Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

In response to post #43209810.

christoph392008 wrote: Stunning. Explains a lot on the MO end tho. Being saddled with NMM (lacking a stable MO for FO4) hasn't always been a pleasure.

Excited to see what happens!

Please don't draw the wrong conclusion here: MO2 progress was very slow long before I was offered this position. My previous job was quite tiring and made it hard for me to invest time into MO.
This slow progress on MO was a reason for me to accept the offer, it wasn't the other way around.

Of course there was some progress on MO and now there is none but I'm not sure if I would have had a stable MO2 anytime soon even if I had continued.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had to check if it was April 1st.

Wow. This is... surprising.

I'm a pretty diehard MO fan. It does have a significantly steeper learning curve than NMM, yes, but is a much more powerful tool. It's a flat out amazing tool, actually, despite the somewhat dated GUI.

Which is why I fall into the "concerned" camp. People used MO precisely b/c they didn't want to use NMM. B/c they wanted (possibly even needed) the additional features and level of control that MO provided. So, the big concern, of course, is: will those features be retained? Or, in the goal to try to please/appeal to everyone -- advanced and novice users -- will the new tool end up with too many compromises? Ultimately, the question is this: Do the goals Nexus has for NMM redux align with what MO users expect (and were expecting) from MO?

Well... I guess we'll find out.

Edited by moho25

Nice to hear, I hope the best for all of the NMM Team and their newcomer Tannin ;)

One thing for Dark0ne though, more related to articles in general:

Your articles could really improve if you would use some headlines in between the walls of text. If the first third of the article is "just" the preamble, people will tend to skip parts or stop reading. Headlines allow separating parts of the text and direct people. It also improves readability, which is important in longer articles. (In this article having a section called "Future" would make it easy for people to see what's going to happen with NMM/MO, which is arguably the most important part).

Hope this helps! :)

Fantastic news, a great decision indeed ! Thank you for everything you have been doing for the modding community ! I'm excited to see how the modding scene will evolve with this new tool and all the features, like profiles, you are developing.

I'm curious to see how you plan to give us the ability to mod all the games with one tool. Some games are harder to mod than others, and require specific tools, like the Mass Effect trilogy. How will you tackle these ? By integrating the tools already made for these games, or creating new ones ?

Edited by CreeperLava

Based on the "complaints" coming up already, wouldn't it be a good idea to simply offer two seperate views like "simple" and "advanced".

Simple covers the basics like turning mods on and off, basic load order etc. like NMM currently does while the advanced view offers things like managing data overrides etc.?

People with a low amount of conflicts can just stick to the simple view and be happy and not worry about which file gets overwritten by what, while more advanced users can fiddle with their overrides etc.

Simple might just look like OBMM/FOMM while advanced looks along the lines of NMM/MO?

Just and idea :D

In response to post #43209560. #43209910 is also a reply to the same post.

Dreadborn wrote: An update is always (well, most of the times) good news for every program we use BUT do we have to uninstall ALL our mods AGAIN?? Can't we avoid this somehow? It's totally a pain and prevent us from updating NMM and benefit from any new feature.
Thx.
Tannin42 wrote: We are of course aware of this problem. On the other hand we don't want old "baggage" to hold us back.
I can't make any promise yet but we will look into importing from existing NMM and MO installations into the new versions and I will do my best to make updates of the new manager more robust.

There must be a way to make the new mod manager get along with, for example, NMM profiles or something along that stretch so that existing NMM profiles can be imported?

In response to post #43210445.

CreeperLava wrote: Fantastic news, a great decision indeed ! Thank you for everything you have been doing for the modding community ! I'm excited to see how the modding scene will evolve with this new tool and all the features, like profiles, you are developing.

I'm curious to see how you plan to give us the ability to mod all the games with one tool. Some games are harder to mod than others, and require specific tools, like the Mass Effect trilogy. How will you tackle these ? By integrating the tools already made for these games, or creating new ones ?

Ideally we'd prefer to use existing libraries / tools to implement advanced features instead of reinventing the wheel, but this will have to be decided on a case-by-case basis: A tool with a command line interface or a library will be relatively easy to integrate but we can do very little with a pure gui application apart from starting it.