Question about the Windows 10 update/driver issue.

Ru5tyShackleford

They aren't going to fix things unless lots of people start complaining to them I think. There's a topic in General I posted about it with a link to their thread about it, and also to file a report in the first post.

Really!? I thought that they already knew about it and were working on it!

Well that really dampens my mood...

Really hope they do something soon...

Just in case others are not aware of it, under the Windows 10 OEM license you can "downgrade" from 10 to your previous version of Windows (7 or 8.1) as long as you have access to the media (i.e. install disks or an ISO file.) You can then upgrade back to Win10 later on when they have fixed these issues. (Pay attention: these downgrade rights do not apply to "Home Edition" versions. Yet another reason to only install or upgrade to the "Pro" version. "Home" editions are always "crippled" versions "for your protection (aka "frustration")".)

For advanced users: If you have a Windows 10 Education, Professional, or Enterprise edition you can use the included "Win10 Hyper-V system" and try running the game in a Win7 or 8.1 "virtual machine". See HyperV on Windows compatibility for the hardware requirements and a walk-through of the installation process. Note this requires you to have or obtain an ".iso" file of the desired OS install media. (If none of this option makes sense, you probably don't want to mess with it. Otherwise, educate yourself.) Surprisingly I have found that apps which choke about a hardware driver under the current but a newer OS version will often run just fine ON THE SAME HARDWARE with the same driver under a virtual machine with an older OS.

@Lionsdale and others: Windows updates always create a "restore point". You can rollback to the restore point (or even earlier ones) to regain prior functionality when an update breaks you.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

It's a problem with the Windows Driver Development Kit, microsoft changed something in it and it's unlikely they are going to fix it. NVIDIA and AMD have already passed the buck to microsoft about it. It's listed as an "application error" and since these games are no longer updated... well. Don't get your hopes up. Queued posted he has a solution to it however, but he want's to see if the next windows update fixes it first. Which will be on patch Tuesday which is the 2nd Tuesday of each month.