Pre-built settlement builder

GuymanBot

So this is a mod that I actually had an idea for ever since Fallout 4 came out. Not everyone likes the building mechanic in this game, so what if there was a mod that makes your settlements look good without you wasting HOURS of your time? Basically I was thinking that depending on certain settlement prerequisites, a person would come saying something along the lines of "This place looks like it's seen better days, want me to make it look livable?" And you would pay him a reasonable amount of caps, supplies, and whatever else a dude needs to rebuild a settlement, and BAM! Sanctuary looks good, and you didn't need to scream about alignment issues ONCE. Of course their would probably have to be certain requirements before the guy shows up. If with the Minutemen, you would have to do the respective quests for that settlement. And for abandoned settlements like Spectacle Island, I would imagine just clearing the area out would trigger him to come. And the Settlements would range from looking like a standard livable area to a full on place that people would want to live in. It all ranges how much you are willing to pay the guy. It could also have different themes depending on what Faction you are aligned with. What do you guys think of this idea? I have thought about it for a while now, and sadly lack the abilities to do it myself. Maybe one day I can see something like this come into fruition.

In hopes that this idea does not get lost to the annals of history. I am not sure how far the script extender has gotten for this to be possible. I would imagine after you pay him, it would fade to black and after a few seconds, the settlement would be made. I also think that for settlements like The Castle, you would probably have to finish the quest that relates to it.

You would need to setup some kind of script to add every reference that is linked to the workshop to a formlist and store it's location, rotation... I'm not a good enough modder to do that just yet or understand all of it. But then you'd need a script that rebuilds those objects in your settlement using the list.

It is an interesting idea! :D

Seriously, I've had the same Idea since the first week of Release XD

I remembered the ability to "build" a small House in Morrowind (next to Balmora I think it was -> for House of Hlaalu) which seemed to be prebuilt in worldspace and was only activated via the small questline.

First time I thought about it was the Worldspace Change at the Quarry next to Sanctuary/Concord with the "Waterpump Thingy"

This Approach would ofc alter worldspace in Settlement Areas and I assume this could cause massive.... Errors.

The Approach mentioned with use of a Script would avoid that, due to the nature of being vanilla Workshop Items, arranged automatically via this script seems to me more safe, but would be very, very hard to achieve. As already sayed -> EVERY single Object has to be placed with x, y, z, rotations on x, y, z, and scaling with the script which would make the file.... HUGE and thus unstable I guess.

Not to mention the "on the fly" objects like Radio Beacon and ofc Power lines, which could be placed by the Player afterwards to avoid issues.

So, the Approach with the CK-premade-World altering method would be the most powerful, and best looking solution, also in Terms of Troubleshooting, but I don't know how much a completely premade Settlement, disabled (invisible) in the Background would alter the FPS in those Areas?!

Next would be: how should they look like? All more or less "neutral" in Terms of the "Theme" or more specific? Would it be possible to add more than 1 premade Settlements into the Background? Like: 1 MM-Style, one BoS-Style, one RR-Style, etc.

To be honest: I LOVE THE IDEA, but not sure if it would be possible as a MOD (*.esp) or (due to the nature of altering massive amounts of Worldspace) it HAS to be made by Bethesda themself - maybe as DLC?!

Edit: with the CK you even wouldn't have Pathfinding Issues, due to the fact, you could create the Navmesh directly how it should be without issues

Edit2: As addition an "Animation Marker" such as the tedious hammering one in sanctuarry as selectable item for settlers to assign them to ... so the Illusion/Immersion of "someone is actually really repairing/buildg on the Settlement" till it's finnished. Eventually on differents "steps/Tiers" till fully upgraded

Edited by Nilus123

I am sure as far as themes go, you would probably just get them automatically. Mainly due with how the game handles reputation, and how you don't make enemy's out of anyone until doing ONE certain quest. Especially with the limited dialogue options. I would imagine to be tricky. And as far as Bethesda doing something about it, I am suprised they did not think about this from the get go. I have noticed that with each game they make, they just REALLY want you to check out the new feature they made. Oblivion had the physics engine, Skyrim had an "Unlimited" quest system, Fallout 4 had Wasteland defense for babies. And if it weren't for the fact that Bethesda is done with Fallout 4 so they could make something they enjoy working with, that hope of a DLC is thin. I can just hope that in a year or two times someone will be able to pass by everything we talked about, and people that don't want to build will have an alternative to having a nice looking Sanctuary.