Patch 1.3 vs uGridsToLoad

Zehryo

Here is a crazy idea, revert back to 1.1 and try changing U-Grids and then update again (or stay at 1.1) personally I love patch 1.3 increased fps by 10-15 fps on my dual core cpu.

Revert back to 1.1 Guide:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2263471

You don't have to revert back to an earlier patch. I've done this twice now where I thought I lost my now 100+ hours of game play. The key is the refini once you get a working save successfully loaded, I guess that's the only way to get your save file to recognize the ugridstoload change.

Hey man I think I got the solution.

First: I assume you already did the whole setini "ugridstoload:general" 5 blah blah.... that f*#@s s*** up.

If you can load a previous save before the current save that got messed up, then this is what you do:

Open a working save game - open the console

alt tab and open your skyrim.ini in your mygames/skyrim

change to these settings:

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

uGridsToLoad=5

save file

go back in to your game and in the console type: refini

close console

save game

quit

load

This should revert you back to uGridsToLoad of 5

A side note... I would not wish uGridsToLoad on my worst of enemies. Avoid this monstrosity! (although it does make the game look nice, but I prefer actually playing instead of trying to fix this s***!)

Another side note... could this work in reverse? To make uGridsToLoad values higher? I'm curious, but I refuse to try myself :)

Thanks a lot!!!!

I dont know if your solution will work, because I've always had problems on Alt+Tabbing and back when I play Skyrim. But the whole thing makes sense!!!

I'll try asap and let you know!!! Thanks again!!!

My side note: Yes, if you wanna tweak uGridsToLoad upwards you can, it will work for sure. The problem is going back to lower values, that's why we needed that set/save/refreshini thing.....

The first time I tweaked this value was to see how beautiful the game could look. Then I decided to revert to a more playable value. If your system is tough enough, I suggest you to try setting it to 7, it greatly solve that awful "popping-in high detail landscapes horror show" that you get with 5.

Edited by Zehryo

[sOLUTION]

YES!!!!!! It works!!!!!

Thanks a lot Solymer89!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here the full solution step by step:

-. Open the configuration panel from the standard Skyrim launcher, the cool borderless splash screen one (not the 4GB launcher!!)

-. Configuration

-. Flag the window mode option and select whatever resolution you prefer, just go for one that's smaller than your screen

-. Start the game, now windowed

-. Alt+Tab to be able to move your cursor out of the game window and open the Skyrim.ini file you can find in the "MyDocuments\My Games\Skyrim\" folder

-. Change the "uGridsToLoad" and "uExterior Cell Buffer" values to the lower ones you need and SAVE

-. Click inside the game window to get back in control of the game cursor and open the console (press the "~" button, the one below "Esc")

-. Type refreshini and hit Enter

-. Now make a new savegame, even a quick one

-. Exit the game

-. Now you can run Skyrim again with the fullscreen resolution, the latest save file will work at the lower uGridsToLoad value!!!

Tadaaaa!!!!

Thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks Solymer89!!!! XD

[sOLUTION]

YES!!!!!! It works!!!!!

Thanks a lot Solymer89!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here the full solution step by step:

-. Open the configuration panel from the standard Skyrim launcher, the cool borderless splash screen one (not the 4GB launcher!!)

-. Configuration

-. Flag the window mode option and select whatever resolution you prefer, just go for one that's smaller than your screen

-. Start the game, now windowed

-. Alt+Tab to be able to move your cursor out of the game window and open the Skyrim.ini file you can find in the "MyDocuments\My Games\Skyrim\" folder

-. Change the "uGridsToLoad" and "uExterior Cell Buffer" values to the lower ones you need and SAVE

-. Click inside the game window to get back in control of the game cursor and open the console (press the "~" button, the one below "Esc")

-. Type refreshini and hit Enter

-. Now make a new savegame, even a quick one

-. Exit the game

-. Now you can run Skyrim again with the fullscreen resolution, the latest save file will work at the lower uGridsToLoad value!!!

Tadaaaa!!!!

Thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks Solymer89!!!! XD

Not a problem man! I've poured at least 8-10 hours since about a week after release trying to fix my random CTD's only to eventually find out that if you changed the ugridstoload option, it creates game instabilities. My fault for not doing the proper research but I was on a mod/tweak frenzy a week in to the game! Live and learn I suppose lol.

Also I still suffer from the redish load screens. I've downloaded the blank load screen mod from skyrim nexus but it still bugs me. The previous fix was to delete your skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini and reload however it seems that this doesn't work anymore with 1.3. It's not a huge issue, just a minor annoyance and a reminder of my blunders lol.

Also, I am in more anticipation of the CK then before the actual game was released lol. It shall be glorious!

Edited by Solymer89

Similarly, I've had troubles and no joy with the above solution.

After 1.3 installed I started from scratch with my .ini files again. One of my last tweaks was to increase uGridsToLoad to 11, this ran stably for a little while, but once I got out into the mountains it became unstable.

I used the console method to set uGridsToLoad to 9, refreshed the ini, saved, exited. Checked the ini files to ensure they matched the console changes. On the next launch the game crashes instantly while loading.

I rolled back to the previous values in the ini and attempted to load again, but still it crashes. I've tried to get back to even older saves with the original uGridsToLoad settings I was using previously - no joy. This is a pity, given I had previously played around with these values after patch 1.2, had the same problem and successfully debugged it with the console set/refresh method.

The only save I can load is the auto save at the very beginning of the game before character creation. At this point even doing refreshini results in a CTD. I'm out of ideas... Looks like I'm going to have to give up on my current character 70 hrs in and start a new one. Lesson learned, I'll be making lots of backup saves in future before tweaking/modding.

Update:

Ok - my blunder was not deleting the Skyrim.ini in inside the "common\skyrim\data" folder. I can now load an older save with the uGridsToLoad=11

Edited by dr_kynes

It is very important for anybody with this problem to look for ANY INI FILE IN ANY SKYRIM FOLDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

That save ini function in the game will fill every ini file with unnecessary crap. I even had ini's for mods I use, and had to delete and redownload them.

It is very important for anybody with this problem to look for ANY INI FILE IN ANY SKYRIM FOLDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

That save ini function in the game will fill every ini file with unnecessary crap. I even had ini's for mods I use, and had to delete and redownload them.

This can't be emphasized enough. I got the reddish menus and all my saves crashed upon loading after trying reverting the ugridstoload, because the saveini wrote all of its settings in a mod ini file (in my case, DragonboneWeightReduction.ini).

If you can load a previous save before the current save that got messed up, then this is what you do:

Open a working save game - open the console

alt tab and open your skyrim.ini in your mygames/skyrim

change to these settings:

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

uGridsToLoad=5

save file

go back in to your game and in the console type: refini

close console

save game

quit

load

This should revert you back to uGridsToLoad of 5

This works man, kudos for figuring this out for Patch 1.3!

This can't be emphasized enough. I got the reddish menus and all my saves crashed upon loading after trying reverting the ugridstoload, because the saveini wrote all of its settings in a mod ini file (in my case, DragonboneWeightReduction.ini).

Yes, for mine it wrote the settings to RealisticWaterTextures.ini in the data folder.

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the deal here?

I deleted all my ini's after steam update to the 1.3.1 and stared a new game as the game wouldn't load any previous saves I had.

My previous saves had uGrids set to 9 and everthing was working fine and I could switch back and forth to any value I liked using the setini and refreshini method.

Now uGridsToLoad has no effect at all!

Doen't matter which tut I follow to set it back at 9 or whatever it crashes the game, I cannot alter it from 5.

I think the tweak is now broken and we are stuck with 5 till Bethesda fixes it!