Editing nif Collision In Nifskope

Has anyone figured out how to edit or add custom collisions to nifs in nifskope?

When I make custom meshs I have to edit them into nifs with a similar shapes to get collisions to work. :wacko:

I know it seem silly but I don't have 3ds max and Blender seems to be no help.

I know it was possible in skyrim and if I can figure this out I will be adding so stuff for people to use in mods, but I am not having any luck.

I am self taught on everything I do, so this may be simple to do but I just cant seem to get it. :whistling:

So let see what we can do. :dance:

Just to clarify, you want to know how to make collision in nifskope WITHOUT borrowing the collision from an existing item?

Because I'm writing up a tutorial on how to do the latter, but haven't figured out the former, sorry :sad:

If you know how to add a collision shape to a nif in nifskope then you know what I and a lot of others need too know. :happy:

We can do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppTXCJ0SZ88

But if I make say..... an exact replica of the eiffel tower at 1 tenth scale. Having the collision shape of Blamco Brand Mac and Cheese is not going to work well. :tongue:

but if I can make a simple mesh and use that as a collision shape for my... exact replica of the eiffel tower at 1 tenth scale.. only thing I can think of at the moment..

Then I can start making things for people to put in their mods.

So if you know how to do this you will be like the inventor of the sandwich and change the world forever! :dance:

Ahh, I see what you mean! At this stage, I only know how to steal the collision off in-game items (so something vaguely eiffel tower-shaped of any size, I'd be able to shrink/grow to the correct size and use that) but not how to create a brand-new custom mesh for collision use.

HOWEVER! I did note this video linked in another person's query, and it looks to be doing just that-- the video looks thorough and makes sense, though I've not actually attempted to make a collision mesh using it's instructions just yet-- unfortunately, it does require the use of 3DS Max.

I know that the eiffel tower example was just a suggestion, but to continue the use of that particular example-- something I spend a lot of time doing whilst modding, is using the Archive Browser feature of Nifskope and looking at all the random bits and pieces in the vanilla Fallout - Meshes.ba2 file. When I spot something that's vaguely the correct shape for whatever I want to make, that will usually be the one whose collision I steal-- I'll start my custom mesh and add in the stolen collision at the end rather than build it into the collision I'm stealing, because I find it too messy.

Well, moriartykain, you've given me the motivation I need to get this tutorial started-- here I thought I'd be procrastinating it forever!

Ahh, I see what you mean! At this stage, I only know how to steal the collision off in-game items (so something vaguely eiffel tower-shaped of any size, I'd be able to shrink/grow to the correct size and use that) but not how to create a brand-new custom mesh for collision use.

HOWEVER! I did note this video linked in another person's query, and it looks to be doing just that-- the video looks thorough and makes sense, though I've not actually attempted to make a collision mesh using it's instructions just yet-- unfortunately, it does require the use of 3DS Max.

I know that the eiffel tower example was just a suggestion, but to continue the use of that particular example-- something I spend a lot of time doing whilst modding, is using the Archive Browser feature of Nifskope and looking at all the random bits and pieces in the vanilla Fallout - Meshes.ba2 file. When I spot something that's vaguely the correct shape for whatever I want to make, that will usually be the one whose collision I steal-- I'll start my custom mesh and add in the stolen collision at the end rather than build it into the collision I'm stealing, because I find it too messy.

Well, moriartykain, you've given me the motivation I need to get this tutorial started-- here I thought I'd be procrastinating it forever!

Its seems like you do exactly what I do. lol :D

But you said you change the size of the collision object, If you do it in nifskope I would like to know how.

As the Creation Kit needs a .esp to do that and i just dont like doing that. :wacko:

Here you go, includes collision export.

http://stuyk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6

Arrre, but what if you dont have 3ds max what then??

What this is all about is trying to make a new nif with new collisions without the use of 3ds!

If we can figure out how to do it in nifskope, then you would be able to use software like..... sketchup o_O to make new models. XD

I know how silly that sounds but I'm trying to make model modding easier for some people. :D

• 9 months later...

Sorry to necro this thread, but I'd also like to know if you meant you can steal and resize a collision mesh in Nifskope (or if you're referring to using Blender (tried that, failed miserably to do literally anything with it even with tutorials).

Stealing collision from another mesh using only Nifskope can't just be a matter of copypasta because that always fails for me, or I'm doing it wrong. And resizing seems to be either impossible or a reeeeally big secret.

Edit: Duh, brain no worky today. Actually watching the video helps.

Edited by Unedjis