VirtualInstall and HDD Space

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

irswat

irswat

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,635 posts

I'm having this problem also. Actually its worse. If you look in the overwrites folder there are duplicates of the duplicates.

reachfox

reachfox

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Me too. Same problem.

15 GB sized " VirtualInstall"       +   the downloaded mods in the MODS folder located in NMM installfolder        +       all the BA2 and folders are phyiscally there on the game data folder, basically using 3 times the space it would need to use, without any " Simlink" or " Hardlink " whatsoever.

I have both the game and NMM on the same drive, an SSD. I did that so there was no need to create any duplicates, but NMM is doing it anyways.

Please we need a solution to this problem! Can i erase the virtualinstall folder?

irswat

irswat

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,635 posts

if your game works I wouldnt touch anything lol. I made the mistake of accidentally touching something and broke the game irreparably

espresko

espresko

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

i have exact same problem with you guys, my 40 gb skyrim occupies 80 gb of my worthy ssd storage, and i dont have much left.

SuzanoSho

SuzanoSho

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 250 posts

Thanks for the info in this thread!...

olemanwinter

olemanwinter

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Just to necro this thread.  The problem still exists.  If you want to install a 1GB mod the following will happen.   You will lose -1GB when you first download the file from the Nexus, then when you activate and click the green check mark in NMM (community supported version) your available hard drive space will drop by another -2GB.

What I plan to do is to install everything, and test it all using NMM and get the load order the way I want it, and then copy the mod folder to a jump drive and delete everything except the actual game folder/data folder.  Going to delete NMM and all corresponding folders it creates to try to get back the lost space.

HadToRegister

HadToRegister

Awake at stupid o'clock

• Premium Member
  • 15,861 posts

Just to necro this thread.  The problem still exists.  If you want to install a 1GB mod the following will happen.   You will lose -1GB when you first download the file from the Nexus, then when you activate and click the green check mark in NMM (community supported version) your available hard drive space will drop by another -2GB.

What I plan to do is to install everything, and test it all using NMM and get the load order the way I want it, and then copy the mod folder to a jump drive and delete everything except the actual game folder/data folder.  Going to delete NMM and all corresponding folders it creates to try to get back the lost space.

Then all your mods in the Data folder will disappear, because you've deleted the ACTUAL Physical files in the Virtual Install Folder that the Hardlinks in the Game\Data Folder were referring to.

Apparently nobody understands that the files in your Data folder, despite what windows tells you, do not exist, and are there through LINKS to the Virtual Install folder where the files actually exist.
Windows just reports 80 gigs when 40 gigs are actually used up, because that's what windows does.

Download folder - contains Mod 7.z, .rar, .zip----------->Virtual Install folder contains the actual physical files that were extracted from the mod 7z, rar, zip----------------->NMM/Vortex/Mo2 creates virtual LINKS from the Virtual Install Folder and now your Data folder looks like it physically has the Physical files from the Virtual Install Folder, but they are only links, linking BACK to the Virtual Install Folder.

This isn't a difficult concept.

Again the PHYSICAL Mods exist in the Virtual Install Folder, the mods that show up in your Game\Data Folder, are only there through LINKS to the actual Physical Mods in the Virtual Install Folder

Meaning, If you delete the Virtual Install Folder, you will delete everything in your Game\Data Folder, because you're deleting the actual PHYSICAL Mods in the Virtual Install Folder, so nothing will exist Through LINKS, in the Game\Data folder once you delete the PHYSICAL Mods in the Virtual Install Folder.

Broombrooer836

Broombrooer836

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Same problem

JimmyRJump

JimmyRJump

MoralMinority

• Premium Member
  • 10,863 posts

Same problem

Well, there really is no problem at all, since that's the way NMM works (as do other mod managers like Mod Organizer and Vortex, so, switching isn't an option).  The only solution is to copy NMM to a different and larger hard drive.  Copy, so that you can point NMM to the new folders without getting an error (which would occur when moving the NMM files and folders since then the NMM software would be unable to find the folders the game NMM manages points to) and then you can delete the 'old' folders.

Page loaded in: 0.983 seconds