Newest Version of "iprp_feats.2da"?

EphemeralBeing

I was working on patching Darkvision, and made a version of iprp_feats.2da for my Override folder. Problem is, I grabbed the one from the OC when I went to make changes. When I fired up MotB, I found out that there are supposed to be new, spirit-related bonus feats on the list. When the game went to call them, it fed me a bad string reference. Lucky for me I had been testing stuff out earlier, so I immediately knew what the problem was.

Good news is that the fix is simple. Get the latest, most comprehensive version of iprp_feats.2da, add my single line to the bottom of the table, and stick it in override. Oh, and if anyone was curious, this fix isn't causing any problems with... well, anything. I finished up the OC earlier, imported into MotB, and all is still well. I'm going to keep testing before I actually post it anywhere, but things are looking good.

Thing is, I'm not actually 100% sure which version of the file IS the newest. I didn't see a version in 2da_X2.zip, but it's entirely possible that there is a third (or even fourth) revision of the file that came with SoZ or MoW. Simple as it is, I'd rather not go through this process again, so could someone tell me if I've located the most recent version of this .2da file, or where the most recent one is?

Follow-up, how does the engine know to reference this version of iprp_feats.2da rather than the one in the OC 2da.zip? I doubt I actually need the information to solve my problem, but I'd still like to know.

I can't answer specifically, but the best reference source is the wiki page for the reserved 2DA ranges, which all builders should use as reference and update as needed. As far as I can tell, MotB is the last official version of that particular 2DA, but Kaedrin's pack is used by a significant portion of players, and it overrides around 400 2DA files, and many other file types. It probably wouldn't hurt to include Kaedrin's additions to your fix for maximum compatibility.

Alright, thanks! I hadn't seen that list before.

You seem like an especially clever fellow. What's the current "best practices" in regards to .2da compatibility? By which I mean, do I upload three different versions of my fix? Or do I just use the Kaedrin version, because it doesn't break anything? I've been holding off on doing any kind of release because I don't want to break people's games.

Hm. Okay, looking at this I've got another question. Obsidian blocked out rows through 800 for their patches. They stopped at 435, though, and development for this game is over. So, which of the following is what I'm SUPPOSED to do?

1. Use row 436, because it's the first unused line on the table

2. Use row 458, because it's what I did the first time I attempted to patch this, and all of my "fixed" item properties already reference it

3. Use row 1001, because it's the first unreserved row per the page you linked me and then update that list

4. Use row 12XX, because I can just reserve a massive block of feats and it's unlikely anyone has gone that far and then update that list

At the moment, I'm going to stick it on like 458 because it's less work for me. But as I'm still intending to at least give people access to the fix (and because this is really interesting to me), I'd like to know what you think I should do.

Edited by EphemeralBeing

I would check Kaedrin's 2DA, and make sure that it doesn't change any of the existing entries, and only adds new ones, using a tool like WinMerge to compare the two with highlighted differences. If it only adds new ones, then just add your fixes to Kaedrin's. If there are any differences, then upload one based on the last official release, and a second one labeled as Kaedrin's pack-compatible.

It's true that the unused lines reserved by Obsidian will most likely never be used, and are just wasted space, but space like that is negligible in one of these files. The best practice is to use an unreserved space and update the list with that range reserved. If you think you'll need a huge block, then go ahead and reserve it on the list instead of using the first available unreserved one, if the first block would be too small for you. You can always cut back your reserved range later if you find you don't need as much.