Skyrim SE and 64 bit, what does it mean

l0new0lf331

So I am looking forward to the Skyrim SE coming out next month and was wondering what does 64bit bring to the table for Vanilla Skyrim. What does it mean for modding/mod authoring? I know 64bit allows a program to use more than 4GB of system RAM, does this mean the CTD from hitting the 3.1GB RAM is over with? Will it help with stability at all? Though I know stability is more based off of Bethesda actually optimizing their engine which following their usual practices won't happen. Sorry for noobish questions.

So I am looking forward to the Skyrim SE coming out next month and was wondering what does 64bit bring to the table for Vanilla Skyrim. What does it mean for modding/mod authoring? I know 64bit allows a program to use more than 4GB of system RAM, does this mean the CTD from hitting the 3.1GB RAM is over with? Will it help with stability at all? Though I know stability is more based off of Bethesda actually optimizing their engine which following their usual practices won't happen. Sorry for noobish questions.

consider it's 64 bit it means it can have tons of mods, also if i recall correctly it's have it's own ENB settings (like fallout 4).

You are right. Switching to 64-bit WILL make the game more stable (mostly by allowing more RAM to be used.) In addition to this, GPUs with more than 4GB of VRAM will now really pay-off for their users (TRON reference!!) as you will now be able to blow right past the old mod limit (256 plug-ins, if I remember correctly) and get the most out of your texture-heavy mods. Also, you won't have to bash together mods in a patch to keep under the old 256 plug-in limit. This will also contribute to stability.

The engine itself is reputed to have ENB-like effects baked right in. Thus, the "new-vanilla" Skyrim will look like it is already visually modded right out of the box. (Errr, not that the new edition comes in a box, but.... -C'mon, you know what I meant.)

What you should be REALLY looking forward to is when the Silverlock team gets their hands on the new engine and releases an updated SKSE. Right after that happens, you can expect to see a lot of mod authors start updating their mods through the CK to work for the new 64-bit version along with SKSE so that we get the new, prettier and more stable game along with all the awesome MCM equipped mods we've been using with the old 32-bit engine.

How much more stable will the new engine be in "real-world" terms? I don't know. But I do know this: We're all gonna start finding out in just a few weeks!

Edited by LeddBate

In addition to this, GPUs with more than 4GB of VRAM will now really pay-off for their users (TRON reference!!) as you will now be able to blow right past the old mod limit (256 plug-ins, if I remember correctly) and get the most out of your texture-heavy mods.

Most of these "texture-heavy" mods don't use a plugin at all so this limit you mentioned is totally irrelevant.

But, the more texture heavy (or perhaps I should say, higher resolution like 2k and 4k) mods you have, the more VRAM they consume, right? So a GPU with more memory buffer can have more -and higher resolution, mods installed without the player running out of VRAM. Admittedly, I probably muddied the water by mentioning the plug-in limit.

But, the more texture heavy (or perhaps I should say, higher resolution like 2k and 4k) mods you have, the more VRAM they consume, right? So a GPU with more memory buffer can have more -and higher resolution, mods installed without the player running out of VRAM.

Yes but that already is in effect for the old Skyrim.

But, the more texture heavy (or perhaps I should say, higher resolution like 2k and 4k) mods you have, the more VRAM they consume, right? So a GPU with more memory buffer can have more -and higher resolution, mods installed without the player running out of VRAM. Admittedly, I probably muddied the water by mentioning the plug-in limit.

you can edit Enblocal to have Hugh amount of memory reserved for it's VRAM. *unless you running windows 10* hahaha what a worthless OS.

i have reserved 12 GB video memory for skyrim so it's runs smooth.

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=1024
VideoMemorySizeMb=12288
EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

What you should be REALLY looking forward to is when the Silverlock team gets their hands on the new engine and releases an updated SKSE. Right after that happens, you can expect to see a lot of mod authors start updating their mods through the CK to work for the new 64-bit version along with SKSE so that we get the new, prettier and more stable game along with all the awesome MCM equipped mods we've been using with the old 32-bit engine.

So this should mean that the issues with scripts will be over? Stable scripts both vanilla and modded!? That would be wonderful!!

Sorry it's been a while since I played Skyrim, I just remember Papyrus was a 3rd party script engine, or something like that, and wasn't built into the engine properly and thus issues with vanilla/modded scripts were present. I may be wrong or remembering it incorrectly, if so enlighten me.

I know it's too much to hope that the animations are handled better by the engine now, that and the scripting were what I had issues with (just preference issues for animations). The only other issues I really had were my ability to add just one more mod which would somehow break my game (eventually). :tongue:

Thanks for the responses!