Vault 88 "Lingering Lights"

brandonfs

There is something annoying me at Vault 88. I was building my vault when I noticed that parts of it are being illuminated by invisible light sources, as you can see in the screenshots on the link below.

http://imgur.com/a/wGl40

I think fire barrels were on those places, I scrapped them but their lights are still there.

Is there a way to remove these lights from there? Idk, maybe deleting their references somehow...

Your best bet is using the Creation Kit if you play on PC. I haven't been to vault 88 yet, but I had this problem recently at The Slog. The workbench that is against the wall facing the pool near the little shack that houses Arlen Glass has a light like that. A light is normally part of the workbench object, but when I scrapped it there was still a light source. It seems like Bethesda added those extra lights to make more visual punch in the creation kit, but it is not welcome in settlements when you can delete stuff and move things around.

For example, in the CK you can make "Light boxes" that encompass a room so a light inside it (linked to it) won't bleed through the wall and reflect on the walls of the next room. That makes the static rooms and places that are uneditable by the player at runtime much more convincing but the settlement objects clearly are not as advanced for ease of use. Likewise there are "boxes" that change the acoustic model so entering a fixed unscrappable house changes the reverb of souds etc while there is no such thing for placed settlement objects.

My advice would be to take pictures and detail the places where you see this as much as possible, file a bug to UFO4P bugtracker so everyone can receive this minor bugfix. I'd do it myself on my end, but since I don't know where exactly your bug is as I haven't been to the Vault 88 I don't want to spoil myself in the CK and/or search a lot for it.

Have a nice!

Edit: While it won't fix your bug, I stumbled across this mod which seems to make the craftable lights in Vault 88 way better! It was kinda on the subject.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17174/?

Edited by TwilightOne

The lights in your screenshot are the ceiling lamps in that room. You can reach most of them from the roof of the fifth floor and scrap them. (or all of them on the PC using the console command tcl)

Lighting is a tricky thing in FO4. I have a 5 story vault built in 88 and I have 4 street lamps on the bottom floor and 6 on top of the roof of the 5th floor. The light bleeds through the floors and ceiling and completely lights up every floor of my vault.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL619/2455971/24737429/412824766.jpg

The problem is that using mods like Scrap Everything doesn't actually remove the light source itself, only the visible lamp part. Lights are created in the Creation Kit (usually) via packins which are actually a collection of several parts. The lamp part and then one or more light sources that are separate from the lamp are a collection. Even if the developers didn't use a packin in this particular case, the light sources and lamps are still separate parts. Scrap Everything can't highlight and scrap the light source part. So you can delete the lamps, fire barrels, hanging lightbulbs, wall lights etc. all you want and you're still stuck with the actual light source.

So unfortunately if you don't want to get into the CK yourself to disable (not delete) the light sources, you'll need to rely on a mod author such as the one I linked above to do it for you. To my knowledge there isn't a way to disable light sources without using the CK. Granted I could be wrong but I think Steve40 would've mentioned a way if there were.

The lights in his screen shots are scrap-able with out any mods. You only need to reach them.

Just because Bethesda made them scrappable with vanilla doesn't mean they remembered to include the light sources in the scrap recipes. :D I haven't actually opened up the CK to check on that, just speculating on that possibility.

Thanks for all the replies!

@TwilightOne I'll give CK a shot this weekend. About the mod you recommended, I'm already using it, thanks!

@MadeUpName92 It seems I can't scrap those spotlights, I tried building up to the 5th floor to try to reach them and also used 'tcl' command, but no luck. I'll try installing 'Scrap Everything' mod later this week to see it that works.

@MadeUpName92 It seems I can't scrap those spotlights, I tried building up to the 5th floor to try to reach them and also used 'tcl' command, but no luck. I'll try installing 'Scrap Everything' mod later this week to see it that works.

Scrap Everything will likely be able to scrap the spotlights but not the actual light sources as I explained earlier. Just be prepared for that. :)