Updating GECK Issue "Old file does not exist" (Windows 10)

Hello folks,

Maybe someone has a solution for me, even i doubt it i want to ask anyway. I refer to http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/759/? (GECK for Fallout 3)

The so called "full version 1.5" seems to be the older version 1.1 not 1.5. When i look at the version number of geck, via "about" menu option, it shows me these VN: 1.1.0.36.

And this is a problem for me, since i’m unable to update the official 1.1. version of GECK.

I tried it with Steam (german GOTY) as well as a non Steam (english) version of Fallout 3.

The updating error message reads as follows: "Old file does not exist"

All suggested solutions i could find about this in the internet turned out not working for me.

And yes, i placed the update right into the Fallout-3-folder and also i have the necessary *.dll files, namely: libvorbisfile and libvorbis.

My OS is Windows 10. Maybe this is causing additional problems?

• 10 months later...

Was this issue ever resolved? I'm having the same problem. Trd installs nothing, I had to get the GECK Update exe from the link provided. Both of the files are where they are supposed to be.

The Garden of creation kit update executable will not install on a 1.7 version of the engine.

the update executable is looking for the original vanilla engine that comes off the CD that's the only way you're going to update the Garden of creation kit update

SERIOUSLY!?... Well that's retarded. No wonder there isn't as much content for Fallout 3 as there is for New Vegas...

Is there any way to trick the program into running anyway?

not that I'm aware of the original CD came with a program called secure ROM

a d r m scheme that was supposed to prevent duplicatD but Windows 10 will not allow you to install the game from the CD because it won't allow that program to run at all however it Dutch install on Windows 7 and the bad thing about that is then used to have to deal with that DRM garbage on your operating system.

the bottom line is you need to get an old computer that has Windows XP on it and install from a CD the vanilla package and then copy that entire package to a USB flash drive and copy it over onto your existing game on Windows 10 with the current computer the files deposited that overrides the current 1.7 version of the game engine and other components will then be accepted by the Garden of creation kit update program does updating the kit then you download the 1.7 update for the engine game itself and you're back in business this is the only work around I'm aware of.

Yes ... install the geck update before the game update ...

But there is that issue of having the current GFWL client before anything will run proper.

And please !!! Just install the game outside of program files for peat sake.

Mythos2114 said : Is there any way to trick the program into running anyway?

Well of course there is ... but the nexus wanting to function as a public source of information couldn't entertain hosting such practices ... that could lead to culpability and getting it shut down !

Yes ... install the geck update before the game update ...

But there is that issue of having the current GFWL client before anything will run proper.

And please !!! Just install the game outside of program files for peat sake.

Mythos2114 said : Is there any way to trick the program into running anyway?

Well of course there is ... but the nexus wanting to function as a public source of information couldn't entertain hosting such practices ... that could lead to culpability and getting it shut down !

I have a Steam copy of the game, it's not like I'm trying to do anything illegal.. just trying to find a work around for one of Bugthesda's oversights.

But I know how the Nexus can be, so I understand the paranoia.

Well of course ... everybody is just trying to make this game work ... after legally purchasing it.

Sure the nexus would like to post explicit instructions on how not to end up coming here asking for instructions.

But the reality is there isn't even 1 answer in the realm of leagal/illeagal .

But the fact still remains that Beth could legally sue Nexus for hosting instructions ....................................................................................................... So what do you think they should do knowing that ?