Main menu freeze / MO / Can't figure out why

Braescher

My game just freezes on the main menu and I cannot understand why exactly. I am not even sure if this is a Mod Organizer problem or if the problem is on the actual plugins. I have played Skyrim with 200+ mods before and I know the "basics" of safe modding.

Currently whenever I start my game it freezes on the Skyrim logo at the main menu. It does not crash. It freezes. And the freeze is not the "absolute freeze OMG I need to ctrl+alt+del" type. The steam FPS counter keeps running and varying from 30 to 32 FPS, the Steam Overlays pops up correctly and even the new NVIDIA shadowplay/share message pops up and all the ENB messages display as usual. However the menu never appears, console does not work and I have to hit alt+F4.

Currently I have 213 plugins on my load order, and some of them are disabled because I let MO manage archives and some have merged .esp alternatives to reduce the load order size, so I am not over the plugin limit. I am using the lastest SKSE, ENB binaries, Mod Organizer (not MO2 Beta, the 1.3.11 from nexus), LOOT, Wrye Bash and TES5Edit.

I have installed all mods according to the instructions, cleaned all the dirty plugins LOOT told me to, created a Merged Patch following both Dirty Weasel's PCAPPvideo and Gamer Poets Merged Patch video, created a Bashed Patch also according to the procedures of those videos, reorganized the masters whenever Wrye Bash told that the masters were not in the correct order and my load order is the one suggested by the PCAPP FAQ.

A short time ago I have played Enderal with MO and the only issue I had was with SKSE plugins not loading correctly. I managed to find a workaround for it.

Then I decided to play modded Skyrim again. My first attemp to mod the game led to crashes after the initial loading screen, I reverted my Skyrim to vanilla, backed up my mods, and unninstalled Skyrim and MO. Downloaded Skyrim again, installed MO, went to the whole process again with an extra layer of caution (because I messed up some compatibility patches on my first attemp) but now the main menu won't even appear. So I don't know if MO is injecting the mods correctly this time. This happens both in "Mod Organizer" and "Script Extender" load mechanisms.

Right now I cannot identify what is the problem with my game. No warnings on MO, all mods have their masters enabled, everything is clean and optmized. If I messed up something in the ini files, load order, mod priority or whatever no tool tells me what it is. The only warning is that "General Master Mismatch please check the elusive invisible warnings.txt" because skyrim is drunk or whatever. Deactivating mods one by one to troubleshoot will be higly counter productive because of the huge number of mods and possible and compatibility patches.

Here is my modwat.ch

https://modwat.ch/u/Braescher

Edit: I was using an obsolete RS Children Patch for ETaC. Patch -ETaC Complete - RS kids.esp at the same time I was using the patch provided by the ETaC installer. Don't be like me, pay more attention to your compatibility patches.

Edited by Braescher

I have tried fixing potential conflicts and mod priorities again just to make sure I was not doing anything dumb, rebuit my merged, patch and skyproc patches and also download the crashfix and skse plugin preloader. My Modwatch is updated but the problem persists.

Sorry for the bump, the next update will be an edit not a reply.

I found the patience to check plugin by plugin. It seems that I was using an obsolete RS Children Patch for ETaC. Patch -ETaC Complete - RS kids.esp. I'll remove this mod, rebuild PaMa and DSR skyproc patches and will update this.

• 4 years later...