PLANETBUILDINGTABLE.MBIN - Buildings

MadMax1337

Hey guys, I have been messing around with 'PLANETBUILDINGTABLE.MBIN' in order to reduce the number of buildings, that spawn on a planet.

There already is the 'less buildings' mod, but the mod author only changed the 'grouping' of the buildings, not the distance between them or amount of them on the planet.

So the 'less buildings' mod, does only change the group size, not the distance or amount in general.

The XML file has 6 of these Blocks:

<Property name="BuildingSpacing" value="1500" />   
<Property name="BuildingClusterChance1" value="0" /> 
<Property name="BuildingClusterChance2" value="5" /> 
<Property name="BuildingClusterChance3" value="35" />
<Property name="BuildingClusterChance4" value="0" /> 

default values:

'BuildingClusterChance3' is always '35' (can be changed to 100 for 100% chance of clusters/groups)

'BuildingClusterChance4' is always '0' (no idea what this does)

'BuildingSpacing' can be changed to any value, except in Block 4 (of 6).

Whenever I change 'BuildingSpacing' in Block 4, to values below 200 or above 950, the game crashes to desktop, when I fly around a planet.

I already managed to fill the entire planet with ONLY Landing Pads + Tradehubs + Observatories (and nothing else) within 450 Units of space between them.

Reducing the amount of buildings or at least increasing the space between them is also possible, but since I can't change Block 4, there are still some of them left.

This is my current setup: (30.000 Units between all building types, except Block 4)

<Property name="BuildingSpacing" value="30000" /> 
<Property name="BuildingClusterChance1" value="1" /> 
<Property name="BuildingClusterChance2" value="5" /> 
<Property name="BuildingClusterChance3" value="35" />
<Property name="BuildingClusterChance4" value="0" /> 

Did anyone else try to figure out a way to work with this file?

I would be happy if anyone could share some insights, since loading times after restarting the game are driving me crazy - since i have to fly around on the planet to see changes aswell. :confused:

There is also a 2nd half of the XML-file with density, ground flattening, numbers of models, sound and waterplacement for each type of building.

So there are many ways modders could change the appearance of the buildings and number of buildings within a group.
The number of 'Knowledge Stones' or the distance between them, does not get affected by this file (or at least not by the first 6 blocks).

I just tried to figure out which type of building gets changed by which of the 6 blocks.

At the moment it looks like only block 4 changes the distance between all buildings. :mad:

Because the other 5 Blocks were at 'BuildingSpacing = 30.000', but changing them to '200' did not change anything (as far as i can tell right now). :sad:

Which means, that the current max distance (without game crashes) seems to be around 950 Units between each type of building. :confused:

I am gonna keep on trying and see if the other blocks will change something else (maybe within another planet-type / alien-type?)

Edit:

Here is all the info you need to understand the file:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSPortals/comments/4zycyz/finding_portals_is_there_anything_we_know_for/

Edited by MadMax1337

Hmm, don't know how you did it. I took the files from the link (including that version of MLibCompiler). Extracted one pak to workspace folder. Ok, I see the tool works to decompile...

However, I tried manually...

E:\MYFILES\NOMANSKY>mbincompiler workspace/language/nms_loc1_useenglish.mbin

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadUInt32()
   at MBINCompiler.Models.NMSTemplate.DeserializeValue(BinaryReader reader, Type field, NMSAttribute settings, Int64 templatePosition, FieldInfo fieldInfo, NMSTemplate parent)
   at MBINCompiler.Models.NMSTemplate.DeserializeBinaryTemplate(BinaryReader reader, String templateName)
   at MBINCompiler.MBINFile.Load()
   at MBINCompiler.Program.DecompileFile(String input, String output)
   at MBINCompiler.Program.Main(String[] args)

And I really want to make a big batch file to decompile the entire game (all the mlibs) so that I can search then for stuff in the exml files.