Set Quest Stage with Dialogue Papyrus Fragment

So I've been creating a conversation and would like to set the stage of a quest when the NPC says something.

It's just the only method I've seen of doing this requires the dialogue scene to be attached to the same quest as the stage you want to set.

I want to set the stage of a different quest.

I've seen the papyrus fragment boxes in the Topic Info window and assume they work similarly to the result scripts from the GECK but I can't seem to get a script to compile correctly.

Any suggestions?

Make a property for your quest by clicking on the properties button underneath the fragment box and give it the editor ID of your quest then auto fill that property.
Then in the fragmnent box type this

YourQuestProperty.SetStage(StageToSet)

Replace the StageToSet with the number of stage to set.

Make a property for your quest by clicking on the properties button underneath the fragment box and give it the editor ID of your quest then auto fill that property.

Then in the fragmnent box type this

YourQuestProperty.SetStage(StageToSet)

Replace the StageToSet with the number of stage to set.

On attempting to create the property for the quest I keep getting this error message:

Papyrus Compiler Version 2.8.0.4 for Fallout 4

Copyright © ZeniMax Media. All rights reserved.

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...

Compiling "Fragments:TopicInfos:TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF"...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(20,6): Unknown user flag t_01campsitequest

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(28,15): script property PTT_01CampsiteQuest already defined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(28,15): script variable ::PTT_01CampsiteQuest_var already defined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(28,15): script property PTT_01CampsiteQuest already has a get function defined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(30,15): script property P2T_01CampsiteQuest already defined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(30,15): script variable ::P2T_01CampsiteQuest_var already defined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(30,15): script property P2T_01CampsiteQuest already has a get function defined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(32,15): script property P2T_01CampsiteQuest already defined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(32,15): script variable ::P2T_01CampsiteQuest_var already defined

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\Fragments\TopicInfos\TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF.psc(32,15): script property P2T_01CampsiteQuest already has a get function defined

No output generated for Fragments:TopicInfos:TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.

Failed on Fragments:TopicInfos:TIF_2T_TommyCompQuest_0101B1FF

Can you post the script itself?

I hadn't written any scripts at that point. This was from just trying to set up the property.

[update]

Went back into the creation kit after leaving it for a few hours. Worked first try.

No idea why but it seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by MoneyBagsModmann

• 2 months later...

I've just got the same issue. The thing is that you need to add Property BEFORE actually complie the script fragment. Remember to delete the script fragment, so you
won't have old reference somewhere in the script.

It appears that the script fragments sometimes doesn't refresh Properties. You can see it by viewing the script source.