One thing I've noticed, is that there isn't much in the way of nice, easy to understand, and commented scripts for FO4Edit, which presents quite a big wall to lads who've never touched Pascal before.

So what I've decided to do, is go through all of my scripts and add comments to them. So far, I've done four or five, and I'd like ta get the opinions of people who have never touched the stuff before. Some proper opinions 'n' criticism 'n' such.

A super small & simple script with comments can be seen 'ere. And a relatively complex one here.

Some feedback on stuff that still confuses ya 'n' such would be most welcome.

Looks shiny to me. Took me a minute to figure out some of the Pascal syntax but that's not the fault of your comments. They provide a good amount of information, I think.

If anything I would suggest a quick comment on how vars are created - I figured it out, but I've been around programming stuff for quite a while.

Edited by Reneer

Looks shiny to me. Took me a minute to figure out some of the Pascal syntax but that's not the fault of your comments. They provide a good amount of information, I think.

If anything I would suggest a quick comment on how vars are created - I figured it out, but I've been around programming stuff for quite a while.

Done and done. Should make things a bit easier to understand.

Boy what a mixed thought I have on this subject.

I've seen comments used only to notate things that are not obvious, as personal reminders about what certain things do (or *should do* :confused:). Some use comments as in-file documentation. That's kinda how JavaDocs works, and it's quite handy. I like how you did yours for complete newbs (I have very little pascal knowledge). It looks more like a tutorial on how to write pascal than comments about what your script functions are doing. Not that that is entirely bad. I have some batch files I wrote which have complete documentation inside them so if I ever have to edit them I remember wtf it does. One of them was ~200 lines of actual commands and ~2300 lines of comments (documentation). All in all I like what you're trying to do. :geek:

Edited by BigAndFlabby

The idea was that I'd make the scripts understandable by people who have never touched the stuff before, but damn if it doesn't take a lot of time.

Probably going to stick with having those four verbose scripts, and then have more to-the-point comments in the others.