Nuka World, Raiders and the Minutemen (Preston)

Innocenceislost

Are you guys having a problem with population control at your outposts?

They keep sending more guys over and I just can't keep up with their food and housing demands, Like physically there is not enough room for all their beds. I am trying to fit 17 people at Murkwater and it's just not happening with the two bunkhouses I made. Had to attach another one outside the walls of the compound. and I'm using bunk beds.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you guys having a problem with population control at your outposts?

They keep sending more guys over and I just can't keep up with their food and housing demands, Like physically there is not enough room for all their beds. I am trying to fit 17 people at Murkwater and it's just not happening with the two bunkhouses I made. Had to attach another one outside the walls of the compound. and I'm using bunk beds.

Why don't you build up?

Sriously? I had no problem fitting 20 without bunk beds there. Just build vertically. A single house with ground floor and two upper floors can hold more beds than that.

I'm not even talking about a big colonial mansion either. Think a 3x4 square house with the stairs leading up in the middle and the beds lined around the walls.

Also, I don't know which DLCs you're running, but robots can establish supply lines between Raider and regular settlements. One is enough, since Raider settlements share automatically. Vault-Tec allows for pretty daring multistoried constructions to be expanded above ground level. I built one at Hangman's and was able to fit in bedding for 30 people.

Building up, of course... didn't think of that.

I have all the DLC's, but I don't like using the vault-tec prefabs. I build like this: First is scaffolding frame. Then I put in concrete foundation and floors. Then Roof. Then I attach warehouse or barn walls.

I usually enclose my settlements with rectangular palisade made out of 2x1 scaffolding frame with junk fence attached to it, and guard posts on top, with 2x1 barn flooring, so the settlers can patrol the perimeter.

Well, I guess the warehouse and barn walls do kinda lack the ability to make a tower.

I tend to use the concrete prefab the most these days, because it looks, you know, solid. But even the vanilla wood set allows one to build upwards.

And then, of course, there are the mods. Alternate Settlements lets you build some pretty good looking houses -- hell, you can even carpet the floors and whitepaper the walls if you want to -- and covers just about any look from rotten wood to bricks to stone to you name it. And the wooden scaffolding "sidings" really make it look like old European houses.

Well, I haven't tried that one. I only know the barns from Beth's Far Harbor and Wasteland Workshop. No idea if you can build a believable second floor with that mod. Probably, I guess. Modders tend to make a better job of it than Beth.

I guess in the end it's just a matter of taste.

Edit: though speaking of murkwater and building on a scaffolding, that place has a fair bit of space that's water. You can probably build a fair bit of housing on stilts over the water, if you don't want to re-plan everything vertically and assuming you didn't already build over water.

Sriously? I had no problem fitting 20 without bunk beds there. Just build vertically. A single house with ground floor and two upper floors can hold more beds than that.

I'm not even talking about a big colonial mansion either. Think a 3x4 square house with the stairs leading up in the middle and the beds lined around the walls.

This is what I did too. The fact that they will path up the stairs and such amazed me, and felt confident about tackling any bedding issues I might have.