Real Magic? I would like to discover what you think real magic is in you opinion.

Deleted54170User

I heard it said, when I was very young, that there is no such thing as magic.

I can see there might be room for debate on whether the word real is put into the question.

I am thinking of magic though.

I know illusion magic is what magicians on stage or street magician do. At least most of them I have watched are illusionists.

I wonder if magic is base? Uninteresting? So much so that it isn't thought of with delight and doesn't excite us any?

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks kvnchrist for your hypothetical description.

What knowledge is required to prepare a neophyte to become a magician who can transform everything in a blink of an eye and cost nothing more than a little bit of time and effort?

In my evaluation of your words I can realize that a little time and effort is costly and even a blink of an eye may take some time to learn while developing in the womb and for several moments after being born.

@HeyYou---yep gotta love Arthur C Clark.

I think quantum theory is magic. Because if you do something enough times in this theory it will eventually work. So if you try to go through a wall more times that the universe has existed then it will work..obviously not a really good thing to try. ha ha

But seriously, looking at quantum theory, mechanics, string theory, parallel universes, quantum entanglement (spooky physics)....and the large, mindbogglingly huge things like black holes...well really can one think of better magic than that?

I think quantum theory is magic. Because if you do something enough times in this theory it will eventually work. So if you try to go through a wall more times that the universe has existed then it will work..obviously not a really good thing to try. ha ha

But seriously, looking at quantum theory, mechanics, string theory, parallel universes, quantum entanglement (spooky physics)....and the large, mindbogglingly huge things like black holes...well really can one think of better magic than that?

I knew there would be folks here that would recognize that line. :D

Thanks Honey. :D

I discovered an interesting fact when I noticed the news that Alan Moore was retiring from comics. I was reading about him retiring. He has participated by speaking about Magic in part 2 on, "What is Magic?" Part 1 is enlightening and after I post this for you folks I am going to watch part 2 which Alan Moore Spoke on.

Any sufficiently advanced technology would appear "magical" to those unfamiliar with it.

Watch the episode of Babylon 5, where the technomages made their appearance. :D

I remember watching each show. That was when I spent time channel surfing with the remote and Babylon 5 caused me to resist pushing the next channel button each time it aired. Dr. Who was another series that did that. Stopped my thumb for the duration of each show.

Fractal art too?

After watching What is Magic? part 1 and part 2, while I was writing to you folks just now I had this thought, "Now where in time am I most prominent in my mind? Hmm?"

I knew there would be folks here that would recognize that line. :D

Thanks Honey. :D

The man wrote great Sci-fi and invented the communication satellite....He should be on money somewhere.