Request-> Quiet Stockings alphamap = Non transparent

mike86dk

So ive been looking all over the internet for a mod that simply makes quiets stockings non-transparent, like maybe they were some kind of yogapants or leggings.
I think the default outfit is cool and fitting for the hot and humid climate of the african jungle... but those stockings.. and the thong-thing.... Its just ugly and not-cool in my opinion.
She would look like a badass in leggings. Dont care about the lore. I just want a cool buddy on my team. And all it takes is for those stockings to not be transperent.
Someone... Help me out here.
Im no stranger to mesh or texture editing, so could probably edit the alphamap or just retexture the whole thing... but i dont know where to find the files or how to edit them..
from what ive read on the net you cant just use photoshop.

Help a fellow Diamond Dog out, brothers.

Give Quiet yogapants
->
Thank me later :wink:

Edited by mike86dk

If you haven't already, grab the QAR Tool and the latest QAR dictionary.

Unpack texture0 with the QAR Tool. In the unpacked texture0 folder, go to Assets\tpp\chara\qui\Pictures. All of the files that begin with qui0_body_0_def_xxx (xxx will be three letters; i.e. bsm, nrm, lym, etc...) are the ones you're looking for.

Now, you'll need the FtexTool. Drag each of the qui_body_0_def_xxx.ftex files (not the ftexs files) onto the FtexTool. This will give you a .dds image which you can then edit. If you plan on fixing the rips in her stockings, I won't be able to help you there as MGSV uses a unique normal map which I'm unsure how to edit/reproduce. You will also run into a similar issue with the light reflection map if you plan on editing it.

After you've finished making your edited textures, output them as .dds and drag them onto the FtexTool. The FtexTool will produce the .ftex, .1.ftexs. .2.ftexs, and .3.ftexs files for you. Once you've gotten that far, let me know and I'll help you get them working correctly in-game.

Okay thanks for this.. but I cant find that qui folder... its just not there in the chara folder, tons of others, but no qui folder. I also looked in the other texture1 - 4 with no luck.
Could it be somewhere else? Do I have to go through all of the files in texture0 one by one until I get lucky? How does that texture even look like?

Oh yeah you were right, I had the wrong dictionary, could have sworn I just updated that... oh well...
On to the next issue:
So I got the DDS files - I edited them and saved them again.

But the Ftextool wont convert them back.

Something about "unknown pixelformat type" Any ideas?

Edited by mike86dk

Probably has to do with the exported .dds format. The FtexTool isn't friendly with all .dds formats. Make a lossless copy of your edited textures (for editing purposes; if you need to go back and make changes) before proceeding.

Try exporting the textures as DXT5 and make sure you generate mipmaps. Textures in this format should be compatible with the FtexTool.

Okay great .. yeah that did the trick... Now im at the point were i need to get the textures to work in-game. :D

Edit:
Hmm tried to just repack the textures... but they turn out yellow/white in game for some reason.. like they arent even loading..
but if you get close, I can kinda make out the new textures.. they are black and white tho.. ??

Next step?

Edited by mike86dk

Alright, to get the textures to work properly in-game, you need to unpack chunk1.dat with the QAR Tool.

Grab GzsTool. Replace qar_dictionary.txt with the dictionary.txt you got for the QAR Tool (copy the updated dictionary.txt into the GzsTool folder, delete qar_dictionary.txt and rename dictionary.txt to qar_dictionary.txt).

In the chunk1 folder, go to Assets\tpp\pack\buddy\quiet. In this folder, look for buddy_quiet2_00.pftxs. Once you see it, drag it onto GzsTool to unpack it. Copy all of the .ftex and .ftexs files you generated with FtexTool into the unpacked buddy_quiet2_00_pftxs folder. It should ask you to replace 2 files for each generated texture; select yes.

Once you're done that, go back to the Assets\tpp\pack\buddy\quiet folder and look for buddy_quiet2_00.pftxs.xml. Open up this xml file in a text editor (I'd recommend Notepad++; don't use normal Notepad).

Look the Entry section that corresponds with the textures you edited. I.e. if you edited qui0_body0_def_bsm, look for:

<Entry>
  <Entries xmlns="Pftxs">
    <EntryData FilePath="/Assets/tpp/chara/qui/Pictures/qui0_body0_def_bsm.ftex" />
    <EntryData FilePath="/Assets/tpp/chara/qui/Pictures/qui0_body0_def_bsm.1.ftexs" />
  </Entries>
</Entry>

Now, you need to modify the xml to have entries for the .2.ftexs and .3.ftexs as well. Using the above example, the modified version would look like this:

<Entry>
  <Entries xmlns="Pftxs">
    <EntryData FilePath="/Assets/tpp/chara/qui/Pictures/qui0_body0_def_bsm.ftex" />
    <EntryData FilePath="/Assets/tpp/chara/qui/Pictures/qui0_body0_def_bsm.1.ftexs" />
    <EntryData FilePath="/Assets/tpp/chara/qui/Pictures/qui0_body0_def_bsm.2.ftexs" />
    <EntryData FilePath="/Assets/tpp/chara/qui/Pictures/qui0_body0_def_bsm.3.ftexs" />
  </Entries>
</Entry>

Repeat this for each edited texture.

Once you're done that, drag the edited xml file onto GzsTool and it will rebuild the pftxs file. If GzsTool throws an exception, either the entry was modified incorrectly in the xml file, or the additional files of the modified textures were not added to the extracted folder.

Once the pftxs is rebuilt, you can delete the extracted pftxs' folder and the extracted pftxs' xml file.

After that, you can rebuild chunk1 by dragging the chunk1.inf file onto the QAR Tool. After that, start up MGSV and select Quiet in her default uniform as your buddy. You should see your edits.

Good lord... this sure isnt fallout modding thats for sure... haha

Im really grateful that you took the time to lay all this out to me... thanks mate.
This next step is going to take a while tho... I discovered that several entries in the xml file was missing...
I figured it was because i have some mods that alter some files (sniperwolf replacement for default outfit and such)
So im going to do a fresh install of the game and then start from the beginning. But thanks to you, I have a better understanding of what im doing.
Will report back as soon as ive finished everything...

It totally worked.. this is great...
Now I just have to work a little on the texture to have it blend in more... Its far too black...
But this is a great first step ..
Thanks for everything mate!