Horse perspective bug

Eferas

I *may* have an idea why it happens but need more info before pointing fingers on whatever mod. If you load a save *before* you have sailed the first time to Solstheim, and sail there, during the boat trip you notice anything unusual if you move the camera?

What was your idea? My save is way before the quest when dragon cultists attack me and may take a long time to test it.

There are a few mods out there that break the camera during the boat trip, no idea how and why. Since you are reporting that the problem is triggered during/after the Dragonborn quest, perhaps after you sail to Solstheim with those mods installed something else with the horse camera gets screwed up.

I *may* have an idea why it happens but need more info before pointing fingers on whatever mod. If you load a save *before* you have sailed the first time to Solstheim, and sail there, during the boat trip you notice anything unusual if you move the camera?

What was your idea? My save is way before the quest when dragon cultists attack me and may take a long time to test it.

There are a few mods out there that break the camera during the boat trip, no idea how and why. Since you are reporting that the problem is triggered during/after the Dragonborn quest, perhaps after you sail to Solstheim with those mods installed something else with the horse camera gets screwed up.

Could you name them, please?

Meanwhile, here's my load order:

Skyrim.esm=1

Update.esm=1

Dawnguard.esm=1

HearthFires.esm=1

Dragonborn.esm=1

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp=1

JSwords.esm=1

ClimatesOfTamriel.esm=1

RSkyrimChildren.esm=1

RichMerchants_Less.esp=0

longercandlelight2min.esp=1

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp=1

TAZ_killcamtweak.esp=1

FA Guard Helmet.esp=1

Two-Handed Speed-Based Perks.esp=1

grimsever2h.esp=1

RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1

Headtracking.esp=1

Random Vampire Attacks in Towns Disabled.esp=1

Beards.esp=1

Auto Unequip Ammo.esp=1

DialogueTweaks.esp=1

EnhancedLightsandFX.esp=1

Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp=1

Friendlier Taverns.esp=1

ELFXEnhancer.esp=1

Armored Skeleton.esp=1

LPBardClothes.esp=1

JSwords_Load_Screens.esp=1

RaceMenu.esp=1

SkyUI.esp=1

MinimalHUD.esp=1

Honeyside.esp=1

Breezehome_Fully_Upgradable.esp=1

SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp=1

ProudspireManorImprovements.esp=1

WarmongerArmory_Vanilla.esp=1

WarmongerArmory_DLC.esp=1

aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp=1

Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1

Lore Weapon Expansion.esp=1

WarmongerArmory_LeveledList.esp=1

BDYEB.esp=1

1nivWICCloaks.esp=1

No More Glowing Edges.esp=1

DragonBoneEbony_Replacer.esp=1

WeaponSpells.esp=1

Feminine Females.esp=1

imperialshield.esp=1

Customizable Camera.esp=1

Daedric Dawnbreaker.esp=1

DawnofSolitude.esp=1

DawnofWindhelm.esp=1

Populated Lands Roads Paths Legendary.esp=1

Holidays.esp=1

JK's Falkreath.esp=1

JK's Rorikstead.esp=1

Thieves Guild Requirements.esp=1

BFT Ships and Carriages.esp=1

TheChoiceIsYours.esp=1

JK's Dawnstar.esp=1

JK's Winterhold.esp=1

Inconsequential NPCs.esp=1

JK's Riverwood.esp=1

JKs Whiterun.esp=1

JKs Riften.esp=1

Inigo.esp=1

Skyrim Better Roads and Bridges - All In One - Merged.esp=1

ELFX - NoHjerim.esp=1

The Honored Dead.esp=1

Run For Your Lives.esp=1

SL01AmuletsSkyrim.esp=1

JKs Dragon Bridge.esp=1

JK's Morthal.esp=1

JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp=1

TCOSS.esp=1

Skyhaven_modified.esp=1

ExtraBlades.esp=1

JK's Ivarstead.esp=1

Farm Animals_HF.esp=1

DawnguardArsenal.esp=1

Farmers Sell Produce - Skyrim.esp=1

JKs Whiterun exterior.esp=1

TimingIsEverything.esp=1

beginnersshack.esp=1

The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp=1

Dramatic Helgen.esp=1

Convenient Horses.esp=1

NB-Scars.esp=1

Armour_of_Yngol.esp=1

Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1

iNeed.esp=1

Portable Campsite.esp=1

Equipping Overhaul.esp=1

Populated Skyrim Prisons Cells.esp=1

Blades Hakama.esp=1

SkyrimHighDefinitionLODs.esp=1

SkyrimHighDefinitionLODsDragonborn.esp=1

Rough Leather Armor.esp=1

DawnofMarkarth.esp=1

No Dragon LODs v2 full.esp=1

Brows.esp=1

KS Hairdo's.esp=1

Extended UI.esp=1

Footprints.esp=1

Elisif Makeover.esp=1

FarmAnimals_HF-iNeed Patch.esp=1

iNeed - Dangerous Diseases.esp=1

bodyscars.esp=1

FNIS.esp=1

PotionUpgrades.esp=1

Inconsequential NPCs - Enhancement.esp=1

Armor Addons.esp=1

MovementSpeedsFixed.esp=1

TKDodge.esp=1

Snotgurg Equipment HUD.esp=1

Blue Palace Frescos.esp=1

InigoMCM.esp=1

RandomIdleAnimation.esp=1

SpellSwordArmor.esp=1

HallgarthAdditionalHair.esp=1

ViewableFactionRanksBothDLC.esp=1

StormcloakHeroGear.esp=1

WSCO - OcciFemaleUNP.esp=1

WSCO - OcciBetterMale.esp=1

XPMSE.esp=1

aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp=1

Dual Sheath Redux.esp=1

DSAMG - Miraak Music Fixes.esp=1

DSAMG - Greybeard Fix.esp=1

SkyFalls Dragonborn Small waterfalls.esp=1

Skysan_Icicle.esp=1

SL01AmuletsSkyrimDGDB_Outfit_WICCloaks.esp=1

ERSO 13 - MD - A Better Level Progression.esp=0

WetandCold.esp=1

WetandCold - Ashes.esp=1

YOT - Your Own Thoughts.esp=1

ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp=1

ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp=1

RSChildren - Complete.esp=1

RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp=1

WSCO - Better NPCs.esp=1

TMHousecarls.esp=1

ELFX - NoBreezehome.esp=1

ELFX - NoProudspireManor.esp=1

ELFX - NoHoneyside.esp=1

Swordsman Armor.esp=1

NoRandomDragons.esp=1

Lanfael.esp=1

Akaviri Dai-Katana.esp=1

Bashed Patch, 0.esp=1

Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp=1

You don't need to start the Dragonborn quest to sail to Solstheim, just go to the Windhelm harbor and talk to the captain. None of the problematic mods I thought of are in your list, so they are not worth mentioning. Nevertheless, if I were you I'd try to travel by boat to Raven Rock, if you have something problematic in your load order you should be able to look around during the boat sequence. If the camera is locked as intended I'm out of ideas.

I tested travelling to Solstheim, the camera was locked and moved a little on its own, then I got control of my character again. I also summoned the horse on the island and went for a ride with him (something I didn't do the first time, I never used the horse there), then I saved and reloaded but the bug didn't show up at all.

My guess is that the problem, the bug, is caused by the dragon riding sequence before your final fight against Miraak. It's the only event that changes the camera and locks it behind another creature.

If that is the case you might want to teleport there from your "good" save, start the scene and see what happens afterwards. You'll need the cell name to COC there and issue a number of quest commands to start the scene properly.

I have no idea how to start testing this theory properly. I linked this topic to the guy who made the unofficial patch, I hope he takes an interest and give a look to it. I will have to keep playing without the damn horse...

I hate this amazing game so much, every time I play it some bugs f*** my game and I have to uninstall the whole thing and start again (that's why I never finished Dragonborn in 5 years). I hope the Special Edition will fix this kind of s***.

Thanks to everybody who posted here. :smile:

Edited by Eferas

This bug recently happened to me too and on my save, I can confirm that it's dragon riding that causes this. It will always trigger when I use bend will on a dragon and ride it. Upon further testing, I found out it's related to the way the dragon lands that triggers this bug. If the dragon lands and i dismount and my crosshair disappears, this bug would trigger 100% without fail. If I dismount and my crosshair is visible, then I'm good to go.

Unfortunately atm, the only way to fix an affected save is to 1) player.tc (twice) in the console every goddamn time you load a save or 2) Install a horse mod that you can summon, player.tc (twice) in the console, ride it for a minute, dismount, save your game, uninstall the mod, load your game (the camera should reset back to your character and all your future saves would load as normal) but you can never ride a horse again (it will glitch again if you do).

One player report claims that you can use the player.tc method, summon Arvak, ride the crap outta him and once he gets unsummoned, you can load your save as usual but he will be the ONLY horse that you can ride (lucky him lol). This method DID NOT work for me probably because my Arvak was modded so that he would stay as long as I don't unsummon him manually. However, the best way imo, is to fall back to a unaffected save (preferably one where you have not ridden a dragon before).

I did however found out what was causing this glitch (for me at least). It's mods that replace dragon animations. Without it, my character would land 10 times out of 10 without glitches. With dragon animation replacer mods there's a 40 to 50% chance that it will bug out.

FYI there have been reports of PS3 users whom have experienced the horse perspective glitch, so it could very well be a vanilla thing. I think in my case, dragon animation replacer mods simply exacerbates the bug.

Lucky for me I caught this early, a 419 hrs save and I've only just traveled to Solstheim lol. I was able to fall back to a backup save not too far back. Hope this helps :smile: So far everything seems good. Until the next bug at least.

Edited by Decius Argonath