The Unassignable Settlers Bug

pra

How old is the save you are currently using that is bugged? In my larger settlements, it can take 5-10 minutes between assigning a peon and getting the assigned message, with the latest unofficial patch (but my computer is a bit older, so CPU horsepower has a bit to do with that). On my laptop, I have to keep my FO4 slim, so I only run a small handful of mods (scrap everything, place everywhere, masterplan/vanilla extensions, no settler/ai mods) and I've had that bug too, so I do not think it is DCMS.

and also keep in mind the papyrus-beast the runs amok in your game behind the scenes. Seems like sometimes that sumbitch just chews on the wrong thing and everything goes to hell

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there might be other issues that cause it, this is unfortunately a known bug of Don't Call Me Settler. In fact the mod author has hidden the mod while they work on it. So if you're using that mod and it is the cause, unfortunately there isn't any known way of fixing it other than starting a new game without that mod installed. :(

While there might be other issues that cause it, this is unfortunately a known bug of Don't Call Me Settler. In fact the mod author has hidden the mod while they work on it. So if you're using that mod and it is the cause, unfortunately there isn't any known way of fixing it other than starting a new game without that mod installed. :sad:

Known bug as in hearsay? Or known bug as in confirmed? I never had any of the described issues with the mod. But I ran into the exact same bug without it being installed just recently. Again, Robot workbench in place, two or three robots created and settlers losing all of their assignments without being able to reassign them.

Also what's the alarmism about starting a new game? Rerolling to a previous hard safe does the trick just fine.

While there might be other issues that cause it, this is unfortunately a known bug of Don't Call Me Settler. In fact the mod author has hidden the mod while they work on it. So if you're using that mod and it is the cause, unfortunately there isn't any known way of fixing it other than starting a new game without that mod installed. :sad:

Known bug as in hearsay? Or known bug as in confirmed? I never had any of the described issues with the mod. But I ran into the exact same bug without it being installed just recently. Again, Robot workbench in place, two or three robots created and settlers losing all of their assignments without being able to reassign them.

Also what's the alarmism about starting a new game? Rerolling to a previous hard safe does the trick just fine.

Known bug as in several people have explicitly stated they personally had the bug, they personally had to start a new game and they personally read the numerous reports on that mod's comments tab before it was taken down by the mod author. But hey, clearly even the mod author is wrong because NCRForever who has jack all to do with making the mod said so. :rolleyes:

I still say, it's probably on these people. Can't blame the author for taking it down after getting flak. But I do blame people not knowing the first things about modding and what could go possibly wrong if they don't do regular saves and simply load everything without employing the common sense to notice what could conflict with other mods. Or don't even bother to read the instructions. Which also is fairly common.

I had a lot of mods I couldn't get to work. What I did was notifying the authour of my experiences and chalking it up to my mistakes, since others had no problems with the same mods. That's what an adult should do. If a mod runs fine with other people's configuration it's probably on your configuration that it doesn't work out for you.

A mod that's been as heavily used and been around as long as DCMS probably has a mod author with a pretty thick skin who can easily tell the difference between the small number of users who have no idea what they're doing and can't get the mod to work because of that vs, oh yeah pretty much most of my users are having the same problems, this must actually be broken.

Edited cause I apparently can't grammar. :D

Edited by damanding

I haven't had any real problems with DCMS, at least none I could identify. I do have a problem at Bunker Hill where I have levelled most of it and rebuilt it with a level paved floor but when I built a new Bar for the Savoldis and a Surgery for the doctor they can't be assigned to them.

I also have a problem at Nuka World Red Rocket where when I built a guard tower I can assign a settler to it but they won't man it, simply stay guarding the spot where they were when I assigned them. This is only at the south end , not the north end.

Settler job assignments is one of the problems of DCMS, however I wouldn't be surprised if the Savoldis and the doctor at Bunker Hill can't be assigned like normal settlers in the vanilla game anyway, so that may not be related to DCMS. But I'm definitely guessing on this one, I've never used Bunker Hill as a normal settlement. I've never installed a beacon, called new settlers, and tried assigning the named NPCs there to jobs. I always just cleaned it up, added turrets for defense, made sure there were plenty of sheltered beds, and maybe decorated the shopping area.

As for Nuka World...it handles settlements a little different from vanilla settlements anyway which is assumed to be the likely reason DCMS started having issues in the first place. So no telling on that one. It could be mod related or vanilla.

Just one question, since you're fighting the corner of the bug people. Did you experience it yourself? Could you lay your finger on the issue as in running the mod it was a problem and not running it, things were fine and dandy? Did it ruin all your saves so that you had to start a new game?

I had the bug several times. And as I said just a few days ago, without DCMS and a clean install.