MO and the original data folders

freddagg

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.

I have done a lot of reading and understand how MO works but not finding the specific answer I want. I would have thought that if I put files into the Steam....Data/ <folders> as created by the original install, such files would take priority over any that may also exist in Mod Organiser.

Is this correct? Is this always the case? Do I also need to remove any reference to these same files or textures from Mod Organisers file system or do I need to create another mod last in the mod order to ensure the meshes and textures I particularly want are used?

Any clarification on this subject would be appreciated.

Since the point of MO is to not be adding files to the actual game folder, I don't have a definite answer. However, to find out the answer you can perform a simple test.

Take any one mod, install it via MO. Then manually install it to the game's data folder. Back in MO (make sure you refresh the data or close and reopen MO) on the right pane switch it to Data. Navigate that list to the files from the test mod, if it has the mod's MO folder name listed then MO is taking priority over the data folder. If it has 'data' listed, then the files in the game's data folder are taking priority.

And if you do wish to not put anything into the game's data folder, then yes, you can create a new mod with the meshes and textures that you are certain that you want to be used.

EDIT: Added a bit of clarification

EDIT #2: Corrected a typo

Edited by IsharaMeradin

Thanks everyone, I will do some trials.

Why would anyone want to use the data folder? Nifscope wants to use it for one thing so do my 3d cad programs. I want some things to be fixed in place "unable" to be changed. I will work on these ideas.

Thanks IsharaMeradin,

Yes it can get meshes from inside MO's structure but textures will not show in NifScope because the BSlightingShaderProperty in the nif file is not looking for textures inside MO's data structure, it is looking at the original game path.

I could duplicate the game path elswhere and unpack the BSA textures into that and set it as an alternative directory in NifScope. Haven't tried that yet - might work.

To Download mods From Steam with MO, First make sure your Overwrite Folder is Clean! then use the Launcher with MO, the mod will download to Overwrite Folder, then rightclick overwrite & Create Mod, give it a appropriate name, then unsubscribe said Mod from Steam and your Done :laugh:

Squeaky clean Overwrite & Skyrim.Data Folders.

Edit:

If someone tell you you can't use Steams Mods with MO or NMM it means they are Not Advance Users, sorry truth hurts....Deal.

Edit 2:

You unsubscribe so it doesn't repeatedly download to Skyrim.Data Folder or Overwrite Folder, when using Launcher with Steam, or MO, on Future Occasion.

Edit 3:

You just need to find a way to use the Steam Mod once downloaded with your Manager Of Choice. Easy. And unsubscribe from Steam, <- Very Important!!

Edited by PeterMartyr