Teeny Bops on Skyrim Nexus

clintmich

I don't mind suggestions or critiques to help make a mod better. Most users(if they've been on the Nexus for awhile) are very good at leaving very informative comments. It's the NEW users that have no clue how to go about doing this without pissing off either the mod author, or other users. They're Teeny Bops!!! Most likely from the ages of 12 to 16. They're social skills are severely underdeveloped,and the comment sections scream immaturity. They don't care about you, or the mod author. They don't care how many hours a mod author has put into creating a mod. And most of them could care less if they get banned. Because, once their banned, they can easily start another Nexus account with a different email,and hop right back on the trolling band wagon.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being polite is always the best thing. I won't fix a mod if some person seems to be forcing me.

Very true. It's amazing how much you can insult someone as long as you are polite about it. I have found that regardless of what somebody else does, the best practice is to just be overwhelmingly nice to them. And then tell them why they are wrong (or an idiot) as you are being nice to them. It shuts the troll up and it shuts other trolls down before they even post. The best part is that it starts an avalanche of other posters who follow suit, politely telling the troll off.

Edited by Zonzai

For some reason I feel like I remember that episode with MrDave, or at least one like it.

The one I recall was very frustrating because I could tell what MrDave was saying to do, and I found it helpful and enlightening and valuable, if it had been my mod I would have been very happy to have the advice, but I recall the advice was not taken in the spirit it was offered, and the uploader got very threatened and insulted and angry over it. I'm not sure I'm recalling the same situation because I do not have authority to impose posting restrictions. (Although I do have authority to recommend them and those recommendations are taken very seriously.)

I mention it because it's a scenario I've seen many times, even recently. In the recent situation the uploader asked my opinion, I just mentioned how helpful I thought the advice might be, and that the uploader had the right to take the advice or decline it graciously. In that situation the uploader decided to take the advice which made the mod (and the uploader) a brighter star, in my opinion.

It's best to simply ignore the trolls. What's polite about detracting from the mod by making the conversation all about the troll, rather than all about the mod?

Never troll a troll, even politely, lest you yourself become one.

Thanks for the word of warning, but showing someone why they are wrong (or being rude) in an overly kind, polite and intellegent manner is neither trolling nor feeding of trolls. Anyway, this is really off topic and we here being mature adults (and not trolls) are all capable of agreeing to disagree. Politely even. ;) And of course I mean no disrespect and always do my best to follow the rules of every forum. I have to admit that would probably try to interject the same sort of comment as you have if I were in the shoes of a moderator. Ignoring trolls is certainly avery good way to handle them.

I'm not sure the worst trolls are the kids. I mean it's true that some kids are disrespectful and all that but it's just a phase and most of them will probably grow out of it given time. It's all too easy to find some pretty immature grown ups on the internet.

Age may be a factor but I don't think it's the only factor. After all there are some pretty amazing teenagers who are very enthusiastic about games and don't express themselves like Beavis and Butthead.

I have to admit, not ALL the kids are trolls. But the majority of them are. And yes, you will find the occasional adult leaving an un-called for comment as well. Maybe I should have named this string New Blood on Skyrim Nexus. Instead of Teeny Bops on Skyrim Nexus. As the problem is most noticeable with the new users. but then again, most new users are the Teeny Bops.

I like the title of the thread, it's very retro. Reminds me of when my great grandmother used to talk about all the teeny boppers going down to the burger joint to share a shake and then go park along the road to her house at the make out spot. She seemed to be rather bitter over it. Maybe she was just jealous. God that was off topic.

Luckily my mods are small so I can handle the not-so-positive comments, of course all done with ZERO understanding of what it takes to actually build mods :) Whilst on rare occasions it'd be useful and necessary to report someone, I also think that by playing open slather on reports might be a bit hasty. What do I care if someone doesn't respect my mods, sure I love and take the praise, *laughs* and enjoy the feedback for new ideas ... but they are for ultimately made for me and my enjoyment of the game, I know what I like and what I want, so negative comments are ultimately irrelevant.

Besides, I have found this hidden place now and I am happy to be talking with the people who matter, even as a relative mod-newbie that I am, I feel so 'l33t' compared to all of those silly comments made, requests to do things that can't be done yet and for mods that I'm not interested in. Lol. For me, that's a much better ego stroking than constant praise ;)

What I have noticed is a fair bit of sarcasm and unrealistic expectations from non-modders to modders

Edited by punxdog

Suggestions for dealing with 'negative' feedback, As opposed to positive feedback intended to help.

1. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs043.gifThat just encourages them and could start a flame fest.

2. Never let them see you are upset, that also encourages them.

3. Click the report button.

4. Explain just why you think the comment is out of line.

5. Watch the fur fly when a moderator gets to them. :tongue: