Modding Armor to add Grappler property - issues

JDDysart

Hey -Dubious-

Would you know if the Nexus wiki has the #if: function? extension? available / implemented and enabled?

And if so - how do you get the wiki to evaluate (execute?) this #if: function? (as {{#if: test | present | absent}}, for me, is giving back then entire "{{...}}" line; not just "present" xor "absent"!)

Short version: No, it isn't available.

Longer version: I finally tracked down where to determine the version of the Mediawiki software in use: under the left-hand navigation bar "Special Pages" in a page called "Version". Assuming it is accurate:

Nexus is using a really old version: 1.16.0. The only extensions implemented are "YouTubeTag" and "ConfirmEdit". See the "Version" page for the (relatively short) list of implemented extension functions.

All the Mediawiki site Help pages are for version 1.18.0 or later. The latest "stable" release is 1.27 and the latest "long term support legacy" version is 1.23.15.

I'll send Dark0ne a message asking if they can update the software to a supported version.

-Dubious-

Thank you -Dubious- for the quick reply.

A couple of interesting "magic words" for use on a MediaWiki:

• {{SITENAME}}
    • evaluates to the current wiki-site-name (maybe "Nexus Wiki"?)
  • {{CURRENTVERSION}}
    • evaluates to the current wiki-version (something like "1.16.0"?)

These "magic words" work off of the template code - thus the "{{" and "}}" - but my current understanding is that they are pulling from some other "namespace" (i.e. NOT the "Template" namespace).

Interesting collection of links on that Special Pages.

I've added the Template:Tl page - for the Template-Link functionality; I made a few modifications to the recommended coding - using {{Tl}} without any piped parameters will give a clue to what parameters are expected (i.e. "pagename" and "show-name". Please feel free to advise on a better label to use in place of "show-name". Without the use of the #if: function, Template-link won't like it if someone tries using one or two pipes, where one or the other doesn't have something after it (before the closing "}}"); should work fine with only one pipe and a "Template" pagename, or that plus a second pipe followed by a "show-name". And Template-link is only meant to recognize (i.e. use) the first two anonymous parameters passed to it; and text-string-parameters shouldn't include unwanted padding spaces between the pipe(s) or between a pipe ("|") and the closing curly-brackets ("}}").

As there appears to be more than just XCOM on the Nexus Wiki (and as I did create a Category:Template page for the XCOM:EU 2012 templates), this brings up the question: "Is there any real need for another Category page - for all templates on the Nexus Wiki?"

I also noticed (from the Special Pages) that at least one someone has been looking for "template tools". Do you have any idea of what is meant by "template tools"?

Also left a couple of notes on the MediaWiki help pages about the documentation of Template:TL, Template:TLS, and Template:TL2.

About how their documentation needed some <nowiki> </nowiki> tags around critical parts - that apparently don't display properly when said tags are left off.

I've received a reply from Robin Scott (Dark0ne), the site owner that they will look into updating the wiki software. As with most things, I'm guessing it will probably depend upon cost, as well as staff availability. (I don't think they had been aware of how old the software is.) But it's in their queue now.

Re: the wiki namespace. The domain link for the wiki(s) is "wiki.nexusmods.com". Different games are essentially placed under their own "category", so "XCOM" is a category and "Oblivion" is another and "New_Vegas" is another. I know I have used "internal links" to different pages in other categories just by using the "<category_name>:<page_name>" syntax for pages in categories outside the current one, so I'm pretty sure it's all one namespace. The "Help:Editing" page is under XCOM (because I created it there), but is accessed (automatically, and again probably due to a template) from anywhere.

I just received a PM from "BlindJudge", the new "Content Director" admin, on another matter. You might ask him about your "Category:Template" page and where it belongs. I don't pretend to know all the various categories on the wiki at all. Same about "template tools".

If I haven't made it clear, it appears that the wiki has been the neglected step-child of the site. There hasn't really been any direction other than setting up the game Categories. After that it was up to the local community (and here that meant pretty much just me with occasional feedback) to decide how to organize things. Now that there is a "Content Director", perhaps that will change. We will have to see.

Re: "show-name". Perhaps "display-name" is more descriptive? More typical in documentation I believe.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent