Skyrim freeze when opening the world map

haljordan

So I have been playing Skyrim for about 60 hours without a single crash/glitch or whatsoever, when suddenly at one point a graphical glitch occurred (black screen with white horizontal stripes) and my computer froze up. After I forcible shut down my PC I started Skyrim again and everything worked without problems until I tried to open the world map.

If i try opening it the game usually freezes up with me seeing the map but no symbols on it (looks kinda shadowy, sound is still working for a few seconds).

If I then press ctrl+alt+del in 70% of the cases I manage to open the task manager and kill TESV.exe before it locks up my computer. If that's the case I get a message from my graphics driver that it stopped working and has recovered.

If I am not able to open the task manager the sound usually gets stuck and my PC freezes up completely.

In some of my tries (maybe 1 out of 10 or 20) I got the afore mentioned glitch with the blackscreen and the stripes or just a blackscreen and one time I got a weird looking checkered screen (so just graphical screwups). If those happen the only thing I can do is forcible shutdown my computer and that's it. But as mentioned before this rarely happens.

This really only happens if I try to open the world map. Every other menu and everything else (running around zoning fighting everything works). The funniest part is if I go into a cave or something like that and I press 'M' to open the map it works without any problem but if I press 'L' to switch to the world map the before mentioned things happen. So it definitely is only the world map.

I tried reinstalling both the game and graphics device driver without any success. I also deleted all the .ini files, save games and so on to make it a "clean uninstall" as well as the registry fix. Additionally I tried downloading some map mods (like the full 3D map) without any change either.

My GFX card is Radeon HD 5970. I already tried every possible setting in the game option as well as in the CCC and even disabling Crossfire without any success. Nothing seems to make sense seeing as it was running before for days without any hiccups whatsoever and suddenly it crashed and now I have a persisting unfixable problem with exactly one aspect of the game...

Edited by haljordan

• 2 weeks later...

exact same problem here. i ve tried everything i can think of, every patch/fix/settimg/removed clouds from map and so on, but still freezes randomly when i open the world map. (even tried the 3d map mod and although i didnt notice any freezings it ruins the map and makes the game unplayable for me) .

my card is ati radeon 6970, cpu i5 750 2.66 gh 4gb ram

edit: that keeps happening since i started playing the game (i have almost been playing for 50 hours atm) , its the only problem i ve encountered so far and i can'T open the task manager i always have to reset the pc when that happens..

Edited by alicorn

I have this issue. I have a Diamond Radeon HD 5970, and while the game otherwise runs flawlessly on my current drivers (11.12 Dec 3 Beta drivers, anything before this had lighting issues) the world map crashes my display driver. It's exactly as haljordan describes, except for me I'm able to recover from the crash.

A note is that this crash does not happen on my single HD 4850, but it does happen on HD 5970, which is a dual GPU, whether or not Crossfire is enabled (RadeonPro) and I cannot find an application profile that works with Skyrim's world map.

Also, this issue has been present in every single driver release since 11.11, 11.11a, 11.11b, 11.11c, and my current drivers.

Aside: Haha, first post after 4 years of lurking!

Edited by Zeta Zeta

This is going to sound weird but it worked for a couple of people - go to your skyrim.ini and try this to disable blood spatter -

[screenSplatter]

bBloodSplatterEnabled=0

Have no idea why it worked for them but it can't hurt to try I guess.

This is going to sound weird but it worked for a couple of people - go to your skyrim.ini and try this to disable blood spatter -

[screenSplatter]

bBloodSplatterEnabled=0

Have no idea why it worked for them but it can't hurt to try I guess.

Ahahaha, well, my display driver doesn't crash anymore. Skyrim does.

EDIT: Which I find fascinating. It actually makes me feel like the problem is somehow related.

EDIT2: Problem present on 11.12 final drivers.

Edited by Zeta Zeta

This problem seems to just happened to me, after I finished the last quest of the Darkbrotherhood(You know "Emperor = dead" I said to much, hehe), I open the world map, I get black screen, I hear music in the back, but no map. Then I tried the line:

bBloodSplatterEnabled=0

I was able to go into the map, but crash after it opens. Does anyone know how to fix this yet?

I don't want to restart another character knowing this could happen again, when I reach this point again.

Edited by Dizzyjay

Last night I removed the

bBloodSplatterEnabled=0

option, and tried a bunch of things, but to my dismay it still crashed.

This morning I decided "ah screw it" and played for an hour without going into my map or any menus. Then I accidentally hit the map key. And it worked.

I don't know if Steam pushed an update since 10:00 pm EST last night or what, or if waiting a few hours did something, but no matter which old save I use, or old places I tested I go, on a fresh load or fresh game boot or what, the game works perfectly now.

Go figure. Problem solved for me, though I wish I knew what happened.

I just removed the bBloodSplatterEnabled=0 and it now works fine. I can open map and stuff back to normal again. I really dont know what happened. All the sudden it works again.http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/confused.gif

Found this gem. It worked for me. After opening the world map, my monitors failed to receive signal. Searched 2 weeks for a solution and this finally worked.

What I did was, first I set compatibility for windows 7. Some post report that skyrim by default uses compatibility for vista. Not sure if it's true, but like I said, It worked for me.

Secondly, I downloaded a .DLL file from here ---> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICEDIU66 Unzipped the file and dropped it in my skyrim directory. Now all I get is the random texture glitch and the random CTD. BUT my monitors are no longer shutting off.

FYI, To those who are getting Grey Screens of Death....Or Random colors/stripes....via the 5000 ATI HD series cards, this is a common issue with the cards. I had a 5870 that ran great until I added another monitor. I RMA'ed once and the issues still reoccurred. It has something to do with the memory clock. Unfortunately games and multiple monitors make the card go all whackadoo, and games take a crap in when overdrive is enabled via ATI's CCC. So under clocking the memory via CCC to compensate for the GSOD is a nogo. I heard of a firmware update to underclock the cards have worked but by that time I had already bought a 6950 which works wonders.

Hope this helps.