UPK Decompressor not working

Radryl

Hey guys. So, I am trying to learn how to hex edit UPK files, so I had been following the XCOM(EW) wiki about it. But when it says you need to get Xcomgame.upk and xcomstrategygame.upk decompressed with UPK decompressor, it isn't working for me. I slapped both of those files in the same folder with the decompresser.exe and literally nothing happened. What is going on with it? I even thought it could have decompressed the file anyway, but the format/size remained the same and I couldn't open it with EU explorer.

Does anyone know what is the issue with it? I tried to re-download the compressor twice already.

I've not used it, but from the absence of other comments over the years it would appear you just need to use the command line:

decompress.exe XComGame.UPK (or whichever file you are trying to decompress).

Logically the only other thing it might want would be an "output filename". Otherwise, have you tried the parameter " /?" or " /help" to see if it offers any syntax help?

BTW: Whenever anyone has something "unexpected" happen, one of the first questions I have learned to ask is "where do you have that installed?" Anything related to a game should NOT be under the "C:\Program Files" tree. This includes any tools related to games, because you run afoul of the system protections against mal-ware. It doesn't like ANY changes to any of those subfolders once an app is installed.

-Dubious-

...How do I even use this command line? Do you mean like renaming the exe file? Because whenever I open decompress.exe a black box opens for like a second or two before simply vanishing. And no, I didn't install any of the mod tools I intend to use on C at all, I have a folder with the modding tools on D/XCOM tools instead, so only the game is on C, but I copy-pasted the Xcomgame.upk/xcinstrategy into the decompressor folder to try to mod it away from the game folder until it is ready to be used.

Edited by Radryl

Wait...I think I got it, maybe. I opened the command line window and typed what you told me(While in the folder of the decompress+the upk) and received a response after the command. And a new folder popped in there named "unpacked" with Xcomgame.upk inside. Instead of being 3,7 kb, it went to 12,1kb, so I guess it worked?

The "black box" opening is the the "Command Prompt" window. It's closing because the command it is executing has completed (probably without parameters) and the default setting for the "Command Prompt" is to close when done. Depending upon how often you make use of it, it can be useful to spend some time configuring it to your personal taste.

There are seven different ways you can open a "command prompt" window, so I won't go into them here. The basics are readily available on the web. Just search on "command prompt". There are still things you can only do from the "command line", so it's not a waste of time to learn about it.

You can setup a "shortcut" link for "decompress.exe" with the parameters; or just open the command prompt, navigate to the folder with "decompress.exe", and then give it the command line you want. That way the windows will remain open until you close it.

-Dubious-

Yeah, I opened the command promt window with shift+right key and inserted the command you mentioned above. And did the same with the strategy upk, both generated folders named "unpacked" so I guess it worked, as said files are heavier now. Plus I can open them with UE explorer.