Random travelling buddies idea

patrickmurphy

Everyone needs to travel, including npcs. Why not converse with these npcs and determine if they'd be a good partner on the road, or a sneaky backhanded theif waiting for you to fall asleep?

Imagine getting ready to start you're journey from Whiterun up to Winterhold, using Frostfall and Ineed you're going to have a tough cold road ahead, and you get to talking to a few friendly looking people camping next to you, and it turns out you're headed the same way, so you decide to group up. Can you really trust these people? Will they help you with food and shelter when you're on your last leg or will they apologize and continue on their journey while you die freezing? Or maybe the bandits you just ran into were planned all along by the people you've befriended, waiting to turn swords on you. Was that turn through the cave or down the mountain they suggested really a shortcut or a trap?

It's a game of mystery and judgement calls, can you sleep or should you keep one eye open? You hope it's beneficial being friendly but you're never sure.

Or maybe you meet up with a traveler you've known for many travels and can be sure he'll have you're back, and feel comfortable helping him when he comes to you for help, though that's more of a relationship overhaul than just travelling.

I've been thinking about ideas very very similar to this for a few months: first as a one-off quest, but then second as one part of a suite of random encounter quests that are tied to Frostfall. I hope someone looks into this, but I certainly will once I'm finished working on my current project.

Edit: I just wanted to add on, that the difficulty of this project is mainly in writing decent (dialogue) scripts, getting decent voice actors, but also knowing the world of Skyrim and TES more broadly. I have to say that I've found that lore aspect (as relates to the writing) more of a stumbling block than I would have imagined, despite my clocking 500+ hours in the game. I wish there was a decent way to combine the efforts of those who are reasonably capable at scripting with those who know the world.

Edited by csbx