The Unassignable Settlers Bug

pra

Right. So the active scripts are:

Workshopscript

Workshopnpcscript - These cannot be the culprits, because after every workshop-related script, there's a utility.Wait-script, an none of them are being terminated.

Then there's:

SettlerRenameSecretaryScript

SettlerRenameAssignUniqueScript

Every single SettlerRenameSecretary-script runs, except for a couple that are being terminated. it reads:

" There are 1527 threads attached to this this script instance.

There are zero stackframes with member data referring to this script instance.

There is one instances with member data referring to this script instance.

There are zero references with member data referring to this script instance.

There are zero arrays with member data referring to this script instance.

There are zero structs with member data referring to this script instance. "

It's the same with the SettlerRenameAssignUnique-Script, it reads:

" There are 1170 threads attached to this this script instance.

There are zero stackframes with member data referring to this script instance.

There is one instances with member data referring to this script instance.

There are zero references with member data referring to this script instance.

There are zero arrays with member data referring to this script instance.

There are zero structs with member data referring to this script instance."

Now that we've established that the culprit was indeed DCMS - do I somehow close all 3000 running instances, or is there a smarter work around?

Edit: There is a total of 3970~ active scripts.

/Senise

Edited by Senise

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

The save is corrupt, and I can't fix it.

Firstly, I got rid of DCMS and the suspected Settlemods that I also thought was what triggered my issues. This didnt solve my initial problem.

Then I tried the Falrim-program, and terminated all 3900-something active scripts, but that didnt solve anything, instead I now also had CTD on fast travel and exiting / entering interior cells.

Then I thought I might as well do a clean install of the entire game and my mods. So after a few hours of uninstalling, downloading and manually removing every.single.trace of fallout except for the saves and reinstalling the mods as well whilst sorting the loadorder in which they were put previously (using LOOT), the original issue of not being able to command or recruit settlers still persisted, alongside the CTD.

DCMS is apparently embedded hard in the save-games. And since i deleted it completely and the mod-author has removed it from the Nexus I now have a playthrough of 8 days that crashes because it apparently is dependent on a faulty mod :facepalm:

What annoys me the most about this tiny (yet massive) f*#@-up, is that it didnt happen earlier, and that I only have myself to blame for screwing around with new mods on a perfect 160+ mods playthrough.

Still, I thank you for all the help Pra - appreciate it! :turned:

/Senise

I have 255 mods + all DLC. I never installed DCMS (Don't call me settler - not once, never) and I get the settler-lazy-and-won't-work-or-move bug.

I do have a fix.

Get the mortal settler mod.

Spawn a huge monster or bunch of them. Or just use the disable on everyone or kill. But funner to spawn critters.

Wipe out settlers.

Send other settlers who will work to the bugged settlement.

Then they will work.

I had this happen at sanctuary and 30 setters wouldn't work until half were killed, and then like a charm they started working after the battle.

I had this happen at sanctuary and 30 setters wouldn't work until half were killed, and then like a charm they started working after the battle.

So it seems that everything above 30 settlers causes the problem. My purely anecdotal evidence confirms that. The game obviously has a tendency to bug out if the magic 30 are hit.

So it seems that everything above 30 settlers causes the problem. My purely anecdotal evidence confirms that. The game obviously has a tendency to bug out if the magic 30 are hit.

I've had settlements with over a hundred settlers and they all did a job. Settlers usually stop working when your settlement has reached a certain surplus in food and water. Don't know what the exact percentage is nor how the calculations work, but once you've reached a certain amount of water and food, there's no way to keep settlers at work or assign new settlers.

I know that at release the game had a bug that didn't affect everyone, but the bug caused some settlements to have settlers that didn't budge when assigned to whatever.

Also keep in mind that settlements tend to get synth settlers that in reality are spies for the Institute. These settlers have the inclination to agree with an assigned job, to then wander off and totally ignore their task.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this thread isnt dead. I still have this problem in my game. I have never had DCMS, nor any other mod mentioned as a possible cause. I dont get ANY new settlers, and when i try to assign them, same as the OP, they walk over to it but are never assigned. People keep writing it off, but i think Automatron might have something to do with it. I dont recall when this started unfortunately, but I do know that it was around the time I placed my first Robot Workbench. Any have ANY ideas on how to fix, or more importantly, how to avoid this problem?

I hope this thread isnt dead. I still have this problem in my game. I have never had DCMS, nor any other mod mentioned as a possible cause. I dont get ANY new settlers, and when i try to assign them, same as the OP, they walk over to it but are never assigned. People keep writing it off, but i think Automatron might have something to do with it. I dont recall when this started unfortunately, but I do know that it was around the time I placed my first Robot Workbench. Any have ANY ideas on how to fix, or more importantly, how to avoid this problem?

I don't dissmiss the problem. All I'm saying is that the problem more than presumably comes from a clash between mods. If in your game things start going pear-shaped after you got your first robot workbench, then this is not Automatron's fault but a mod you have that doesn't work well with the DLC.

To avoid the problem is easy: check if the problem persists in a vanilla game (starting from a fresh install or at least a clean save). Then, when there's no problems in vanilla, start adding a few mods at a time and check again until you encounter a problem...

Uninstall the mod that causes the problem and voilà, done.

I have the same issues. All new settlers are deadbeats. I tried the console but all variables are True. However all settlers can be assigned to Sim settlements items (houses, businesses, military etc) with no delay. I can't assign to vanilla resources or supply lines. I tried spawning new settler via console and that had the same issue.