E-Cigarette and Vaping, For and Against

Dazaster

My mother and father were both quite heavy smokers in the early 1980s. I remember them telling me (much later) that they enjoyed smoking and had no desire to quit. Then they became born-again christians (both experienced Glossolalia) and stopped smoking from that moment on. They actually both tried to continue smoking but found they couldn't stand the taste - something they each experienced independently.

I've spoken to a few other christians who've had a similar experience. Perhaps it's why Jordan Peterson said that one can't quit smoking without undergoing a religious experience (which is obviously total BS).

I'm not encouraging anyone to become a christian in order to stop smoking (the whole no sex before marriage thing is a poor trade-off IMHO, plus the whole thing's just make-believe for the gullible), just thought I'd share an interesting story.

Of course it's not outside the realm of possibility that the reason they quit was something else entirely and they rationalised it as a benefit of their conversion.

EDIT: Interestingly, they also mentioned that they both didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms from giving up cold turkey, unlike on the other occasions when they had attempted to kick the habit.

Think I will just continue smoking, and let it kill me slowly. Not like the last 5 years or so of my life are going to be much fun anyway...... :D

I admire your optimism..... :smile:

Edited by gnarly1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the American Surgeon General published the famous (or infamous) report in 1964, the effect of smoking and nicotine have been well know.

Ignore all the ameliorating rhetoric and feel good half truths. Consider this single point. Vaping is just another, prettier delivery system for nicotine; a system whose sole purpose is to keep people addicted to a product which is known to be fatal.

But Salty you are ignoring what is truly at the bottom of this ... filthy rich guys are getting filthier rich from it, so it must be OK!!

And the more money those guys earn with the complicity of the state the more the government receives electoral financing and commission/bribes.

Since the parties that win the elections are always the most financed ones those who finance the elections choose the executive power the same way than the executives of a marxist-leninist party.

Like in the marxist-leninist countries those who control the economy control the political power as well while democracy is based on the separation of the powers.

But I write all of it for the anecdote of course.^^

Edited by Oblivionaddicted

I watched my Dad die from COPD, brought on by all of his years of smoking.

Towards the end, because of his low Oxygen level in his blood, it causes damage to the organs, especially the brain, and he started thinking it was the 1970s, and he was hallucinating, seeing some pretty weird stuff, from a tiny woman coming out from under his hospital bed and walking up the wall, to a parade of insects.
The last time he spoke to me was when they were getting him ready to send him to Hospice, and he whispered the phone number from his Parents house back in the 1940s, as if it was urgent I call it.

I'm hoping I managed to quit in time and avoid any risk of COPD

• 5 months later...

I'm not a fan of smoking, it has too many negative consequences. I experienced it until I quit this terrible habit and started vaping. This method of quitting cigarettes isn't suitable for everyone. For example, my friend also wanted to switch to vaping, and after a month, he went back to cigarettes. He said he missed the heaviness of the smoke and the burning in the vaping. But it worked for me: I was bribed that I could vape in the room, and there was no nasty smell. And also that there is no foul taste in my mouth afterward, and there is such a variety of flavors e liquids https://www.thevapecig.co.uk/e-liquid/flavours/mint-e-liquids.html. Compared to cigarettes, the vape didn't give me cough or a lot of shortness of breath.

Edited by takahit

I'm not a fan of smoking, it has too many negative consequences. I experienced it until I quit this terrible habit and started vaping.

The jury is still out on whether vaping is any healthier. Somehow, I don't see inhaling vaporized vegetable oil as a 'good thing'...... Along with all the other chems they include.

• 1 month later...

In my area, you can buy a cigarette rolling machine for $40. Box of 200 filtered tubes is about $2. Bag of tobacco big enough to roll 2 cartons of smokes is about $13. So, it's about $18 after taxes for enough tobacco and tubes to roll 2 whole cartons of cigarettes. This is cheaper than vaping. The additional taxes on a pack of cigarettes doesn't apply to a bag of tobacco. Once the average price of a pack of cigarettes hit $5+ per pack, I stopped buying packs, and started rolling my own cigarettes. There's some higher tech rolling machines you can buy, and even factoring in the price on one of those, it'll pay for itself in very short order, considering the price difference. So, any smokers out there who're tired of getting taken to the cleaners on a pack of cigarettes and is paying upwards of $10 a pack, you might want to look into rolling them, unless you just happen to have soo much disposable income that it's no consequence to you to spend $100/week on smokes. 2 cartons lasts me almost a whole month, so my smoking habit costs me about $25 or $30 a month when I roll my own. I'm basically smoking for 1997 prices.

Whether vaping is safer or not, I really don't know, but there's been some cases where idiot teenagers will get these vape devices and get with their buddies and see who can take the biggest vape hit, and end up giving themselves popcorn lung. But what I do know is, when I tried it, I ended up developing a chronic cough, and also I went through a bout with an upper respiratory infection that my doctor told me was probably connected to the vaping. When I quit vaping and started smoking again, it went away? Why would my lungs start feeling better after I started smoking again vs vaping? That makes no sense, if vaping is better for you. So, call me a skeptic on vaping for sure.

Also, the advantages for vaping vs smoking, like having access to more places where it's permissible is pretty much moot now. Anywhere that bans smoking around here applies it to vaping as well, so vapers have been chased out of the public square just like smokers have. I typically ignore no smoking signs posted, if it's outside I pay them no heed, but indoors is different.

Edited by Beriallord

In my area, you can buy a cigarette rolling machine for $40. Box of 200 filtered tubes is about $2. Bag of tobacco big enough to roll 2 cartons of smokes is about $13. So, it's about $18 after taxes for enough tobacco and tubes to roll 2 whole cartons of cigarettes. This is cheaper than vaping. The additional taxes on a pack of cigarettes doesn't apply to a bag of tobacco. Once the average price of a pack of cigarettes hit $5+ per pack, I stopped buying packs, and started rolling my own cigarettes. There's some higher tech rolling machines you can buy, and even factoring in the price on one of those, it'll pay for itself in very short order, considering the price difference. So, any smokers out there who're tired of getting taken to the cleaners on a pack of cigarettes and is paying upwards of $10 a pack, you might want to look into rolling them, unless you just happen to have soo much disposable income that it's no consequence to you to spend $100/week on smokes. 2 cartons lasts me almost a whole month, so my smoking habit costs me about $25 or $30 a month when I roll my own. I'm basically smoking for 1997 prices.

Whether vaping is safer or not, I really don't know, but there's been some cases where idiot teenagers will get these vape devices and get with their buddies and see who can take the biggest vape hit, and end up giving themselves popcorn lung. But what I do know is, when I tried it, I ended up developing a chronic cough, and also I went through a bout with an upper respiratory infection that my doctor told me was probably connected to the vaping. When I quit vaping and started smoking again, it went away? Why would my lungs start feeling better after I started smoking again vs vaping? That makes no sense, if vaping is better for you. So, call me a skeptic on vaping for sure.

Also, the advantages for vaping vs smoking, like having access to more places where it's permissible is pretty much moot now. Anywhere that bans smoking around here applies it to vaping as well, so vapers have been chased out of the public square just like smokers have. I typically ignore no smoking signs posted, if it's outside I pay them no heed, but indoors is different.

Yep. I spent 6 bucks on my rolling machine, a box of 200 tubes is around 2.25, a a 6 oz bag of tobacco is just under 9 bucks. I get a pit more than 200 cigarettes out of a 6 oz bag. I spend less than 30 bucks a month on smokes. (only need to buy the rolling machine once. :) ) That is a LOT cheaper and easier than vaping, does not include a number of interesting chemicals found in commercial brand cigarettes, or vape products......

I go outside to smoke, as my wife has breathing issues in any event.... so, I smoke maybe 3/4 of a pack a day.... Some days more, some days less. When it is stupid cold outside.... (which happens all to often here...) a smoke a LOT less. :D

I also ignore the no smoking signs outside. It seems beyond idiotic to me that they are concerned about your respiratory health in a friggin' PARKING GARAGE....... I mean, seriously, what I inhale from my cigarette ain't nothing compared to what I am breathing in when that diesel truck goes past......

The "No Smoking" signs in the parking garage are a requirement of Insurance companies who are concerned that some idiot with a cigarette will ignite the fumes from an uncapped gas tank. Kinda like what happened in Missouri.

The insurance company sued the smoker (who was violating the law by smoking in a no smoking area) to recover the several millions they had to pay, and won. Now the smoker pays the state a set amount each month, and they forward the payment to the Insurance company. If the smoker misses a payment, the state steps in and seizes all the smokers assets, and garners his wages, because he still has to pay.

So you go suck that butt in the parking garage. Maybe we'll get lucky.

The "No Smoking" signs in the parking garage are a requirement of Insurance companies who are concerned that some idiot with a cigarette will ignite the fumes from an uncapped gas tank. Kinda like what happened in Missouri.

The insurance company sued the smoker (who was violating the law by smoking in a no smoking area) to recover the several millions they had to pay, and won. Now the smoker pays the state a set amount each month, and they forward the payment to the Insurance company. If the smoker misses a payment, the state steps in and seizes all the smokers assets, and garners his wages, because he still has to pay.

A car backfiring is about as likely to ignite gas fumes from an open gas tank. Will the insurance company then sue the driver (owner??) for not maintaining his vehicle properly? (wouldn't surprise me.... this IS america after all, where we sue each other for the stupidest of reasons....) Was any action taken against the person that was allowing gasoline fumes into the atmosphere? Or did he get a pass on leaving off a federally mandated piece of equipment from his car?

That aside, my nose still works, and I understand the volatility of various fuels., so I don't really see that as much of a threat. However, you wishing me dead? That, I DO find a bit disturbing. Is your skin that thin, that you wish death on those that don't agree with you?? Wow. And you thought I was a bad person.......

Also, I am not finding ANYTHING about your claimed event....... Got a link?

Edited by HeyYou

A car backfiring is about as likely to ignite gas fumes from an open gas tank. Will the insurance company then sue the driver (owner??) for not maintaining his vehicle properly? (wouldn't surprise me.... this IS america after all, where we sue each other for the stupidest of reasons....) Was any action taken against the person that was allowing gasoline fumes into the atmosphere? Or did he get a pass on leaving off a federally mandated piece of equipment from his car?

That aside, my nose still works, and I understand the volatility of various fuels., so I don't really see that as much of a threat. However, you wishing me dead? That, I DO find a bit disturbing. Is your skin that thin, that you wish death on those that don't agree with you?? Wow. And you thought I was a bad person.......

Also, I am not finding ANYTHING about your claimed event....... Got a link?

Your interpretation of my comment is totally your own. But then, that is your stock in trade. Making assumptions and then claiming them as truth. You can't help yourself, can you? Do you lie awake nights thinking of new and ever more imaginative ways to prevaricate?