How to fix the Creation Kits oversized windows?

tinpin609

OK, the problem that I am having has to do with the Creation Kit and a few of the windows being to big for my monitors. I have two HP 27vx running at 1920 x 1080 and a Geforce GTX 960 Graphics Card, I can not see how any of the computers components or settings that I have could be creating this problem. I have tried looking out at the different community's posts for a fix and I have found one possible so far. That is to modify the CreationKitPrefs.ini. I know how to get in to it and how to edit it, but not sure what line effects what part. If any one can point out the right lines or have a reworked .ini that I can drop in I would be very thankful. Thank you for your time look over this.

Edit: What I mean by to big is windows that are so large that the bottom half of the window is past the edge of the screen and you can not drag it into view.

Edited by tinpin609

Can't you re-size the windows? Grab a corner, and shrink 'em?

Nope, there size is locked in place. Modding the CreationKitPrefs.ini can change there size, but correct number values within are not known to me. I worked on it for a few hours changing values and could not figure out any frame for sizes or the short hand naming.

Edited by tinpin609

They shouldn't be locked in placed o_O, I can resize all of them just fine. You can't however resize the big ass ReferenceAlias and Terminal windows if you run the CK on a Laptop.. need something like AltDrag to get around.

Edit: What I mean by to big is windows that are so large that the bottom half of the window is past the edge of the screen and you can not drag it into view.

Yeah as I thought. The one of those windows I mentioned were a problem in Skyrim's CK as well but not for everyone. For any unnecessarily stupidly huge ass windows you do need a dragging program.

Edited by EveningTide

The terminal windows were too big for my screen also, and I wasn't sure how to click the OK button after editing a terminal, so I tried pressing Enter instead of the OK button and that worked. :smile:

This works too(you can also hold shift and press enter I think) but in the case of the 100yrd long ReferenceAlias window which has other fields that hard to see besides the ok button.. yeah need to see all of that. Especially if you want to add any combat overriding.

If I am understanding you correctly, the windows are too large to be able to get to the corners or top bar to move/resize. If so, follow these steps:

How to move a window using only the keyboard

1. Enter the keyboard combination Alt+Space Bar to open the system menu.
  2. Type the letter “m”.
  3. A double-headed pointer will appear.
  4. Then use the arrow keys to move the window up, down, right, or left.
  5. Once the window is positioned, press “Enter”.

How to resize a window using only the keyboard

1. Enter the keyboard combination Alt+Space Bar to open the system menu.
  2. Type the letter “s”
  3. A double-headed pointer will appear
  4. To make the window smaller, press the right arrow key to select the right edge of the window and then repeatedly press the left arrow to reduce the size
  5. Press “Enter”.

If I am understanding you correctly, the windows are too large to be able to get to the corners or top bar to move/resize. If so, follow these steps:

Actually, I think the issue is that the windows are 'modal', and can't be resized, because they aren't designed to be. Conventional wisdom says that since CK was designed to fit BGS's single hardware spec (i.e. everybody had the same size monitor), the devs didn't need to put that in.

And here we are. It was never designed to be a commercial product, but you would think that knowing it would be released, they would've taken that into account.