that name to------> user.settings

That is it. You should now be able to open the console with the tilde key. I had your same problem, and this worked perfectly for me on the witcher 3 v1.24

Since this was done outside the game folder itself... You do not have to risk a debug mod messing up your game.... Which some mods can do. To give you an idea of how much safer this way is... Consider this: you could have deleted that text file that you renamed and a new one would be made when you restarted the game.... With just the effect of having to re do your settings. In my opinion, this is a great alternative to using somebody's mod.

Edited by pincaviglia86

Great, I've been looking for this solution for a while - except it wont work for me. I was just wondering if your TW3 is a standalone or is it a Steam install? Are you on a PC or other? On my PC, Steam always installs inside the "Program Files (x86)" which causes DBG not to launch, so I moved The Witcher 3 Folder out to the C:/ (root) folder. The game plays fine from there with mods, however, still NO DBG and Steam updates still go into PF (x86). So, I tried your solution (EXACTLY) and still no console - I've even put the user.settings file in any and all folders within TW3, to no avail. It is currently in the top folder of the TW3, before the "Steam" folder. Any other suggestions will be most appreciated. :cool:

Yes I can help you. First of all, if you have a debug console mod installed, that does not work... Remove it. This will typically be located in the witcher 3 game folder/ bin/64... And is usually a console mod folder and a .dll file called dsound.dll

Anyway, there is no need to use a mod to enable the console. If you follow the instructions below, you should have no problem:

1. Go to MY DOCUMENTS and open the folder there named simply the witcher 3

2. Open the file name "user"

3. If you do not see this-----> [General] Then type it in yourself, making sure you type it in at the very top (the first line of the text file)

4. On the second line type-----> ConfigVersion=2

5. On the third line type-----> DBGConsoleOn=true

6. Now you need to save this text file in its current location, but name it something other than "user"

7. Delete the folder named "user" ( which is ok because it was saved under a different name.

8. Finally, whatever you named that file you saved, you need to change that name to------> user.settings

That is it. You should now be able to open the console with the tilde key. I had your same problem, and this worked perfectly for me on the witcher 3 v1.24

Since this was done outside the game folder itself... You do not have to risk a debug mod messing up your game.... Which some mods can do. To give you an idea of how much safer this way is... Consider this: you could have deleted that text file that you renamed and a new one would be made when you restarted the game.... With just the effect of having to re do your settings. In my opinion, this is a great alternative to using somebody's mod.

sorry you are having trouble. If you put these lines anywhere in the "ACTUAL WITCHER 3 GAME FOLDER"....it will not work. There is a folder in your "MY Documents" called "the Witcher 3", and all this folder contains is your save game information and your user settings for "YOUR GAME ONLY". This folder, even if erased, will re-write itself again right back in your "My Documents" folder. This folder only contains one folder, and three other files:

1.save games

2.input

3.user

4.user.settings.bak

File number 3 above, which is a simple text file, and is named simply "user".... is where the three lines go. They must be inserted at the top of this file in the order shown. I have found out that, you do not have save this folder called "user" to some other name. Just put the lines in there and save it like it is...with the name "user". Then go into the game, and hit the tilde key to open up the console. I am sorry if the mentioning in my post of "the witcher 3" got you confused. By using this folder in your documents called "the witcher 3"....you are not even touching your actual game folder, which is also called "The Witcher 3". I think this is where the confusion sets in. So, it doesn't matter where your actual game folder is installed...because this file is ALWAYS written to your documents, and has nothing to to with the actual game folder in general. It is simply a record of your save game info, and user settings. Therefore, it is 100% safer than messing with .dll files, putting stuffi n x86, x64, bin etc. Trust me on this one. I have used it on versions from 1.10 to 1.31 and always successfully. I am running the game of the year edition v.1.31 which just came out on august 30 and it is the gog version. However, steam or gog should make no difference, because the game itself re-writes this folder when you start a new game, or if you accidentally erase it. I hope this clears things up, and thanks for your reply, my friend.

P.S. please remove any of the lines from your actual game folder if they are still in there. These three lines are for that folder in your documents only, and like I said...this folder is a simple text file, written by the game itself, to store "YOUR" personal settings only...and therefore is 100% safe. one last thing....forget what i wrote in steps 6, 7, and 8 above. Just insert the three lines at the top of the "user" text file in your documents, and save as is. Then go into the game and the tilde key should bring up the console. Thanks again for your reply and I hope things work for you now.

Edited by pincaviglia86

Bless you, I had completed the instruction exactly, but during the reboot, the "new" user file did NOT get fully incorporated into the reconfigured file in the directory. After the restart, only:

[General]

ConfigVersion=2

.... were merged.

So, I entered the third line (DBG line) manually into the Steam update and ......

ALL IS WELL!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :dance:

I've used DBG and mods since TES III and for 20 years or more they have become a way of life for me. I'm a disabled 70yo and an avid RPGer since my sight and manual dexterity are degrading, however, it keeps me sharp and enjoying the great-grandkids ever so much. Thanks again, Rod (By the way, my avatar is ME in costume.)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now I have tried to put different versions to Debug Console Enabler into the game, but without success. Either get an error when I start the game or so nothing happens when you click on ~ key.
can some help me. I'm not a super nerd with a computer, but I know little about it.

Tilde key? what is the "tilde" key?

• 1 year later...