The Unassignable Settlers Bug

pra

While there might be other issues that cause it, this is unfortunately a known bug of Don't Call Me Settler.

Well, yes. I mean this. It's a known bug, as in hearsay. Blaming it on one mod and saying, yeah, there could be more, but, wink, wink, it has to be that.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there might be other issues that cause it, this is unfortunately a known bug of Don't Call Me Settler.

Well, yes. I mean this. It's a known bug, as in hearsay. Blaming it on one mod and saying, yeah, there could be more, but, wink, wink, it has to be that.

Definition hearsay according to google:

hear·say

ˈhirˌsā/
noun
  1. information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.

What has been substantiated as fact thus far (and therefore not rumor)

1. People who have personally experienced the bug told you about their experiences, you've chosen to conveniently forget such posts exist.

2. People who have read about the bug on that mod's comments section have told you about reading about the bug, you've conveniently chosen to forget such posts exist.

3. The mod author took the mod down. Granted the reason for doing so is up to speculation, but numerous people other than myself attributed that to fixing the bug and whether it's true or not, I am still in the majority opinion on it which apparently just chaps your hide. :D

It's been fun, but I'm no longer trapped at my work desk with nothing better to do than argue on the internet so have a good night!

• 3 months later...

Hello. I'm having this Unassignable/unresponsive settler problem. I'm not using DCMS. In fact the problem started before I had any mods installed at all, just the DLC. (I think I noticed after I got Bunker Hill, if that helps any.) Settlers won't move to new settlements or change/accept jobs. I used the Robot Workbench at Sanctuary to make two robots to facilitate growth of The Castle, for example. I can get them to travel with me but on telling either one to stay after parting or to make a supply line, they just head back to Sanctuary. I created on Mr. Handy at Castle to do some farming but all I've been able to get him to do is pick a planted carrot, he will not stay assigned to farming at all. I have had the same problem with Curie and farming: I thought it might have been a bad idea to assign her to farming, so I decided to make her unemployed by assigning her to a scavenging station and then scrapping it. She scavenged for about the amount of time it takes that animation to come up, and then goes back to farming.

Here is my mod load order, exported from NMM:

Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
Armorsmith Extended.esp=1
Armorsmith All DLCs Patch.esp=1
SurvivorsShelter.esp=1
IMG_Castle_Wall_Patches.esp=1
CheatTerminal.esp=1
Mercenary.esp=1 (The Mercenary Pack v0.9c)
Yes, I'm running Fallout 4 Script Extender, I've managed to remove the "Mod Flag" from my saves. :smile: Currently I'm trying to finish Old Guns but with only two settlers (Minutemen I think left over from taking the Castle) who won't take any assignments I can't progress with this at all.
EDIT: Some mods I have running that don't appear in my load order for some reason:
Achievements - Achievements v1-0-4
Full Dialog Interface
Also I've been using the wire glitch, clipping toggle console cheat as well as god mode pretty shamelessly, as well as changing my carryweight value, I'm a packrat... I don't know if any of these will have an impact on the problem or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add any information that seems pertinent.

Edited by kmcderm133

The only other possible cause I'm aware of is an early version of Sim Settlements had a similar bug but that's since been fixed. So check Kinggath's youtube videos on cleaning up the dead plot bug and upgrade if that's your source.

I do not have DCMS and I do not have SIM and I too have this issue. . o O ( sigh .... )

So I did, for testing purpose, try disabling various DLC's from Beth. It does, at least for me ... seems to be the Robot DLC - Automatron.

I can say this, because when I disable the DLC, as in - it was not in the initial load of the New Game, problem GONE and thus NO ISSUE. But when I turn it back on ... yup, problem is there. So as frustrating as this is, I have decided to " live with it " and ' cus out Beth every time ' and I dream of sending them a BIG BAD ROBOT to " teach them a lesson " ... :wink:

Yes my load order is correct and NO UOFO4P does not fix the problem.

.. Jj ...

I do not have DCMS and I do not have SIM and I too have this issue. . o O ( sigh .... )

So I did, for testing purpose, try disabling various DLC's from Beth. It does, at least for me ... seems to be the Robot DLC - Automatron.

I can say this, because when I disable the DLC, as in - it was not in the initial load of the New Game, problem GONE and thus NO ISSUE. But when I turn it back on ... yup, problem is there. So as frustrating as this is, I have decided to " live with it " and ' cus out Beth every time ' and I dream of sending them a BIG BAD ROBOT to " teach them a lesson " ... :wink:

.. Jj

Did you start a new save, or is your "bugged" save fixed? I started a new character a while ago to see if the settler problem is repeatable but so far I haven't had any problems. I don't have nearly as many settlements yet, so I'm holding my breath. I just tried disabling "DLCRobot.esm" in NMM and running my problem character and the problem still seems to be there. Disabling all the DLC has the same result. I think I'll back up my save and try the "dead plot bug" fix next, even though I don't have that mod installed.

I don't know if this will be of any help to anyone or not, but it's probably worth looking at all the same:

This video shows some console commands that can be used to fix Smiling Larry, and presumably other NPC's as well. I don't know what patch version of Fo4 this is used on, but it's interesting where this problem is concerned. It didn't work for me, but I can't remember if I met Smiling Larry or not. If I did I certainly didn't send him to a settlement. I'll check the wiki and see where he can be found. Maybe I can recruit him and see if there's any problems or not. The console commands suggested in the video didn't work for me with my current settlers/robots.

Edited by kmcderm133

.. Jj

Did you start a new save, or is your "bugged" save fixed? I started a new character a while ago to see if the settler problem is repeatable but so far I haven't had any problems. I don't have nearly as many settlements yet, so I'm holding my breath. I just tried disabling "DLCRobot.esm" in NMM and running my problem character and the problem still seems to be there. Disabling all the DLC has the same result. I think I'll back up my save and try the "dead plot bug" fix next, even though I don't have that mod installed.

One of the things I started to notice is - there is a SERIOUS and I do mean SERIOUS DELAY when I assign a job. Like .... I come back the ' next FO day ' and will get a prompt, " this task has been assigned " and sure enough .. the person I gave it to is there ... I have NO IDEA WHY?

I have the problem where I can't assign settlers, but I also have a problem where settlers that I previously assigned to stores, either don't want to trade or have no caps. With a couple of borked quests as well, I think that I'm going to swap to playing Andromeda and restart FO4 sometime in the future.