Werewolf Overhaul

dianacat777

Some great ideas flying round here, this is one area of skyrim that definitely needs modding. My main suggestion would be: Perks.

By creating a werewolf perk tree you can easily level werewolves and remain with one strain of lycanthropy: the perks could be associated with 'controlling the beast within' so you can only regenerate health, sneak or transform at will once you are a high level werewolf. Other perks could include increased damage output and a detect life power, and shouts while in wolf form.

I feel that using perks would let a mod such as this fit more into the feel of skyrim, and would mean that becoming one is more of a choice: do you want to be more proficient with blade, bow, magic or beast form?

A perk system for it would be interesting. You could pick one of two paths: More power, but less control. (transforming against your will, being forced to feed at least once every transformation cycle otherwise get nerfed in mortal form, basically something closer to morrowind) or more control with less power (able to transform at will once per day, interact more with the environment, (Using a claw to pick a lock, for example) able to use, as mentioned, dragon shouts, but you loose some of the form's raw power in the process)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really would prefer to keep the two strains separate, because being able to become infected by wild werewolves is something I consider really important.

It probably seems like I'm being stubborn for no good reason, but I really want to see the Bloodmoon/CoHesque experience back in the game; like, what you're considering as the no-control part end of the perk tree, would be where I'd put the starting point for being infected. You start out cursed, and can either work towards falling deeper into the beast, or gaining control back. This might not even be perk-based. In CoH, you became a good or evil werewolf (and gained certain powers accordingly) based on what you did in your werewolf form. It really depended on if you tried to avoid fights or just went around killing everyone (some NPCs are tagged as evil and could be killed without penalty, but guards and innocents would drive you deeper.) Companions lycanthropy is really something else entirely... A perk tree that followed only skills and boosts could apply well to both.

Kairo, love the ideas. :D It would be fun to mess around with NPCs like that, if possible... And for customising your wolf, we do have mods that alter the werewolf skin. The problem is that if you use one of them, every werewolf in the game follows that model. That can't be fixed until we have the CS.

I'm not terribly sure about Shouting as a werewolf. The mechanics are entirely possible... but just like you can't crochet with pancake hands, how can a werewolf form the words? Distorrted vocal chords and all that.

Lockpicking with a claw... I think the claws are too thick. What if you could try bashing a door instead? Or clawing through the chain? This is something you could have a perk to learn.

Edited by dianacat777

Once the basic mechanics of this mod are worked out, I'd love to create quests and such. :D Morrowind had warring vampire clans... werewolf packs would be very cool. Might be able to create some camps as bases for them. Each pack might specialize in something, too, like even further boosted sneak or strength. Perhaps another might have boosted speed (you can change the movement speed and jump height of yourself and npcs, I think)

Right now, though, I need to find people who can and are willing to work on this. :/ I can write, but I have the coding skill of a soggy fruitcake.

Potions, Alchemy needs to be included....Secret potions that let you have special werewolf control ect... Poisons you slip some werewolf blood (your own) some Moon sugar and some others things in a Vial, slip it into a pocket or cup and BOOM they are a werewolf? Allow you to change appearance of you and others through potions, seems more realistic... Locked Doors are a problem....Maybe a perk Tree, allowing you to break open locks on doors with the right Skill perk. There would-be be a mini game of finding the weak spot and doing something to smash the mechanism in all but master and above locks... Lots of other ideas too, your a hunter you need more control on the environment, Clinging to 60o Angles. Jumping from big trees ( I am big trees like only trees in some modded areas, with platforms made of the thick trunks...there needs to a really wild place filled with Werwolves and stuff...Like one of those undergroud ones with the huge trees, A werewolve armour Smith (Wolf armour version upgraded to expand during transformation...Ebondy, Daedric and Dragonscale ect version of the armour :psyduck:

A degree in crw? Wow, you've brave. :o Writing's really my passion in life, but I just don't think I could ever manage to make a living that way. Think I'm going to go into engineering and then write on the side. Best of luck! And it'd be fun to work with another writer :3

Oops... hmm. I like the idea of the werewolf blood. Changing your own looks would be simpler just through a function (like in CoH), or pertaining to followers, a dialogue dropdown. That worked brilliantly in CoH. I wonder if I can find a video of it, or picture, or something.

If this mod came to fruition, there would be werewolves in the wilderness. Aside from possible clans, having areas filled with werewolves would likely be a deathtrap for non-werewolf players, though. I /adore/ those glades, though - Sinding's hideout is drop-dead gorgeous. One of those could serve as a wonderful place to put a werewolf pack.

As for werewolf armor... that's a job for somebody else, I'm afraid. I don't see how metal could expand with you (magic!!! seems a poor excuse despite how applicable it could be), and I feel like wearing a metal suit would confuse the beast and just get in its way regardless. It's the perfect predator on its own.

Edited by dianacat777

I really would prefer to keep the two strains separate, because being able to become infected by wild werewolves is something I consider really important.

It probably seems like I'm being stubborn for no good reason, but I really want to see the Bloodmoon/CoHesque experience back in the game; like, what you're considering as the no-control part end of the perk tree, would be where I'd put the starting point for being infected. You start out cursed, and can either work towards falling deeper into the beast, or gaining control back. This might not even be perk-based. In CoH, you became a good or evil werewolf (and gained certain powers accordingly) based on what you did in your werewolf form. It really depended on if you tried to avoid fights or just went around killing everyone (some NPCs are tagged as evil and could be killed without penalty, but guards and innocents would drive you deeper.) Companions lycanthropy is really something else entirely... A perk tree that followed only skills and boosts could apply well to both.

Kairo, love the ideas. :D It would be fun to mess around with NPCs like that, if possible... And for customising your wolf, we do have mods that alter the werewolf skin. The problem is that if you use one of them, every werewolf in the game follows that model. That can't be fixed until we have the CS.

I'm not terribly sure about Shouting as a werewolf. The mechanics are entirely possible... but just like you can't crochet with pancake hands, how can a werewolf form the words? Distorrted vocal chords and all that.

Lockpicking with a claw... I think the claws are too thick. What if you could try bashing a door instead? Or clawing through the chain? This is something you could have a perk to learn.

Nah, You don't sound stubborn at all, it's totally understandable. In fact, I was afraid I myself was sounding a bit stubborn what with all my ideas centering around control of some kind. :blush: Sorry about that. Anyway, reading all this stuff about CoH makes me interested to play it. I never actually played it because I wasn't satisfied with the implementation of the transformation, (oblivion's version of the Gamebryo engine just couldn't do it right) but now I wanna try it to see how it works.

In regards to distorted vocal cords, I don't think that's a problem. When comparing man and mer's vocal chords to the average dragons, we sound like chipmunks, yet we can still use dragon shouts. Even the Draugr, who's vocal chords have certainly seen better days, can still Fus Ro Dah me half way across the room, So it wouldn't be to out there.

I wonder if it would be possible to link coat colors to hair color when the CK comes out.

Edited by Zenchii

Ohh I like it, but can the Ring of Hircine be used to keep from transforming? I would like to put it on if I am doing something important and don't want it messed up, like doing a quest where I must interact a lot and requires fast traveling, or doing a DB mission and ruining my assassination. I know that it would make it more real but it would just tick me off, so it would be nice to have the option.

Oh and sorry if you mentioned it but I didn't see it when I first read it or when I scanned again.