Werewolf Overhaul

dianacat777

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, interest!

As for two different strains... actually, that might fit in another way. In CoH, you could infect others by attacking them or by forcing them to drink a potion. (Meaning that it was feasible to code disease transfer in such a way.) What if the 'curse' style lycanthropy was passed on by attacking - i.e., the traditional werewolf bite, while the whole blood-drinking Companion thing gives that strain?

A werewolf is a werewolf - I'm assuming that any werewolf could pass on either 'strain', as they aren't so much strains at all as how Hircine deals out his blessing. Accept him willingly, and he'll grant you control, recognizing you as a hunter in your own right.

So you could infect people by attacking them in wolf form, giving that version of the curse, or you could get a follower who trusts you to drink your blood, and give them that version.

I wonder if the person who worked on CoH: Resurrected might be willing to at least look at this.

Edited by dianacat777

Yay, interest!

As for two different strains... actually, that might fit in another way. In CoH, you could infect others by attacking them or by forcing them to drink a potion. (Meaning that it was feasible to code disease transfer in such a way.) What if the 'curse' style lycanthropy was passed on by attacking - i.e., the traditional werewolf bite, while the whole blood-drinking Companion thing gives that strain?

A werewolf is a werewolf - I'm assuming that any werewolf could pass on either 'strain', as they aren't so much strains at all as how Hircine deals out his blessing. Accept him willingly, and he'll grant you control, recognizing you as a hunter in your own right.

So you could infect people by attacking them in wolf form, giving that version of the curse, or you could get a follower who trusts you to drink your blood, and give them that version.

I wonder if the person who worked on CoH: Resurrected might be willing to at least look at this.

That... is an awesome idea. Makes more sense, too. Also, regarding other actual strains of Lycanthropy, it would be cool to give them different "Roles", if you will, to add more diversity among them. (keep in mind that in this idea werewolves still can't sneak, reserving that specialty for werevultures) So for example:

Werewolves are the master damage dealers in Hircine's Library of lycan. No really, they can do some SERIOUS damage. Their large, sharp claws having the ability to tear through armor, reaching the enemy's flesh regardless. They're the fastest of the three. (DPS: 10% chance to cause bleed out damage, does 5% more damage to demoralized targets)

Werebears on the other hand, are the most durable sons O' guns in Hircine's Library of Lycan, and can take considerably more damage than werewolves due to their remarkably tough hide. However, due to their large frame they're not nearly as fast as their canine cousins.They can't even outrun a horse, though they can still easily catch up with your average man or mer when on all fours. Their claws are also not nearly as long as their werewolf counter-parts, and cannot pierce through armor like they can, however, their raw strength and preference of blunt force trauma can still critically injure even the most armored of adventurers. (TANK: 15% resistance to normal weapons, 5% critical strike chance)

Werevultures are crafty bastards. Due to their slender, frail frame (think Hagraven-esque) they're the physically weakest of the three being only as durable as an average Nord, and their top running speed while sprinting is as fast as a healthy adventurer's sprint. As a result, they prefer to take their prey by surprise, making them the stealth masters in Hircine's library of Lycan. However, beware to those who have the chance of fighting one face-to-face, for their field of expertise has made them very efficient at spotting weak points in an opponents armor and WILL exploit them when forced into combat. (ROGUE: 10% harder to detect when sneaking, (stacks with sneak perk ranks) ignores 10% armor rating)

I'm just throwing stuff out there. When thinking up the werebear's reason for critical strike chance, I was imagining it hitting the chest piece of a warrior's solid steel armor so hard that it caves in, critically injuring the opponent's chest inside (see wut I did thar? :tongue: ) I also couldn't think of much to add to werewolves ability-wise, which is why it's so short. Tell me what you think.

Edited by Zenchii

Well, you're forgetting about the other four strains of lycanthropy. Tamriel has seven werecreatures. Wolf, bear, and vulture, but also boar, crocodile, shark, and lion.

It goes sort of like this;

Werewolves: can be found everywhere

Werevultures: Specific to Valenwood

Wereboars: Specific to High Rock

Werebears: Pretty much in Skyrim

Werelions: Black Marsh, Cyrodiil, Elsweyr, western Morrowind

Werecrocodiles: Black Marsh, southern Morrowind

Weresharks: Apparently in the seas everywhere, but no reputable sightings.

Because of the diversity, it's hard to restrict things to one particular strain. Rather, I think things should mix and match. That way, you can be faithful to the lore and gameplay of previous games like Daggerfall and Morrowind, and still specialize.

As such, werewolves should be able to sneak just as anything can sneak. People can sneak, and we're not all great hunters. :P Still, though, I'd agree that each species should have its own perks and aptitudes. Without attributes, as in previous games, it may be harder... But I'd imagine werebears would have more health, hitting power, and stamina, but have diminished sneak and speed. Werecrocodiles could breathe (and have improved sight, if possible) underwater, werevultures could fly, so on.

But for now, I'd rather find people who could work on this mod itself than create the other six strains. The mechanics of particular strains probably shouldn't be bothered with until those particular strains exist. x3 For now, I'm just concerned with how to change the werewolf experience.

Edited by dianacat777

Well, you're forgetting about the other four strains of lycanthropy. Tamriel has seven werecreatures. Wolf, bear, and vulture, but also boar, crocodile, shark, and lion.

It goes sort of like this;

Werewolves: can be found everywhere

Werevultures: Specific to Valenwood

Wereboars: Specific to High Rock

Werebears: Pretty much in Skyrim

Werelions: Black Marsh, Cyrodiil, Elsweyr, western Morrowind

Werecrocodiles: Black Marsh, southern Morrowind

Weresharks: Apparently in the seas everywhere, but no reputable sightings.

Because of the diversity, it's hard to restrict things to one particular strain. Rather, I think things should mix and match. That way, you can be faithful to the lore and gameplay of previous games like Daggerfall and Morrowind, and still specialize.

As such, werewolves should be able to sneak just as anything can sneak. People can sneak, and we're not all great hunters. :P Still, though, I'd agree that each species should have its own perks and aptitudes. Without attributes, as in previous games, it may be harder... But I'd imagine werebears would have more health, hitting power, and stamina, but have diminished sneak and speed. Werecrocodiles could breathe (and have improved sight, if possible) underwater, werevultures could fly, so on.

But for now, I'd rather find people who could work on this mod itself than create the other six strains. The mechanics of particular strains probably shouldn't be bothered with until those particular strains exist. x3 For now, I'm just concerned with how to change the werewolf experience.

Yeah. I tried adding the others but it was really difficult to think of something unique for the boars and lions, and while crocs and sharks are aquatic, giving them water based advantages is kinda useless since there's nothing to do in the water. They kinda have aquaman syndrome, in a way.

As for sneaking; from what I can tell from playing as other creatures, if it doesn't have an animation, it just can't do it. The only exceptions I've found is the channeled cast target animation (the one used with casting flames) can substitute the channeled cast self animation (as seen when casting healing) But that's it. From that observation I can only assume that the only thing keeping werewolves from sneaking is the lack of a sneak animation. Not entirely sure, though. I'm no animator, so I can't do anything about it, unfortunately, but hopefully someone that can will read this and get interested.

Edited by Zenchii

True, there is very little to do underwater. But... I don't know. Like I said, cross those bridges when we get there.

Sneaking... true. But I wouldn't doubt that somebody could bend the mesh and make an animation. Could you try to contort the werewolf into the human sneak model, I wonder?

For now, I want to flesh out the actual mod and its concepts itself. I can write lines, prompts, dialohue, and can spend time creating NPCs on the CS, but I'm no modder. I don't understand code and everything I do just goes weird.

Edited by dianacat777

While I agree with the idea, I think control of it should be obtainable for the experienced. Possibly a skill tree for it. Likewise a skill tree for vampirism? If at all possible. Or maybe a ring of hircine that stops transformations/ gives you control. :)

Some great ideas flying round here, this is one area of skyrim that definitely needs modding. My main suggestion would be: Perks.

By creating a werewolf perk tree you can easily level werewolves and remain with one strain of lycanthropy: the perks could be associated with 'controlling the beast within' so you can only regenerate health, sneak or transform at will once you are a high level werewolf. Other perks could include increased damage output and a detect life power, and shouts while in wolf form.

I feel that using perks would let a mod such as this fit more into the feel of skyrim, and would mean that becoming one is more of a choice: do you want to be more proficient with blade, bow, magic or beast form?

That's a very good idea, I'm not really a fan of the 'perks entirely' idea because I want to recreate lycanthropy entirely. :/ Perks to update your beast form, I like... but not to dictate this itself. Basically, I want to create a strain of lycanthropy that can be contracted by wild werewolves, and turns you into a werewolf semirandomly at nightfall. Sneak is something I don't really want to compromise on because I feel like it's a necessary part of gameplay. Look back to Bloodmoon. If you weren't sneaking as a werewolf, you were very, very dead when you tried to fight the Skaal, or through the glacier. As one of Hircine's hounds, you should have the ability to sneak around. You are a hunter. Stalk your prey. Perhaps a perk could make you better at it, but the base functionality really should be there at the start. That's like saying your character shouldn't be able to wield a bow until he gets a perk in Archery.

As for shouts, detect life, and improvements - yeah, those are all viable perks, because they help you, but aren't necessary. Trust me. For this whole '2-minutes-of-being-wolfy' thing, you don't need sneak, because you're really just charging in and meatblending. When you're spending protracted periods of time in wolf form, you want sneak, unless you're just going to sit on your haunches and do nothing for the whole night. Sneak is necessary to get away from friendly NPCs who spot you and want to kill you, it's necessary to get past tight concentrations of enemies that could kill you if they all attacked at once...

I'm fond of the idea of keeping the Companions strain for two reasons; one, it won't screw up existing werewolf NPCs and cause massive wars in Whiterun and Falkreath (the DB's cool with werewolf transformations, no obvious issues there), and the more important two; it lets people who prefer the Companions-type lycanthropy download this mod just to have more werewolves running around, improved wolf form, being able to infect others, et cetera. A hypothetical perk tree really could be one size fits all for both.

Edited by dianacat777

I like the ideas. Turning it back to a disease that can't be controlled and splitting the variations of werewolf "power" into 2 diff strains is really interesting. Turning into a werewolf semi-randomly would be cool. If I'm understanding correctly, if you become one of the "wild werewolves", the Companions quest is the answer to curing it and being able to learn how to control it?

Moon phases would be really cool. Wearing the ring of hircine to counteract it is a neat idea, so the player has to actively pay attention to the night sky to not find himself transforming at a bad moment (like inside a town around guards or something).

Werewolf companions is also a must...seriously. Your idea of creating "packs" with the more beastly werewolves out in the wild who are losing their humanity is a good one. It'd be interesting to see the difference between recruiting a wild werewolf vs a trained werewolf (who can control their transformation). It would be even more awesome to attack maybe a guard or citizen of Skyrim and infect them with the disease and follow them in humanoid form and see their daily routines change, and eventually see them lose control during a transformation. I'd follow them out into the wild where they changed back and acted lost and confused in dialogue options and would recruit them to follow me :) I'd be like "Welcome to the club." lol

PS: werewolf sneak would help too. and love the ideas for customizing your wolf-self...taking a step further would be adding different skins/wolf manes to give your look a bit of variety. :)