Patch 1.3 vs uGridsToLoad

Zehryo

Had the same problem when i tried to revert to ugrids=5 from 7 with the same method that doesnt seem to work as of 1.3.10. Not only it didnt work, but my savegames with ugrid=7 werent loading even though in Skyrim.ini it was set to 7. Anyway, in my Data folder I found a random quite large .ini file (not named Skyrim.ini , some random filename same as the filename of one of the plugins I am using - with .ini extension ofc). This file had a line with ugrids=5, which seemed to overwrite the setting from Skyrim.ini. After I deleted this at least I could load my save games. Gave up on trying to revert to 5 and OCed my GPU instead :P

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't you wait and keep the savegame in reserve and see what happens when a new savegame comes out? Unless the savegame itself is corrupted It should be possible right? I realize that losing so many hours is incredible frustrating but does a new game have the same issues?

Yep, already tried, and starting the game over with un-tweaked/default values work fine. But the problem stays, 180+ hours is nothing I wanna trash because of a stupid patch.

I can still play with a tweaked value, but certain landscapes bring my FPS down a bit too much (27 sometimes) so I wanted to revert it back to the default.

So, please, if anybody has a solution.....

I was having a few issues, didn't realise I added an .ini file which changed my Ugrids to 9 at some point in the past, so I did the following

setini "ugridstoload:general" 5

saveini

refreshini

This with the 1.3.10.0 patch, and then none of my save games would load.

I had a backup of my .ini and save files, so I put them back on and the same thing, nothing was loading?

so I rebuilt the game cache thingy on steam, but still did not fix anything.

I did some hunting through the forums, none had a solution, I noticed a lot of people were saying the 1.3.10.0 patch had nulled the, (setini "ugridstoload:general" 5) reduction fix.

So I trawled though my backups and found I had a previous TESV.exe, version 1.1.21.0

I placed this in the game folder, loaded from the default steam icon, "SKSE complained of having the wrong version and quitting out".

this enabled me to load my old save games, and was also able to use the (setini "ugridstoload:general" 5) properly working now, then save a game and replace the 1.3.10.0 TESV.exe into the game folder.

FIXED now all back to normal, I can now continue playing from where I left off. "sigh of relief"

moral of this story don't mess with Ugrids

Admittedly a bit of a hack, but worked none the less.

[sOLUTION]

YES!!!!!! It works!!!!!

Thanks a lot Solymer89!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here the full solution step by step:

-. Open the configuration panel from the standard Skyrim launcher, the cool borderless splash screen one (not the 4GB launcher!!)

-. Configuration

-. Flag the window mode option and select whatever resolution you prefer, just go for one that's smaller than your screen

-. Start the game, now windowed

-. Alt+Tab to be able to move your cursor out of the game window and open the Skyrim.ini file you can find in the "MyDocuments\My Games\Skyrim\" folder

-. Change the "uGridsToLoad" and "uExterior Cell Buffer" values to the lower ones you need and SAVE

-. Click inside the game window to get back in control of the game cursor and open the console (press the "~" button, the one below "Esc")

-. Type refreshini and hit Enter

-. Now make a new savegame, even a quick one

-. Exit the game

-. Now you can run Skyrim again with the fullscreen resolution, the latest save file will work at the lower uGridsToLoad value!!!

Tadaaaa!!!!

Thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks Solymer89!!!! XD

Not a problem man! I've poured at least 8-10 hours since about a week after release trying to fix my random CTD's only to eventually find out that if you changed the ugridstoload option, it creates game instabilities. My fault for not doing the proper research but I was on a mod/tweak frenzy a week in to the game! Live and learn I suppose lol.

Also I still suffer from the redish load screens. I've downloaded the blank load screen mod from skyrim nexus but it still bugs me. The previous fix was to delete your skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini and reload however it seems that this doesn't work anymore with 1.3. It's not a huge issue, just a minor annoyance and a reminder of my blunders lol.

Also, I am in more anticipation of the CK then before the actual game was released lol. It shall be glorious!

If you still wan't to fix the redish load screens, I found a solution that worked for me here:-

Skyrim red tint loading screens & crashing - help!

[Edit] a better solution from WezEllison:- FPS background booster comments

"The reason for the red tint after reverting back to a lower UGridsToLoad is due to Skyrim creating a new .ini file in your Data folder, it will usually be the same as one of your mods names, an example would be :-"

UberSword.esp

UberSword.ini <-- This is generated after editing the UGridsToLoad & saving in-game.

Edited by Pintofata

I have just changed my Ugrid to 7 from 5 as exploring around whiterun was annoying pop up and z fighting...

My rig seems to be handling it quite well (i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz 2 x GTX 460 oc)

I am worried tho but what some have said on here, what do you mean by 'unstable' is that low framerate or crashing?

I have only been playing Skyrim since 1.3 came out... bottom line, am I okay to keep playing with ugrid set to 7?

I have had no CTD since I have been playing (12 hours or so) Only a couple of graphical glitches

Edited by n17dizzi

I have this problem Logo Redish and screenloads how fix?

The post above has the solution, I used the 1st one, fixed mine took a while to reload the game through steam though. It's the last post by "BioZeke"

http://www.overclock.net/t/1183124/skyrim-red-tint-loading-screens-crashing-help

The second solution was brought to my attention after I fixed the Red Tint problem, so I haven't personally tested it, but it's pretty self explanatory and should be quicker.

good luck, & don't forget to back everything up

I have just changed my Ugrid to 7 from 5 as exploring around whiterun was annoying pop up and z fighting...

I am worried tho but what some have said on here, what do you mean by 'unstable' is that low framerate or crashing?

I have only been playing Skyrim since 1.3 came out... bottom line, am I okay to keep playing with ugrid set to 7?

I have had no CTD since I have been playing (12 hours or so) Only a couple of graphical glitches

I was having regular CTD's outside of places like Windhelm and Riften, can't say It had much of an fps impact with ugrids set at 9 on mine, I was down about 5-8 fps on average outside, but made my game very unstable when using some high graphics mods.

Problem with Ugrids is they become part of any new save games, so if your using ugrids set to 7 you won't be able to load up any games set at 7 if you decide to reset ugrids to 5 again but you can go higher say 11 or 13 if your mad, but never backwards without doing one of the ugrid downgrade solutions, which then gives you the red tint problem on load screens

personally I won't be touching them again, the amount of trouble I had isn't worth it when things go wrong.

If yours is running fine all the better, but remember it's a bit of a pain to undo

Edited by Pintofata

I was having regular CTD's outside of places like Windhelm and Riften, can't say It had much of an fps impact with ugrids set at 9 on mine, I was down about 5-8 fps on average outside, but made my game very unstable when using some high graphics mods.

Problem with Ugrids is they become part of any new save games, so if your using ugrids set to 7 you won't be able to load up any games set at 7 if you decide to reset ugrids to 5 again but you can go higher say 11 or 13 if your mad, but never backwards without doing one of the ugrid downgrade solutions, which then gives you the red tint problem on load screens

personally I won't be touching them again, the amount of trouble I had isn't worth it when things go wrong.

If yours is running fine all the better, but remember it's a bit of a pain to undo

I heed the warning, 5 septims for you.

A red tint would really annoy me. From what I have read, 7 is the most sensible setting in terms of performance and I am not planning to run any big mods until I have had 1 play through

Thanks again

which then gives you the red tint problem on load screens

no it's not. "saveini" simply creates a .ini-file in skyrim's data-folder. unless you have some weird mod installed, it's going to be the only ini-file in there. just remove it (or rename it to something else if you wanna be save) and the tint is gone.

now what's such a pain about renaming a file? if that's a pain to you, i wonder why you would deal with tweaking settings or modding at all.