Mod Deficit, the Indicator of a Game's Quality

CommanderAE

If memory serves, Fallout 3 had a wealth of mods. New Vegas's was a bit less impressive but pretty good all the same. Fallout 4 however, it seems to have a distinct lack of good mods. Most of it seems to be CBBE related, with some guns in between and half of which seem to be abandoned back in May or April. A good number of them are dedicated to simply 'fixing' what the Devs failed to do or complete in the first place. One would think they'd have taken notes from Enclave Commander forever ago, been able to easily release the crappy settlement building DLCs as patches and give us some seriously interesting content. It wouldn't be a stretch to say, as much time and passable enjoyment I've gotten out of Fallout 4, that its comparatively an utter failure in the shadow of the past two iterations.

Fallout 4 however, it seems to have a distinct lack of good mods.

The problem with this kind of statement is that it's entirely subjective. What you really mean to say is that you find there is a distinct lack of mods that interest you. Out of the 14,582 (at present count) files available here, you really believe that there's an actual lack of quality free content?

For example, just because I have no desire to use any mods that feature the visuals of Shadman doesn't mean that (at least some of) those mods aren't actually good; it simply means I have no interest in using them.

Bear in mind that Fallout4 hasn't even been out a whole year yet (but has more mods available on Nexus already than Fallout3 has in total), the CK only arrived at the end of April, and F4SE is still being developed and having features implimented. Also worth noting that we've only fairly recently had the final dlc - some mod authors could have been waiting for that to arrive before beginning work on their magnum opus.

It hasn't been that long since the creation kit was released, I'm willing to give it more time for the more involved mods to come out. I've already seen some good projects in the works.

Also compared to what? Other TES/FO games it may not have as much steam but to any other game on the market it's still far more attractive to the the modding scene.

there are 2 commander mods. Wasteland commander and BOS commander. There are also some really good quest mods, companion mods and other fun stuff. As bmt12 said the creation kit hasn't been out very long and the people using that are just starting to publish now. It sounds to me like the OP just wants to put down fallout 4. The enclave commander mod is referenced in the description of the commander mods I mentioned so people have done exactly what you said they have not. My personal favorite mod Shadowed Power Armor has been out for some time now and with the BOS commander mod and Legendary crafting mod you can build a really fearsome squad to dominate the commonwealth. Booyah Ad Victorium come on you grunts do you want to live forever.

Oh this bad logic again. Most modders have been waiting for all of the dlc to release, mod tools that let modders do more (F4SE, F4Edit, etc etc) are still under-development and expanding and it takes a lot of time for mods to get made.

Most of the F04 mods available are "more of same", even if they are well done.

Most players demand for mods is satisfied with a few "standard" mods like Homemaker (if you like to build), Modern Firearms (if you like more weapons), some CBBE stuff (if you like to play Barbie&Ken) and small tweaks&fixes.

The other mods are nice to have, but not really necessary or overwhelming.

Interesting quest mods (except the few already available) or mods with really new gameplay elements are still missing.

Will they be released in the future? I hope so, but i'm not really sure about that.

Most of the F04 mods available are "more of same", even if they are well done.

Most players demand for mods is satisfied with a few "standard" mods like Homemaker (if you like to build), Modern Firearms (if you like more weapons), some CBBE stuff (if you like to play Barbie&Ken) and small tweaks&fixes.

The other mods are nice to have, but not really necessary or overwhelming.

Interesting quest mods (except the few already available) or mods with really new gameplay elements are still missing.

Will they be released in the future? I hope so, but i'm not really sure about that.

This post is an example of unfair standards and high expectations and in the same breath, belittles other mods in a "nice way".

"Most players" need to get off their ass and make their own mods instead of waiting for other people to do it.

/rant

Edit: Maybe YOU should consider that saying such things might discourage people from even bothering. Like me for instance. I almost feel like it's not worth it to finish what I'm doing, since it's not a big landmass mod with quests and s#*!.

Edited by EveningTide

@EveningTide

But that is reality, at least my reality as a modder of small "nice to have but not necessary" mods.

Players might use for example my new concrete window mod, but with a standard building mod like Homemaker and maybe Snap&Build and the Vanilla DLCs 99,9% of their needs are already covered. Actually not only covered but fo rmost of them already kind of overachived. (who really needs all those workshop pieces?)

I still have lots of ideas of what could be implemented (most of them workshop elements). But they don't need it, i don't need it (as i am already done with this game), why should i make those ideas into mods?

Maybe it might be discouraging, but if your mod is not really something new, most people are not really waiting for it.

Yes, they (we) are already spoiled with building-, weapon-, CBBE- and armour-stuff, so the expectations on new mods are very high.

Edited by cartman1975