83 replies to this topic

Site Bot

Site Bot

Fear me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330,565 posts
ATI Fix For 4GB Skyrim And 11-11B Drivers

Are you an ATI user whose Skyrim performance depends on 11.11B or later ATI drivers?

Do you also depend on 4GB Skyrim for max settings or mods?

Feel forced to choose? This file is for you! You are no longer forced to choose between high settings + mods or good performance.

StanDudek

StanDudek

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Having dropped the file in the main directory, and not seeing much, if any, performance boost, I may not be entirely clear as to what this file does. You said that it aliases TESV.exe.4gb as TESV.exe, but in my processes, this does not seem to be the case:

Posted Image

Am I missing something about how this method works?

I'm willing, though, to chalk the lack of performance improvements up to TESV.exe bottlenecking at the CPU, as per:

Posted Image

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just to note, I am using 11.11b, and the latest Skyrim 4GB launcher

Edited by StanDudek, 01 December 2011 - 02:07 AM.

Lambe

Lambe

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It helps for those of us who use Crossfire. ATI drivers will not recognize TESV.exe.4gb as the main exe for skyrim thus will not take advantage of the new driver improvements for the game. I have two 5770 cards and the new 11.11b drivers gave a boost to the game's performance a lot, sadly I had to run the game via default exe without the LAA patch, making me crash frequently. From what I read in the description, this tricks the driver into thinking the 4gb patch is the skyrim that works with its profiles? This may just be what I need to get the best of both worlds. Thanks, will try this soon.

EDIT: Endorsed, works flawlessly, I'm getting same fps ranges with this as I did with the original exe on my crossfire :)

Edited by Lambe, 01 December 2011 - 02:37 AM.

StanDudek

StanDudek

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
To follow up, I now do believe this works.

My performance outside has improved about 10-15 FPS up from ~45 without this file.

I'm sure Crossfire users get even more of a boost, but it's good to see that that even single card users get an improvement.

Thanks for sharing! I'll go ahead and endorse :D

myounage

myounage

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
@ StanDudek: The process is the same. The DLL links to the ATI driver. Skyrim / its libraries are coded to load certain DLLs depending on if a system is ATI or NVIDIA. Atiumdag.dll is one of them. What this DLL does is alias the process name to the driver. It's still TESV.exe.4gb Windows-wise, but the display driver is being told that it is TESV.exe. This file basically lies to the ATI driver, forcing it to apply any Skyrim optimizations it knows.

This SHOULD be forward-compatible with future drivers, and I can confirm it works for me, though I only get 2-4 FPS out of it and flickering distant LODs (a known issue with 11-11B on some cards). I know others get more though without graphical problems, so I uploaded this for them.

remmy88

remmy88

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 350 posts
i know you said this is mainly for 6xxx cards i run a 5850 just wondering though is this just for crossfire setups or is anyone getting improvement with single gpu setups

westinftw

westinftw

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Honestly. If you were in this room right now, I would kiss you. This is amazing. Thank you! But, I do notice that with Crossfire enabled I get less FPS, Glitched Graphics and Yellow Horizontal Lines that flash repeatedly when I open the menu. Does 4GB LAA still not work with Crossfire? Is there a workaround? Thanks.

EDIT: Running two 6950's.

Edited by westinftw, 01 December 2011 - 02:53 AM.

StanDudek

StanDudek

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
@myounage - Thanks for the feed back. After Lambe commented, I came to understand what you described.

@remmy88 - I can confirm that I got a FPS gain, most noticeably outside, with a single 6970.

Edited by StanDudek, 01 December 2011 - 02:56 AM.

silverbluemoon

silverbluemoon

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Thank you, this was much needed! :D

chieftex

chieftex

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Myounage - this is a work of true genius sir. Thank you!

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 2.002 seconds