BGSM's or lack of them.

AGreatWeight

Hi everyone, I've spent way too long banging my head against a brick wall regarding this, so I'm asking for a little help.

I'm attempting to add some custom holotapes to go with my mod, and add them into the game as objects in the game world for the player to discover/collect. I have a custom retexture ready (that took way too long to make)

I've read up as much as I can find regarding doing this, and had a few people briefly explain how to, but can't find the vanilla .bgsm file for the holotapes anywhere, and am left a bit stumped at how to proceed.

Do I even actually need to use a .bgsm to reference the texture, seeing as the vanilla game doesn't appear to use one?

It's left me a little confused, and admittedly a little disheartened. If someone would be so kind as to provide me some helpful info regarding making the custom holotapes an object in the game, I'd be very grateful.

edit: just to clarify, there's no .bgsm file for the holotapes in the ba2 archive that I extracted.

Edited by AGreatWeight

It doesn't have one so it uses the texture paths in the .nif.

do this,

use the material editor to create a new custom .bgsm with the file paths for your new textures, all you need is defused and normal

extract the meshes.ba2 and look for Meshes/Props/Holotape_Prop.nif

Open it in nifscope,

select and open the BSTriShape

You'll see BSLighingShaderProperty with a value of Txt (3)

in the block details window you'll see name and value in the list below look for name. (it's the second down from the top)

click the value Txt (Not the (3) the Txt)

you'll get a new window, This is where you enter your new .bgsm file path so "Materials/MyMOD Materials/Props/MyCustomHolotape.bgsm"

click ok

Save as and place in your mods directory

Rinse and repeat until you have all of the holotapes you need.

Hope that helps.

I use this it works like a champ Material Editor

Just a little info - there's no need to extract the "Fallout 4 - Meshes.ba2" manually.

You can grab the latest NifSkope from GitHub and use the "Archive Browser" tab it comes with to browse all NIF files, edit them and save them as loose files.

Thank you so much for responding guys, this really helps me out (and means my head is less sore)

Already have material editor but wasn't sure how to proceed with things, and only got as far as being able to preview (by adding it to the .nif) how the retexture looked on the mesh in Nifskope - useful, as I found that I had some issues that needed fixing up

Didn't realize that the newest version of Nifskope had an 'archive browser' tab - that'll really come in handy. I guess this means that I can delete the Meshes.ba2 archive that I made and free up some space on my drive?

One step closer... I appreciate the assistance. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question if anyone would oblige me. I create a custom .bgsm, following Chucksteel's advice above and adding it the BSLightingShaderProperty.

After I've done this, is the texture supposed to appear on the mesh in the preview pane? It's just I'm only seeing the blank mesh, and don't know if this is normal behaviour for nifskope, or if it's indicative of something going wrong?

I tried adding my custom texture paths to Textures in BSShaderTextureSet my custom texture is visible in the preview pane although only when I add the diffuse file path. When I also add the normal file path the texture disappears, as does the mesh. Is that meant to happen?