New Weapon with own Animation

BleedingEye

Hi all,

I'm working on a Armor set for mages and I modeled a magic wand. The closest ingame animation I could think of is the staff animation but it's not suitable for a wand. I have xp32 Maximum Skeleton installed and I know I must use FNIS for modders to insert/add new animations. And my problem is here, how can I add a new animation for a weapon category that is not implemented in the game like the magic wand animation I want to add.

Currently I want to add these animations:

- pull wand, put back,

additional for concentration: fire and hold, stop

additional for fire and forget: charge, hold, fire

So 7 animation in total. I have some basic knowledge about animations in Maya and 3ds max. If someone knows a few tutorial (documents, videos) I would appreciate it or any kind of help.

PS: I've already read the FNIS for Modders documetation.

Edited by BleedingEye

The ONLY way how FNIS could help you is to define your wand as a (sub catefory of a) staff. Then with FNIS Alternate Animation you can define animations which replace the correspondent staff animations. An example (using Oriental Swordmanship animations exclusively for a katana) is part of the FNIS file.

When you want to add additional animations "in between", or want to change the logic of the combat in any way, then you need to implement that into the behaviors. But that is really hard stuff. Extremely tedious and totally undocumented. Only a few have achieved that. AND it will be incompatible with FNIS unless I patch your changes into FNIS.

Hi thanks for the answer. nah I'll skip the implementation part XD not really my thing but part one of your answer is interesting.

So I can make the magic wand a subcategory of the staff and then define which animations should be used instead of the original right? In that case I should start with something easy like changing the idle animation. I may need your help again in future if you don't mind.

Thanks.