Patch 1.3 vs uGridsToLoad

Zehryo

Hey man I think I got the solution.

First: I assume you already did the whole setini "ugridstoload:general" 5 blah blah.... that f*#@s s*** up.

If you can load a previous save before the current save that got messed up, then this is what you do:

Open a working save game - open the console

alt tab and open your skyrim.ini in your mygames/skyrim

change to these settings:

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

uGridsToLoad=5

save file

go back in to your game and in the console type: refini

close console

save game

quit

load

This should revert you back to uGridsToLoad of 5

A side note... I would not wish uGridsToLoad on my worst of enemies. Avoid this monstrosity! (although it does make the game look nice, but I prefer actually playing instead of trying to fix this s***!)

Another side note... could this work in reverse? To make uGridsToLoad values higher? I'm curious, but I refuse to try myself :)

Yessir, this is INDEED the solution!

I had the same issue as the OP (minus the mysterious appearance of an edited ini file in my Data folder .. or anywhere else on my box). I had the reddish models and CTD on ALL savegames. I even restored all of my game-related files from backup with no luck at all getting rid of the insideous effects of 'setini "ugridstoload:general" 5' yada, yada. I would up reinstalling Steam and Skyrim to get back to a normal game intit. Then I applied your trick on my last save in vanilla base (had to alt tab a couple of times before my game came back into proper focus to allow console commands), and voila! I had a vanilla save of my most recent game with uGridsToLoad set to 5 in my ini. I reloaded that save to confirm and then attempted to load my modded last save (original) and it crashed just as expected.

Thanks for the post dude, you saved me a couple of hours of repeat play time (NM the hours it took me to reconfig everything!).

• 1 month later...

Hey man I think I got the solution.

First: I assume you already did the whole setini "ugridstoload:general" 5 blah blah.... that f*#@s s*** up.

If you can load a previous save before the current save that got messed up, then this is what you do:

Open a working save game - open the console

alt tab and open your skyrim.ini in your mygames/skyrim

change to these settings:

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

uGridsToLoad=5

save file

go back in to your game and in the console type: refini

close console

save game

quit

load

This should revert you back to uGridsToLoad of 5

A side note... I would not wish uGridsToLoad on my worst of enemies. Avoid this monstrosity! (although it does make the game look nice, but I prefer actually playing instead of trying to fix this s***!)

Another side note... could this work in reverse? To make uGridsToLoad values higher? I'm curious, but I refuse to try myself :)

It does work, thank you! kodus

• 1 month later...

I had to agree with the logic of 5h4d0w. It works to find that file.

I too tried the nvidia guide method(saveini), which screwed up my game after going from ugrids 7 to 5. Got the red loading screen and crashes even after returning backed up .ini .

** However a quick search of files modified by date showed ONE .ini file added/changed in the game data folder during that time. I deleted it and everything back to normal with ugrids 7. So only that deletion and the return of the backed up ini files is needed to put skyrim back to where it was before the attempted change in ugrids. And I'm using over 150 mods.

Not sure if I will go to 5 now- but at least I know the correct way to do it (stupid obsolete nvidia guide...). Just wanted to test it to see if stuff like Warzones and a ton of other crap would play flawlessly on 5. It's ok on 7 but crashes occasionally.

Many thanks to this thread for cluing me in to how to solve this!

• 5 months later...

Ey yo!! The solution for the red tint posted worked for me too :)

What really worked for me was looking into my Data folder, and I found that my Birds of Skyrim mod had a .ini called "BirdsofSkyrim.ini". That was odd. I looked inside it was a bunch of player save data crap.

Deleted it, and the red tint is gone!!

Savegame solution worked great too. Thanks for the help

Edited by Andross2000

• 3 months later...
Just out of curiosity is still happening or has Bethesda fixed it? I want to try ugrids 7 again with a new rig, but want to be sure I can recover. I ran a test of the process and I seem to have recovered properly, but I have NO strange .ini files saved anywhere that I can find... I'm on version 1.8.151 or something like that (latest version as of Jan 2013). Edited by Mr_SpongeWorthy

Just out of curiosity is still happening or has Bethesda fixed it? I want to try ugrids 7 again with a new rig, but want to be sure I can recover. I ran a test of the process and I seem to have recovered properly, but I have NO strange .ini files saved anywhere that I can find... I'm on version 1.8.151 or something like that (latest version as of Jan 2013).

Some folks have no trouble with it. (me, for instance....) Others, well.. aren't so lucky. There IS a process for reverting back, and saving your saves..... it's around here somewhere, should you require it.

Which process are you referring to, the original one with saveini, or the one solymer posted (manually edit ini file and just refreshini)?

It's the saveini command that saves the generated settings to an ini file in your data folder (name matches the last enabled mod in your load order).

• 10 months later...

I have this problem too tweaked to 7, played fine till i went to solsthiem. CTD every time i wander outside Raven rock so decided to follow Nvidia's guide to revert back. here is the difference:

There is no Skyrim.ini in the data folder even though i ended up with the same issues (red tint, crashing the second i hit Load on any saves). also tweaking my ini file back to what it was still makes it crash so now i'm screwed because i can'T even do the alt-tab method

Edited by ngmtwitch