Nexus for Skyrim Remasted Edition?

CharmicsMods

Nexus for Skyrim Remastered Edition  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should Skyrim Remasted get it's own Nexus?

• Yes, we need to keep track of which mods work on which version of the game.
    • No, it's not necessary and would ultimately be more complicated. (Tell us why!)

So Skyrim Remastered is coming out in about a month, which will be running on a new version of the Creation Engine. DX11 in all likelihood, too. Bethesda has promised us that all our (non-SKSE) mods will work... but you know, Bethesda. Concerning SKSE, the Silverlock guys are going have to work their magic and make a new script extender (SRSE?) for us all, which won't necessarily work with SKSE-based mods. Mods that use SKSE today are probably going to have to undergo a lot of work in order to get them working on the Remastered edition, and there's no guarantee that non-SKSE mods will work correctly either.

A lot of people who still play Skyrim might never even try modding Remastered, but certainly we can expect plenty people will. The Skyrim Nexus is very well organized and easy to use, but if we (modders) try to support Remastered edition mods on the same Nexus, I imagine things will get very messy very quickly, and modding Skyrim will become a lot harder, trying to keep track of which mods work on which versions of Skyrim. People who don't want to mod the Remastered Edition and would like to stick with the original game would also have to deal with the mess. Giving the Remasted edition it's own Nexus would solve that problem as well.

There was a somewhat similar circumstance with Oblivion and it's GotY Edition, but that was not as big a change as this is now, and Oblivion's Nexus is much smaller than Skyrim's. While this decision would benefit from hindsight, it should also be made well before Skyrim Remasted Edition comes out.

TD;DR: I think it would be best for Skyrim Remastered to get it's own Nexus.

...but that's just my thoughts. I haven't heard anything else about this yet, (the only thing i saw was people asking if mods would work - we know now that many won't and that others might) so I thought it would be a good idea to discuss it, at least a bit, beforehand. If I am under/mis-informed, let me know!

What do you think?

Edited by ColdHarmonics

I am sure there will be a separate mod page. Going from 32 bit to 64 bit, plus the other changes I been reading about.

I expect 3/4 of the mods I have will not work with the remastered edition.

My thoughts, too. The only downside I can see, is that 1/4th will probably remain on the original Skyrim Nexus, and people will have to visit two nexuses to get their mods.

I think the best method would be a "Compatible with Skyrim Special Edition" tag, and maybe "Exclusive for Skyrim Special Edition" if certain mods are only compatible with it (essentially the same as requiring the special edition, so that's another way to handle the exclusive ones). As you say, people would have to go through two nexuses and that's confusing.

A tag is imo perfect for this. The mods that are made to be compatible will be tagged by the author and as mods are tested users or author will tag already existing mods and the users of the special edition can quickly filter for compatible mods. Is the same the nexus has done with enderal so i believe that's what they will do now.

The SKSE team & Modder's only Support the latest version.....Jusst Sayyyin'' :yes:

So a New Page for Updated Mods and those that are Confirm to Work... :blush:

And of course a Old Page for legacy unsupported mods..... o_O

Time & the Dark One will decide, to be sure, to be sure.... it a % Thingy :whistling:

Or just use Tags ->(Skyrim)(Skyrim + Skyrim SE)(Skyrim SE) ...Jusst Saayyin'

My Head Hurts................

I think the best method would be a "Compatible with Skyrim Special Edition" tag, and maybe "Exclusive for Skyrim Special Edition" ...

I disagree. My reasoning is that there will be lots of mods that will be coming out for Remasted edition, and lots of mods that will work with special edition but are no longer supported. Tags are underused as it is, trying to get everyone to tag them wouldn't work very well, and we can't blacklist tags in search results. Most of the stuff on the Nexus is essentially final version, no more support, and that won't change. A lot of them simply will never work on Remastered and a lot of them probably will.

On top of that, versions in a mod's downloads section can already get really complicated with some mods. That would get a lot worse with Remasted Edition versions too. Fomods are great but they can't resolve this, especially when lots of mods are simply too big to expect people to have to download all the versions of before deciding which version they want.

Tags aren't the worst solution but I think that a new page is easily a lot better. It will be a little bit of trouble to navigate across both pages if you're someone who mods the Remastered edition, but at least you'll know what you're getting into. People uncomfortable with that can stay on one Nexus exclusively and have zero concern over which version of Skyrim the mods they're looking at are for.

In the case that we try to support both mods on one site, everyone, regardless of their interest, would have to worry about making sure the mods in question are correctly labeled for the versions they support. That's a huge burden to put on Mod Creators, and the countless users who wouldn't know any better would flood the forums demanding to know why their mods didn't work. This would not settle down after a while, considering how many new, inexperienced modders we get even today. It would be a nightmare.

The SKSE team & Modder's only Support the latest version.....Jusst Sayyyin''

I don't think it will be considered an "update" considering how much it changes, and how many mods it will inevitably break. This isn't Skyrim 2.0, It's (basically) a new game. It runs on a different engine and wouldn't work with SKSE. Hence my argument for a new Nexus.

I wanna be clear I'm not trying to shoot anyone down, I just want to have a rational discourse on this topic. If you've more to say, please say it! :smile:

Edited by ColdHarmonics

Of course we can agree to disagree but let me expand it a bit more.

trying to get everyone to tag them wouldn't work very well

True but neither would testing the mods for compatibility, tagged = tested by 3 or more users or by the author.

If we had a new page how would you know if a mod in normal skyrim nexus works with special? you'd need people to comment it or the author, which would essentially be the same as tagging it but not as "clean".

Tags are underused? maybe but that's a reason to not use them and instead do something more complicated? Tags are powerful for filtering mods.

versions in a mod's downloads section can already get really complicated with some mods

If an author makes a version for special they simply tag the mod as compatible (since it has a compatible version) and properly inform on the description and such. Or do a separate upload within normal nexus tagged as compatible and link it in the normal edition page for example.

Then, another problems comes with special-exclusive mods, people with normal could find them, don't look at the tags and boom! issues. Solution? make those mods REQUIRE special edition just like some mods require DLCs.

You CAN actually blacklist tags in the nexus (You simply go to your user are and you have block tags or in the advanced search you look for "Filter more content using tag blocking" above tags that is a link to that) But you wouldn't want to blacklist compatible with special mods since doesn't mean special-exclusive. That's where the requirement tag and/or the custom category come. There are requirement tags for dlcs too which you can blacklist if you don't plan to buy them, same thing with special.

So, what i think is best is:

- Mod compatible with both special and normal (wether it was made for one or the other originally doesn't really matter) => tagged as compatible

- Mod incompatible or not tested to be compatible with special (which is essentially the same) => non tagged

- Mod that requires special to function (if such thing will exist), in other words, special-exclusive => double tagged as both compatible and requirement and maybe under a custom category.

Look at enderal, in terms of compatibility is very similar to what skyrim special edition will be. Some (most? the simple ones? do we actually have enough information to speculate about compatibility?) mods made for normal skyrim will be compatible with special and probably viceversa, other mods will only work with special or not be compatible with special. The exact same thing happens with enderal, some mods work with both, others are specific enderal and others not compatible with it.

And how has the nexus handled it? two things: compatible tag and custom category with subcategories (within the same nexus).

The custom category is a great way to handle the special-exclusive mods, since you can jump into that category and go through mods made for it. BUT doesn't show mods that while they were not made for enderal work well with it. The same would happen with the special edition.

There is no enderal requirement tag, some enderal mods have enderal under it's requirement but that's something the author has to decide to do. Something more integrated like the dlcs would be better imo.

Overall i think the tags are more powerful, specially because it can be edited by users which is important for abandoned or not actively supported mods. But a combination of compatibility tag, easy-to-add requirement like the dlcs with tag and a custom category would give more options to mod authors and users and covers all the posible compatibility stages without much confusion, unlike, in my opinion, a whole new nexus would.

Edited some stuff to make my point clearer.

I see where you're coming from, but Enderal is so much smaller and less significant than Skyrim Remastered Edition that the exact same arguments can't be made for it. On top of that, anyone who's got Enderal installed knows what they're getting into. I can easily see having both the new nexus and tags on the original one, but I still worry about the many people who will be modding after Remastered comes out and do not use the tagging features. Blocking tags in your user area is a lot less convenient than blocking them "per-search".

Tags are still very underused. I agree that ideally tags (and "Remastered Edition" as a requirement) would be enough, but I do not think it will be. According to steam there's over 20,000 people playing Skyrim PC right now. That number will be a lot higher when Remastered edition comes out, and with console modding support, most everyone will be modding. A lot of people will come to the nexus to mod, but you know how people are. Having them rely on tags is unrealistic.

Having seperate Nexuses would reduce complexity to separate mods for both versions by drawing a clear line between them. It may be less convenient, but it's not as complex as what you're proposing, and would not buckle under the weight of thousands of new modders.

I like your ideas, but I just don't see it working out.

I Just found this:

Paul: Do you want to go with some… So the first one was from Thalassa. And she said with the games like Skyrim special edition and with the massive mods such as Enderal, do you see the new Nexus putting their own pages on that? So sections specifically for Enderal and sections specifically for Skyrim, the special edition.

Robin: So, it’s a complicated matter. Same for Enderal as it is for the Skyrim, enhanced edition, or whatever they’re flipping calling it, that a lot of the mods for the current Skyrim mods on the site - 40,000 of them or so - are gonna work with the extended edition just like they do with Enderal, and some of them aren’t. And so it’s one of those things where I think we’re gonna have to play it by ear. And naturally Bethesda aren’t going to have to give us a heads up because of the unique way in which Bethesda handle their public relations which is, f***ing s***. And…so…right now, ideally we’d like to just have it as a separate category. But if it turns out that more than ten percent of mods are not compatible – is that the right way around? I want ninety percent of the mods from original Skyrim to be compatible – so do the math. If it turns out that a lot of the mods basically aren’t compatible with the extended edition, then we will have to make a separate game for it. Having said that, it’s just playing it by ear, and we’ll just keep you posted the closer we get. But I think basically we know as much as you do on that one, because Bethesda…and yeah, we’ll keep you posted. Not that Thalassa is listening.

Which is great, either way.

Chances are more like 50% or fewer mods will work on Remastered, soo.... but yeah, great to know they're thinking on it.

(it was literally the first question on the AMA - I'd forgotten about it.)

Edited by ColdHarmonics