Drive-In Movies across the commonwealth!

ctadpole69

How cool would it be to have working movies for your settlers in Starlight Drive-in? My idea stems from Eden Meadows Cinemas and how there are working projectors with intro movies playing. However, I always thought that the intro was boring and too short. I know that with Nuka World they have animated video clips that are used on the displays for the machines so it is possible to import videos of some kind into the game.

I would love to create a quest that has you go out and search for holodisks that hold movies on them that can then be put into a projector that you build and then played at say Starlight Drive-In or wherever you want. I'm not sure if Eden Meadows is the actual screen itself that changes or perhaps an invisible texture with the video on it that is displayed directly in front of the wall, or if it is actually the projector itself doing all the work somehow as I have not tried my hand at modding at all for this game and have no idea where to even start.

I know there are many public domain movies that could be used, and they don't even need to be very long, 20-30 minutes or longer if the filesize doesn't change much (I'm assuming they maybe import these videos as flash files? but I'm not sure) and they can be recolored to have less colors (technicolor style) or black and white to fit the genre.

The quest would have you meet up with someone who knows about how to get the video systems up and running and has tracked down a collection of holodisks with old videos on them across the commonwealth and he sends you to find them. They can be hidden in obvious locations like Hubris Comics, but they can also be hidden in random factories and office buildings in people's desks or lunchboxes like they were taking them to work to let a friend borrow or something. Each movie will have its own holodisk.

I would love to tackle this project myself but as I said, I haven't modded ANYTHING in this game and feel pretty overwhelmed about using the G.E.C.K. (I tried to just replace a texture for something and it was greek to me) so I'm totally fine with someone taking this idea for themself and running with it. If not, point me in a good direction to get started!

Let me know if you have any other ideas or comments below.

Videos of the Wasteland mod has an additional module that allows video to be played at the Starlight Drive-In. The mod author Razorwire has a tutorial on his youtube page (read VotW description page for link) that shows you how to make your own holotapes that can played either on settlement TVs or at the Starlight Drive-In, depending on how you configure them (Starlight Drive-In are obviously larger files)

The holotapes 'work' by playing a series of .dds files in the manner of a flipbook. You'll understand better once you watch the tutorials.

It's not difficult if you follow his instructions to the letter. However, there is a limitation imposed that means that each holotape can be no longer than 6 minutes 49 seconds and 6 milliseconds. So for any content larger than that, you'll have to split the video up across several individual holotapes. If what you want to add to the game is longer than 52 minutes, then you'll have to spread it out over a couple of sets (a set is comprised of 8 holotapes)